Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

0 members and 2,879 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls

Correction to title: Should be IHS in the UK

This is sad. They should know better.
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 02-09-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    - Mason

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019),MarkL1561 (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Sorry but it really doesn't ruin my day (while I know it's a "slippery slope") and Brian really needs to drink a LOT LESS COFFEE. Just sayin'...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's lousy to breed animals with known neurological impairment.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-09-2019 at 01:00 PM.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (02-19-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-10-2019),Crowfingers (03-12-2019),e_nigma (02-09-2019),Foxy (02-09-2019),Jbabycsx (02-09-2019),JRLongton (02-11-2019),Toad37 (02-09-2019),Udon (04-10-2020)

Thanks
    Ehh... I mean he's spreading false info by making it sound like the UK itself has banned spider balls. Yeah he corrects it, but only in his pinned comment. Nowhere in the video or title did he feel the need to change what he said.

I personally stand more on the side of not supporting the breeding of spiders. I would never buy one to support breeders making more of them. I understand and respect people who want them to continue to be bred. But for the most part the only people I see getting really upset and defensive about it are breeders who get a lot of money from breeding spider morphs.

I don't think it's fair to the snakes to keep breeding them if they have a neurological defect. We have no honest way of telling how it really affects them, if they're suffering at all, etc. because we can't ask them. I don't think it's worth is for a pretty pattern when there's so many other morphs out there.

It's just my opinion though. I think they're very beautiful snakes and I wouldn't mind even owning one, as long as it was a re-home / a rescue and didn't support the breeding of more of them.

I think this video is a great example of how a wobble can actually affect the livelihood of a snake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HYaQjF74_I I know not all spiders have a wobble this bad, but this just breaks my heart to watch, and after seeing videos like this I simple don't want to support the breeding of spiders, because there's always a chance they'll end up like this.

And I think this video by Amazing Animal Adventures does a great job of explaining the wobble and the problems with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflWWZhmoYM

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019),Crowfingers (03-12-2019),Ditto (02-09-2019),e_nigma (02-09-2019),gunkle (02-09-2019),Udon (04-10-2020)

Thanks

Re: So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sorry but it really doesn't ruin my day (while I know it's a "slippery slope") and Brian really needs to drink a LOT LESS COFFEE. Just sayin'...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's lousy to breed animals with known neurological impairment.
    Yeah but having politicians make a decision that greatly impacts the hobby and it’s economy based on ignorant opinion is not good policy. If you don’t agree with it fine, don’t tell others what they can think and do. I have a adult male bumblebee and I’ve never even noticed a wobble. These animals are perfectly healthy. What about English bulldogs? On average an owner spends around $5,000 a year on vet related bills. They have eye, skin, hip, and stomach issues. They also have issues with seizures as well. So should we ban bulldogs as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (02-09-2019),the_rotten1 (02-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    Ehh... I mean he's spreading false info by making it sound like the UK itself has banned spider balls. Yeah he corrects it, but only in his pinned comment. Nowhere in the video or title did he feel the need to change what he said.

I personally stand more on the side of not supporting the breeding of spiders. I would never buy one to support breeders making more of them. I understand and respect people who want them to continue to be bred. But for the most part the only people I see getting really upset and defensive about it are breeders who get a lot of money from breeding spider morphs.

I don't think it's fair to the snakes to keep breeding them if they have a neurological defect. We have no honest way of telling how it really affects them, if they're suffering at all, etc. because we can't ask them. I don't think it's worth is for a pretty pattern when there's so many other morphs out there.

It's just my opinion though. I think they're very beautiful snakes and I wouldn't mind even owning one, as long as it was a re-home / a rescue and didn't support the breeding of more of them.

I think this video is a great example of how a wobble can actually affect the livelihood of a snake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HYaQjF74_I I know not all spiders have a wobble this bad, but this just breaks my heart to watch, and after seeing videos like this I simple don't want to support the breeding of spiders, because there's always a chance they'll end up like this.

And I think this video by Amazing Animal Adventures does a great job of explaining the wobble and the problems with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uflWWZhmoYM
    Wow. Didn't know this was even a thing. Guess I need to look into it more before purchasing my snakes. Thanks for the links.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Wow, that video. My banana spider is not bad at all, he strikes with accuracy. He'll twist his neck in a weird way but only when he's roaming around and looking at the top of his enclosure, otherwise he never does it.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    Yeah but having politicians make a decision that greatly impacts the hobby and it’s economy based on ignorant opinion is not good policy. If you don’t agree with it fine, don’t tell others what they can think and do. I have a adult male bumblebee and I’ve never even noticed a wobble. These animals are perfectly healthy. What about English bulldogs? On average an owner spends around $5,000 a year on vet related bills. They have eye, skin, hip, and stomach issues. They also have issues with seizures as well. So should we ban bulldogs as well?

However, I don't think its a politician's "ignorant opinion". As shown by the other posters above, even experienced keepers have reservations about keeping/breeding spiders. If a politician banned retics for example because they thought they were dangerous and scary, that would be an ignorant opinion. Me personally, I doubt I would keep a spider. They look beautiful, and a lot of them don't show any neurological defects, but I don't think I could live with owning one and seeing it do some of the things I've seen some spiders do in videos.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019),e_nigma (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Brian doesn't drink coffee or drink FYI lol.

I agree with brian that it should be up to the breeders. Most spiders are totally ok and live fine. Would I breed them..no.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls

I personally will not breed, buy or support any known “defective” DNA. I ruled out the spider gene and some others completely from my collection.
    I’m sort of libertarian though, so I won’t go so far as to support a “ban.”

Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-09-2019 at 03:43 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I personally will not breed, buy or support any known “defective” DNA. I ruled out the spider gene and some others completely from my collection.
    I’m sort of libertarian though, so I won’t go so far as to support a “ban.”

Curious what other morphs have issue so I can look into it to make an informed decision before I buy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats