Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,541

1 members and 1,540 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hasn't eaten

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Hasn't eaten

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    Do you still offer weekly?

Sent using Tapatalk
    For a 5 year old male, I'd wait at least 2 weeks in between offerings. It certainly won't hurt and you won't be wasting prey.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    My juvenile (1 year 900g) took most of the winter off. So much so I started offering every three weeks. Last week he shed for the first time in a long time and I offered. He wasn't keen but he eventually took a rat. That was his first in nearly 4 months. Without this forum I would have freaked out.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2019),HeathBish (02-09-2019),Theflyingyogi (02-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMTHook View Post
    My juvenile (1 year 900g) took most of the winter off. So much so I started offering every three weeks. Last week he shed for the first time in a long time and I offered. He wasn't keen but he eventually took a rat. That was his first in nearly 4 months. Without this forum I would have freaked out.
    Right lol

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hasn't eaten

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    I know it's normal for BPs to fast but my 5yr old hasn't eaten in almost two months. Nothing I do is helping. He's interested, smells it, curves. But no. It's aggravating and worrying me. Long story short he hasn't eaten since the week before his vet visit. I thought maybe he was stressed from that. But 2 months now? I even skipped a week here and there, made his feed hotter or colder, and left it in there. He's frustrating me!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Mine recently did the same thing. I moved recently and I have heat but the thermostat doesn’t really work, so often it gets colder than I’d like. If you can increase the temperature and humidity of the enclosure, he may snap out of his fast like mine did. They can go without food for months so don’t freak out quite yet
    This behavior was actually one of the driving factors in my decision to get a BCI. When he’s full grown I can feed him rejected food instead of it going to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MarkL1561; 02-09-2019 at 07:03 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-09-2019)

Thanks

It's too bad my Little Luna isn't big enough cuz she would eat everyday if I let her and I know she would take it down.

Thanks for all of your replies everybody!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Are you guys doing vet visits due to the fasting just to make sure he was OK? Or to the vet for other reasons? Embarrassed to say I didn’t know taking a snake to the vet was a thing. Learning soo much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy7 View Post
    Are you guys doing vet visits due to the fasting just to make sure he was OK? Or to the vet for other reasons? Embarrassed to say I didn’t know taking a snake to the vet was a thing. Learning soo much.
    Well unfortunately for me where I live currently there isn’t a reptile vet that I’m aware of in a 100 mile radius. Luckily I’ve never had to take a snake to a vet but there’s always a chance. Make sure your husbandry is correct and hope that you don’t have issues. That’s about all you can really do.
    Just an FYI you may want to check to see if your vet can even see reptiles, the majority can’t. That is one of the biggest negatives to owning them. I remember when I was a kid my parents had to take a corn to the vet and had to drive 3 hours into the city because no local vets knew anything about snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy7 View Post
    I took him for another concern. I wouldn't for the fasting unless he starting losing a lot of weight. I didn't know either unyul I learned on here they go to the vet lol.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    One of mine just took about 4 months off. He finally ate last Sunday and again today. Keeping my fingers crossed that he is back on track .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-10-2019)

Thanks

Yesterday was 2 weeks since I last offered. I'm going to wait until Saturday to offer again. If he's not acting any differently and showing his usual signs of hunting I may skip this coming Saturday, too. I pretty much rescued him and I 2as told he's 5 but I'm not totally certain. I've been wondering if he is a lot older than that. I don't know enough to tell the difference or even if there is a way of telling the difference. His vet said he is healthy and looks great. Good heartbeat, etc. So I'll monitor and offer here and there. Hopefully he accepts sooner than later.

Thanks again for all the replies and comfort.

Sent using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast