Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,128

1 members and 3,127 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: So the UK Really Banned Spider Balls

I don't know if the wobble spiders get is painful or not to the animals
    BUT it's painful for me to watch and it's a disgrace and disrespectful to the snake itself

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2019),royalreilly (02-10-2019)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I don't know if the wobble spiders get is painful or not to the animals
    BUT it's painful for me to watch and it's a disgrace and disrespectful to the snake itself

There is more than just the Spider that wobbles.
    You are also probably talking about full on corkscrewing and not a tilt.

Thanks

Yeah I know it's more morphs than the spider that have issues.
    I just feel so bad for any of them because they're such majestic animals and to have such a bad defect is so sad.

I guess it's called corkscrewing it's just a terrible movement involuntary or not that happens and it's just very very sad to me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Yeah I know it's more morphs than the spider that have issues.
    I just feel so bad for any of them because they're such majestic animals and to have such a bad defect is so sad.

I guess it's called corkscrewing it's just a terrible movement involuntary or not that happens and it's just very very sad to me

Corkscrewing is the term for the severe manifestation of the defect that involves the awful looking uncontrollable motion. Not all spiders corkscrew, many wobble some, and some have no indication they are any different than a pinstripe or normal or anything else.

The ones who corkscrew are the ones I feel should be culled, especially when it is visible from birth. These are the ones that move uncontrollably and seem to flail around more than move, the ones incapable of turning themselves upright, etc. (Not all types of manifestation show in each individual, even severe ones)

The wobble is more like.. watching a small child that isn't quite stable walking yet. Kind of silly looking overall, but far from horrifying or heart-wrenching. These snakes clearly have the control to move and get where they want with very little issue.

Unfortunately, very few videos show the more common mild forms of it. (I bet if they did, people would bash the poster for having a spider with any issue at all and so they don't post it.) The videos always seem to be extremes.. very bad and awful to see over to ones with no wobble at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-10-2019),the_rotten1 (02-10-2019)

Thanks
    I have seen so many people claim their Spider doesn't have any wobble at all. They all do, question is to what extent?
    Most all have a minimum of a head tilt when stressed, always noticable when feeding.

Thanks

@royalreilly It is unfortunate that people jumped to conclusions about the UK ban. I think people should understand the nature of a ban before complaining about it. Admittedly, I don't have the best concept of how things work across the pond myself, but that's why it's important to do research, right?

What I meant by "Why can't people just mind their own business?" is that if you don't like something, don't buy it. It's fine if people don't like the spider morph and choose to stay away from it. Nobody's saying you have to have one. But by the same token, don't try to police the behavior of others. There are a lot of people who love spider ball pythons. Whether you personally believe they should be bred or not, I think each person should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they want to own and breed them. When there is a ban, that decision is taken from us (at least, at that one venue anyway, but who is to say it won't spread?).

And I'm not saying all breeders are trustworthy. There are definitely some deplorables out there who abuse their animals. By the same token though, it's equally ignorant to assume that all breeders are greedy bastards who are only in it for the money and don't care about the welfare of their snakes. The vast majority of breeders do it because we love our animals. Breeders typically put a lot more work into maintaining their snakes than someone who is just keeping a pet and many have decades of experience. Some of them have been breeding snakes longer than I've been alive. You gonna tell me that the opinion of someone who's owned a snake for a year is equal to that?

I can't speak about every snake out there carrying the spider gene, but all the ones I've worked with have been just as healthy as all my other BPs. Without question. And based on all the information I've learned from people who've been in the industry far longer than me, and produced far more animals, I think the main reason you don't hear more about the really bad wobblers is because: A, they very rarely happen, and B, the wobble is dependent on the stress levels of the snake. So if a snake is kept well it likely won't show severe wobble. If it is kept poorly, it gets worse.

So people take a few isolated instances of really bad wobble, the worst they can find, and post it on youtube for shock value. People watch that and think all spiders are that bad. I don't think you should underestimate the effect that media hype has had on this issue.
    Last edited by the_rotten1; 02-11-2019 at 12:11 AM. Reason: oops I did a swear, my bad. took it out
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-12-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (02-11-2019),zina10 (02-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    I agree with Brian. Get the gubmint out of the reptile business!
    Yeah but then you have those breeders that don't really have very many morals just in it to make money and don't care about the welfare of the snake

Brian breeds BPs with the spider gene. Just saying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Brian breeds BPs with the spider gene. Just saying.
    Your point??

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (02-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Your point??
    How can he supports that ban if he is doing it himself?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    How can he supports that ban if he is doing it himself?
    He definitely doesn't support the ban, as the says in the video. He wants the hobby to police itself, like many people do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (02-13-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast