Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,713

2 members and 2,711 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mouth rot

Thanks

mouth rot

Good morning,
    My daughter just got a ball python. We were told he has only eaten once since thanksgiving. We were not too concerned since I had read in my research they can go off food sometimes. We have had him a week, left him alone, no holding. He is in a 30 gallon breeder on coconut fiber, and cypress and have moss as well. He has two hides and lots of greenery and wood to climb. He still didn't eat a week later.

Yesterday I happened to go in my daughters room and saw him making strange mouth movements, not like a stretch or yawn, but more like a grinding. I then noticed inside his mouth is dark? I took a video, and a still of the inside of his mouth.

I already called the vet and made and appt for thursday, but wondered if anyone here has seen this before

Thanks
    Kelly

Thanks

Re: mouth rot

I forgot to add a link to the video

https://youtu.be/h20LGnSvEUQ

I also wanted to add he has a heat mat with the thermostat set to 85, a heat lamp with a dimmer so that is it just warm. He likes to sit under it on his hide sometimes, and humidity is at 50 to 60 percent. Trying to keep it on the higher end

Thanks
    I can't help with mouth rot but, his hot spot (under tank heater) should be around 90f. Ambient temperature in the tank should be around 80f so check what your lamp is doing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

cyvamp (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    I can't help with mouth rot but, his hot spot (under tank heater) should be around 90f. Ambient temperature in the tank should be around 80f so check what your lamp is doing.

So I should up the under tank to 90, and turn off the lamp, or add just a regular non heat bulb?

Thanks
    You need a hot spot with a hide on it (your under tank heater) at about 90f. If you don't have that then adjust it.

The under tank heater doesn't really heat the air in the tank so you still need the lamp unless your room is warm.

You should set the lamp so that the ambient air temperature is around 80f on the cool side. If it's a little warmer on the side with the hot spot that's fine.

I would put the lamp either on the hot side or near the center so that it heats all the tank a bit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

cyvamp (02-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Thanks

I have seen that "grinding" a lot when snakes have a piece of substrate in their mouth. It may be poking at them and they're trying to work it out. Could it be that OP?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

cyvamp (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    I have seen that "grinding" a lot when snakes have a piece of substrate in their mouth. It may be poking at them and they're trying to work it out. Could it be that OP?

That was my thought at 1st, until I saw the inside of his mouth, it just looks abnormal. The vet will let me know if thats just pigment, I don't see any substrate in his mouth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    He doesn’t seem able to close his mouth all the way, have you noticed mucus in the mouth? It’s hard to see clearly in the pic and video? I would definitely get him to a vet pronto!
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

cyvamp (02-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    He doesn’t seem able to close his mouth all the way, have you noticed mucus in the mouth? It’s hard to see clearly in the pic and video? I would definitely get him to a vet pronto!
    There is no Mucus, I have an appt as soon as I could get in, which is Thursday. I am glad I saw him doing this. I have never owned a snake, it's my daughters, but I find him fascinating so I am always peeking in on him when I walk by her room. I could just tell something didn't look right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast