Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,704

4 members and 2,700 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

LED strip lights?

So I am looking at roll strip lights.

my questions:

can an you cut the strip?

if you cut them into let's say 30" strips how do you attach the 2nd and 3rd strips to the power unit?

do I have to buy additional power units?

Any other hints or products you like?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: LED strip lights?

They sell connectors on Amazon that you can do yourself for those lights. I did do this and could send links and stuff, but honestly? I would avoid it. It took a lot of trial and error to find all the right connectors to get it working at all and I have had issues every few months I've had it at best. In particular 1 cage always seemed to spontaneously be yellow tinted light when the others on the same control were white.

I set up the LED strip lighting in 4 T8s and a smaller 30" PVC cage last spring and have had 1 power supply burn out (running a total of 16 foot of light strip, less than the 30 that came in the spool with that power supply that it was supposed to support) and a few weeks ago all of them quit working entirely for no identifiable reason. I had a spare power supply that didn't work and triple checked all connections.. nada. Best guess is the LED strips deteriorated from humidity or heat in a few enclosures or just burned out...

I also had issues with 2 of the 4 having odd colors as a result of the connectors and one of them that was somewhat loose (they aren't super tight attachments) so it would occasionally just turn off because it slipped a tiny bit, even from just the dog walking by and once when the A/C kicked on. None of the LED strips put out a true white either, it was always slightly too cool/blue and made some of the snakes look odd in just that light.

I'm in the process of swapping over to the mounted Reptile Basics LED lights because the strips just didn't work out for me. Way brighter and surprisingly easy to install, especially if you can fit a drill into the enclosure without removing the lid. Just loosen enough to lift and slip the plug through a gap somewhere.

If you really want to do it, I can probably go back and get links to the kinds of connections that I found were easiest to work with (ones without soldering), if only to have a name for what you can search for. Not sure I would recommend the exact parts with the issues I've had though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    That helped a lot thank you!

They also sell 12 strips but I didn't know how well those work either.

I will ill look at the reptile basics ones as well.

Thank you!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

I have one RBI light set up in a 30" cage, the 22" light bar one, and I'll take some pictures when the light is on tomorrow and I do some cleanup on that cage for an idea how nicely it lights. I'll also take a picture of the mounting mechanism for reference; it is as easy as putting the cord through a hole/slit and removing the lid for a minute and screwing in 2 brackets with 1 screw each.

Here is an old picture from before the LED strips pooped out on me and I will snap one of the AP installed LED strip when the timers flip on tomorrow too (that is my only one still working lol), just for reference. I like my lights mounted along the front, so the AP is the only one lighting from the rear of the cage.

You can kind of see the weird coloring on him by comparison to this one with normal lights and some daylight from a window. He's usually pretty orange on the body, not as red as the cage lights made him appear.

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 02-09-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks
    Would there be a way to attach to a screen top? I'm building things for my AP cages.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Thanks
    I work with led’s at work all the time, and like said above, trying to cut and splice them together is really not good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (02-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Would there be a way to attach to a screen top? I'm building things for my AP cages.
    Probably a way. I'd guess you could swap the screw for a bolt/nut if you find one with a good head shape for the bolt/bracket. Maybe just silicone/hot glue the top side of the screw above the screen to keep it in place. Or just set it on top of the screen and secure it another way.

It mounts really well in PVC though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Woo! I am super forgetful about pictures.

I ended up getting this one of my latest install during testing today. This is an AP T8 with the 42" light bar from RBI.

I am also trying out their sky hide mount which is nice so far. Smoother than the mirror clip one I have for a RBI small hide in another cage right now.

Colors on the snake with both lights for reference. This one is WAY more true to color (well, except for the glare... I didn't get one without some of that today)

Old one made everything kind of blue, his red-orange color was really odd and sort of tinted magenta, and it made his light orange much closer in shade.. - no clue why it posted upside down.... tapatalk why???

Here is an older shot of the AP. From my height and the height this cage sits, I get the visibility of the light strip all the time when I look in.. not my ideal way to light things, but the color balance is pretty normal.

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 02-12-2019 at 09:11 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (02-13-2019)

Thanks
    Omg that sky hide is amazing! Eeden would LOVE that! What are the pvc pipes for?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (02-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Omg that sky hide is amazing! Eeden would LOVE that! What are the pvc pipes for?
    They're a climbing thing I put in, just a combo of random pipe lengths, elbows/tees, and end caps. Pretty sure they are rarely if ever used by this milksnake (tho he is never out much when I look. So... maybe I just don't see it, so they are left in). They do make a handy prop for fake plants to hang from for visual interest and extra clutter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast