Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,794

1 members and 2,793 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brumation?

Thanks

Brumation?

Hello,

So last weekend I fed my snake Syria and she was fine moving around before that all last week and I took her out a few times last week as well. This week since putting her back in her tank Saturday morning she's been under her tree log hasn't come out at all that I've noticed it's been a busy week so I didn't get the chance to take her out this week but her humidity I have been trying to keep it to where it is suppose to be at I have a humidifier for her tank and she has just been under that log not moving all that much I actually had to poke her a little with the hook I have and spray her with the little bottle of water just to make sure she was still alive I was getting worried but she moved and I am sure she did not like me poking at her. Anyways tomorrow is feeding day again I am not sure if she will eat or not. Is she in brumation? Because I've never had her do this before and she is 4 years old now I know she's not shedding she shows no signs of shedding. Just a little worried about her.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I love my danger noodle

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Ball pythons don't brumate.

Also, I don't know how your husbandry has been the past 4 years you've had her, but ball pythons hiding and not moving much for extended periods of time/coming out a bit at night and going back to hide, is actually normal behavior. I wouldn't worry about it unless she is showing some other symptoms!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019),e_nigma (02-09-2019),Kayleesnaky (03-20-2019),MissterDog (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Also, snakes know that a shed cycle is coming before we can see any signs of it, so sometimes they have every reason to "lay low".

Thanks

Re: Brumation?

Your ball python sounds to me like a normal, healthy ball python. She may actually be out at night while you're asleep, may not be, but they love to hide. I don't see any reason to worry after only a week of seeing this behavior. My male I never catch out unless I wake up in the middle of the night. They're shy!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019),e_nigma (02-09-2019),Kayleesnaky (03-20-2019)

Thanks

Alright cool, I mean when I am sleeping my fiance is usually awake for a few hours and he says he hasn't seen her come out either, I was more worried that she hasn't taken a drink of water in a week, we do have a new set up for her we haven't placed her in it yet we have to do a few things to it and also find a place to put it because it's 48x24x24

I know they like being squished up so some may not approve of a house this big for her being she's only about 4 feet. But I have two hides for her a big water dish and I would be able to put a big branch in there for her to be able to move around so by the time it's all set up she will be pretty squished. I got this one because I feel it would hold the humidity better than the one she's in now that is falling apart.

I guess I'll find out today whether she wants to eat or not.

I love my danger noodle

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IllumiBunny For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    If she's about 4' long, I think the new cage is just fine...as you said, you'll be adding hides & all. Large water bowl might be over-kill but it will add to humidity.
    She's probably been drinking at night when no one's looking. Good luck on the feeding. BTW, are you sure the cage temperatures have been warm enough
    so that she wants to eat? You mentioned that you took her out a few times last week too...possibly your house is cooler than usual too, being winter...that
    could have influenced her appetite some also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If she's about 4' long, I think the new cage is just fine...as you said, you'll be adding hides & all. Large water bowl might be over-kill but it will add to humidity.
    She's probably been drinking at night when no one's looking. Good luck on the feeding. BTW, are you sure the cage temperatures have been warm enough
    so that she wants to eat? You mentioned that you took her out a few times last week too...possibly your house is cooler than usual too, being winter...that
    could have influenced her appetite some also.
    Our house is at 80 degrees lol we hate cold as much as she does though the air in our house is pretty dry we are still working on some things for the new tank to get it ready for her she also did not eat Saturday so we have a pet rat for a while and I just realised today that she is shedding she seems to do it secretly I didn't see her eyes clouded when I held her it didn't feel like her skin was rougher or dull looking. Now I'm trying to find ideas for the background of her tank so it's not just plain white the tank is 48x24x24 but there are no backgrounds I've seen for that size so I guess I'll have to be creative.

I love my danger noodle

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IllumiBunny For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Where did you get that enclosure? Looks nice! What company?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IllumiBunny View Post
    Our house is at 80 degrees lol we hate cold as much as she does though the air in our house is pretty dry we are still working on some things for the new tank to get it ready for her she also did not eat Saturday so we have a pet rat for a while and I just realised today that she is shedding she seems to do it secretly I didn't see her eyes clouded when I held her it didn't feel like her skin was rougher or dull looking. Now I'm trying to find ideas for the background of her tank so it's not just plain white the tank is 48x24x24 but there are no backgrounds I've seen for that size so I guess I'll have to be creative.

I'm not crazy about white background either but once you put in furnishings, you won't notice it much & it has the advantage that it reflects light in the cage. Black
    cages may look cool but they literally swallow the light, making them too dark inside -IMO. Also, I don't know of any backgrounds that I'd recommend inside a cage-
    seems like many who have tried them find they come loose (constant heat & humidity) with their snake stuck behind them. I wouldn't bother using one for that reason.
    If you can find or make something with fake plants & driftwood, it will be very attractive & can be cleaned or replaced easily, whereas a textured background will be a
    constant "magnet" for contamination & bacteria, and be very hard to clean. For health reasons, I wouldn't use one.

Signs of impending shed are subtle, but you'll get better at "advance notice"- sometimes when you look at tummy scutes the edges give it away too (slightly 'doubled').
    Best way: in a dark room, use a small penlight & shine it across the arc of the snake's eye...any early fogginess will show up nicely.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

IllumiBunny (03-19-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Where did you get that enclosure? Looks nice! What company?
    www.diycages.com

I love my danger noodle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast