Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,958

0 members and 2,958 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: LED strip lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Omg that sky hide is amazing! Eeden would LOVE that! What are the pvc pipes for?
    Another thought.. the biggest downside for the sky hide mount from RBI is they only have it for their large hides, at least for now.

Ghost fits with plenty of space in the mediums (way too big for smalls tho), so the large as a sky hide may not get much use from him for a while. He's probably about 3 feet long and maybe as thick as a quarter at his thickest or slightly smaller.

My carpet python adores his small sky hide and I've got plans in the works for the corns to have them too soon. Our juvie corn currently loves sitting on top of a plant near the top of his cage and eats like a carpet python from on top of it frequently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I LITERALLY just finished this project in my enclosures - I have 5 Animal Plastics T10's, a T8, and a T12.

My honest recommendation - DO NOT waste your money with cheap multicolored/white LED strips - you know the ones that come with a cool remote...WASTE OF MONEY!!!

I just installed 12" LED lights (18" in the T12) I picked up at Home Depot and they do an amazing job. Installed on top [portion of the litter dam facing towards the back of the enclosure. No more headlamp when I need to clean or feed - just a click of the installed switch and all is well. They have a "low" and a "high" setting - both light up the enclosure nicely. Routed a hole in the side for the wire to pass through then velcro the switch to the side - all set!!! Now I'm thinking about getting smart plugs to control them with my Alexa LOL

(https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-12-in...8845/301534319) and the switch (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...5410/301370564)
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Awesome! Do they screw in?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

“My honest recommendation - DO NOT waste your money with cheap multicolored/white LED strips - you know the ones that come with a cool remote...WASTE OF MONEY!!!”

Have you had issues with them? Maybe I lucked out but some of mine are 3yrs old and doing just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BR8080 View Post
    My honest recommendation - DO NOT waste your money with cheap multicolored/white LED strips - you know the ones that come with a cool remote...WASTE OF MONEY!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Have you had issues with them? Maybe I lucked out but some of mine are 3yrs old and doing just fine
    those LED strips have worked fine for me as well. the only thing is they need better adhesives or fasteners. and i messed up the remote control box by pressing too many random buttons randomly really fast b/c i was playing around. Lol all the buttons got switched around/de-programmed. i didn't know how to re-program it and ended up buying a new controller box and remote.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

The lights themselves weren't awful for me, but I don't have a good way to connect them and the clip on connectors I found were always slipping somewhere and leaving one cage or another turned off at random. I don't have the supplies or steady hands to solder things that small together, so maybe that way works better.

The power supplies that come with are also fairly junk-y as I've had 2 of 3 burn out on my with less load than the box states they can handle. Maybe used up to 2/3rds of the stated power load they could handle.

Light quality was garbage as far as color tone. It gave everything a very cool/blue cast and I was just not a fan of it. The custom colors had no way to fix it without a red hue instead; no pure white or daylight tones possible. I spent about 2 hours trying to do that at the beginning.

Maybe another brand of lights has better color, but the hassle to keep all my cages working was too much for my tastes.

I'm 2 or 3 weeks in on the RBI LED bars in 2 cages and love it so far. The light shows really close to true color like sunlight which is really nice and it clearly illuminates everything to make spot cleaning super easy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (02-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Awesome! Do they screw in?
    Yes - 2 screws hold the fixture in place.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    “My honest recommendation - DO NOT waste your money with cheap multicolored/white LED strips - you know the ones that come with a cool remote...WASTE OF MONEY!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah they just didn't have a nice white - I probably ordered the wrong ones but I'm very happy with the new lighting.

[QUOTE=Ax01;2680274]those LED strips have worked fine for me as well. the only thing is they need better adhesives or fasteners. and i messed up the remote control box by pressing too many random buttons randomly really fast b/c i was playing around. Lol all the buttons got switched around/de-programmed. i didn't know how to re-program it and ended up buying a new controller box and remote.[/QUOte}

Agreed - the overall set up is pretty inexpensive. I just used the sealant AP sends with the enclosures to adhere the strip into the channel - seems to work. I don't use the different colors as it takes away from the enclosure IMHO - white works for me.
    Ball Python
    Boas
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ball Python
    Boas
    Pythons
    Cats

Snake Wishlist
    SD/D Retic
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12