Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,954

0 members and 2,954 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Struck, then left f/t rat uneaten

Hi there,

I got my BP May 2018. She was ~2 1/2 yrs old, and eating f/t when I took her. However, she wouldn't eat for me. After she came home with me, week after week which became month after month went by without eating.

I got a lot of advice. Tried a lot of different things. No luck.

In October 2018 (5 months of not eating), I gave Alice back to the original owner. He was going to see if he could get her eating. First night, she wouldn't take the f/t rat he offered her. Next day, he tried live, and she took it. He gave her 2 more live (total of 3) that she ate. So I got her back with a "full belly" in November.

Since she's come home, she's taken 2 f/t rats from me. I was thrilled the first time she actually took food! Amazed. And so relieved. If she wouldn't convert to f/t, I would have to give her back permanently, because I won't feed live.

At first, she ignored the f/t rats (when she got back home). She took her first rat from me on January 20th. It was so amazing to see. I checked her hide the next morning, to make sure it was gone, and it was. Finally, a win!

I tried to give her another one on January 28. She seemed very curious, but didn't strike. It was left uneaten overnight. So I tried again February 2nd (last weekend). She struck/constricted and ate it. Gone in the morning. YAY! So that's 2 f/t rats she has eaten for me since I first got her in May!

I tried to give her another one last night. She struck it, and curled around it. But later when I checked on her, the rat was left on floor of enclosure and she was on top of one of her hides. I went to bed thinking maybe she'll eat it later, since she DID strike at it and constricted it. But it was still on the floor this morning.

Why did she strike/constrict/then leave it? Is this a normal thing that just happens sometimes? Did I feed too early and she just wasn't hungry? But if that's the case, why bother striking at it at all? I am a bit confused by this behavior? Anybody have any input? Thanks in advance! (I am very new to snakes, and appreciate this site very much!)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Struck, then left f/t rat uneaten

Could be a bunch of things...I normally see Strike/Kill/Abandon in my Royal collection as typical with: onset of a shed, overfeeding, an issue with the prey item, or something wrong with temps/husbandry/environment.

A few of mine hate to be watched when they are eating and if I have my face pressed against the glass or if I'm casting an ominous shadow in the light--they will drop the prey item post-mortem and retreat.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019),e_nigma (02-09-2019),rottn (02-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Could be a bunch of things...I normally see Strike/Kill/Abandon in my Royal collection as typical with: onset of a shed, overfeeding, an issue with the prey item, or something wrong with temps/husbandry/environment.

A few of mine hate to be watched when they are eating and if I have my face pressed against the glass or if I'm casting an ominous shadow in the light--they will drop the prey item post-mortem and retreat.
    Thank you so much for your input! It helps to know that what happened is not something completely unheard of. lol

She last shed Jan 12, and she seems to shed fairly regular monthly, so it could be that. She did take a rat (albeit a smaller rat) last Saturday, so maybe too soon? Maybe I should be feeding bi-weekly? I just don't think this is it though. Her previous owner feeds the snakes weekly with no issues.

Issue with prey item - I wonder? I had 2 rats left after last week's feeding, and I moved them to my small bar fridge freezer, to make room for the dozen rats I bought this week. When I pulled the bag out of the freezer, I noticed the rats were NOT frozen! They were cold, but definitely not frozen. They may as well have been refrigerated all week. I went ahead and used one of these rats, since they were cold, but I have a feeling that if they were in the freezer all week, being kept cold but not frozen... maybe they are ruined after all? I obviously tossed the one she didn't take last night, and I've also tossed the other one. Not gonna risk it, if that's the issue. Probably should have just tossed both as soon as I found then, and offered a new one last night. I'll try and give her one of the new ones tonight, and see if she takes it.

Thanks again. Your input was very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Maybe you're feeding too often.
    What's her weight? What size rat in grams?
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks

Sorry I don't really have an answer for this. When my BP doesn't eat usually it just takes a simple reheat & I always have to wiggle f/t otherwise it won't eat.

Btw, do yall mind if I squeeze in a question?

Not to take away from OPs post, but is this rat too big? Or do I need a better pic?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks

From what the snake did with it I think it's too big right now
    I would go down to size or two in order to get it to eat

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 02-09-2019 at 09:17 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTB View Post
    Not to take away from OPs post, but is this rat too big? Or do I need a better pic?
    Looks a little large. If that is the only size you have available--I would still feed it. I personally prefer to feed prey on the small side.

Note: If you do feed a large prey item and your temps aren't dialed in right you are going to have a regurgitation.
    *.* TNTC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (02-09-2019)

Thanks

I wouldn't go ahead and just feed it if that's the only size you have. Go purchase one of a smaller size and just feed once a week.
    You have to do what needs to be done in order to get the snake to eat and then you have to keep it on a regular schedule.
    That's exactly what I would do everybody's going to have their own opinion I guess

Last edited by Jellybeans; 02-09-2019 at 09:24 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

ArcaneTB (02-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Looks a little large. If that is the only size you have available--I would still feed it. I personally prefer to feed prey on the small side.

Note: If you do feed a large prey item and your temps aren't dialed in right you are going to have a regurgitation.
    Yeah I'm going to check those. Feeding isn't until tomorrow so I'll be observing. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    I wouldn't go ahead and just feed it if that's the only size you have. Go purchase one of a smaller size and just feed once a week.
    You have to do what needs to be done in order to get the snake to eat and then you have to keep it on a regular schedule.
    That's exactly what I would do everybody's going to have their own opinion I guess

It's a little mushed in the package if that matters. I might thaw one out tomorrow to try get a better idea of its size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast