Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,763

1 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Enclosure approval

I'm planning get my new corn on the 23rd and tonight I completed the enclosure (I hope lol).
    So I'm just looking for approval to make sure I've got everything I need!
    Uth is hooked up to a thermostat set to 86* with the probe between the uth and glass, I had it running for a few days to make sure everything was working correctly & the glass over the uth stayed consistently at 85* and the cold side stayed in the low 70s.
    I have identical hides on each end, a small water dish and a few fake plants and a large branch (found outside & disinfected) for clutter.
    The tank is insulated with reflectix foil insulation and I put cardboard between that and the glass so it's not too bright.
    I'm including a few pictures just in case, but does this seem okay? Should I add more clutter?
    Thanks for reading! Sorry if the pictures aren't the best quality lol, I hope you can tell what's going on!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Looks pretty good to me.

Is it a juvenile corn? If so I would definitely clutter it up more. Are you using paper towel for quarantine purposes? Cause corns do like to burrow for security, especially when young.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Enclosure approval

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Looks pretty good to me.

Is it a juvenile corn? If so I would definitely clutter it up more. Are you using paper towel for quarantine purposes? Cause corns do like to burrow for security, especially when young.
    Yes it'll be a juvenile, I'll add more clutter
    And yeah, I figured it would be the easiest to keep track of bowel movements while it's still new (and mites?), I was planning on switching to aspen after quarantine. Would it be better to start with aspen instead?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Yes it'll be a juvenile, I'll add more clutter
    And yeah, I figured it would be the easiest to keep track of bowel movements while it's still new (and mites?), I was planning on switching to aspen after quarantine. Would it be better to start with aspen instead?
    There are pros and cons to both. The reasons you stated are obviously pros. But they definitely like the added security of a substrate they can burrow in. But they'll also hide under the paper towel. So it's really up to you. There's no one "right" way. If the paper towels aren't working out, switch it up. But yeah, whatever works best for you and the animal. Certainly nothing wrong with either option.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There are pros and cons to both. The reasons you stated are obviously pros. But they definitely like the added security of a substrate they can burrow in. But they'll also hide under the paper towel. So it's really up to you. There's no one "right" way. If the paper towels aren't working out, switch it up. But yeah, whatever works best for you and the animal. Certainly nothing wrong with either option.
    Okay, thank you for your insight
    I think I'll stick with the paper towels for now, but I'll pick up some aspen to have on hand just in case

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-08-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Okay, thank you for your insight
    I think I'll stick with the paper towels for now, but I'll pick up some aspen to have on hand just in case
    My pleasure! Sounds like a goid plan to me. Be sure to share some pics when your new corn arrives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-09-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My pleasure! Sounds like a goid plan to me. Be sure to share some pics when your new corn arrives.
    Oh definitely, I can hardly wait!! I'm just worried I'll want to share too much & end up spamming the forum lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditto For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Looks good, & I agree with the paper towels for substrate, but what you can do to delight your new little corn is to shred a few paper towels into strips, then
    toss them like a salad so they're all tangled, & stuff some into each hide. They feel safer with stuff to hide in, yet they can move easily thru the shreds, and
    you can still see any issues (stool, or hopefully NOT mites) on the paper towel shreds. You can also save the cardboard rolls from paper towels to put in the
    cage...they like those too. I love corn snakes... excellent & easy pets!

Whatever you do, make sure the lid fits tight & is securely clipped or fastened. You don't want to have to find a loose corn snake...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-09-2019 at 12:58 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-09-2019),Ditto (02-09-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Looks good, & I agree with the paper towels for substrate, but what you can do to delight your new little corn is to shred a few paper towels into strips, then
    toss them like a salad so they're all tangled, & stuff some into each hide. They feel safer with stuff to hide in, yet they can move easily thru the shreds, and
    you can still see any issues (stool, or hopefully NOT mites) on the paper towel shreds. You can also save the cardboard rolls from paper towels to put in the
    cage...they like those too. I love corn snakes... excellent & easy pets!
    That sounds like a really good idea with the shredded paper towels, I'll do that, thank you! And I completely forgot I was saving paper towel rolls for exactly this reason lol, thanks for the reminder haha

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

That sounds like a really good idea with the shredded paper towels, I'll do that, thank you! And I completely forgot I was saving paper towel rolls for exactly this reason lol, thanks for the reminder haha
    LOL...yeah, little corns like to crawl into the curly shreds...they're soft & have traction, I guess they feel like they're hiding in a field of weeds? You can even toss
    some on the rest of the cage floor if you want, besides putting some in the hides...it will make them feel braver about crossing those "huge open spaces".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ditto (02-09-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast