Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,008

2 members and 3,006 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Timing of feeding after possible hibernation?

I live in a warm climate, and after a hot spell I turned off the ceramic heater because it wasn't being triggered to turn on. It kinda freaks me out as a fire hazard. Well we are having our "winter" right now. Our house is 74 degrees inside. Ambient temps in the enclosure were about 74-76 and BP had his heating pad. About 3-4 weeks ago I noticed he was less active, was not coming out at night to "play," and then he refused 2 feedings in a row and I ended up wasting the rats. He's normally a good feeder. I figured out the temps were too cold, so for the past 2 weeks I've worked on correcting that.

Warm side ambient temp is now 85 and cool side is 76. It's not ideal but it's the best I can do with the equipment I currently have. He also has his heating mat. I have noticed increased activity "playing" by crawling all over the place the past 3 nights (like he was before this all started). he's drinking, he's peeing, he's alert and he looks healthy to me. Two days ago I dangled a test rat in front of him that was being heated for a different snake and he put his head into his coils, clearly rejecting it. He has spent the last 24 hours on the cool side when not out "playing" so I'm wondering if now the hot side is too hot.

1. What signs should I look for that he's ready to eat again before offering him food again?
    2. How long can he go without eating and still be okay?
    3. Do you think the hot side is too hot now?
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 02-19-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It's likely just a winter fast. I'd offer every two weeks until he's eating again.
    But not to worry, as long as there's no significant weight loss.
    I would just chalk it up to a BP being a BP, they can go months without food with no ill effects
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 02-19-2019 at 03:57 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (02-19-2019),FollowTheSun (02-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thank you for reassurances! He's certainly a big contrast to my ratsnake, who is always hungry, even when she's full.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Timing of feeding after possible hibernation?

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Thank you for reassurances! He's certainly a big contrast to my ratsnake, who is always hungry, even when she's full.
    Yeah, colubrids are typically great eaters. My King is the same way. BPs on the other hand can be a pain in the butt sometimes with regards to eating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Yeah, colubrids are typically great eaters. My King is the same way. BPs on the other hand can be a pain in the butt sometimes with regards to eating.
    Yes they are! I hate to waste rats. It's a life that was for nothing. :-( We try to offer it to our other BP but sometimes she's not interested in it, either.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Yes they are! I hate to waste rats. It's a life that was for nothing. :-( We try to offer it to our other BP but sometimes she's not interested in it, either.
    Yeah, I have run into that as well. I hate to waste them, so I just toss them out into the yard. They are always gone the next day, so something is eating them. At least it's not a total waste.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (02-19-2019)

Thanks

Yeah, I have run into that as well. I hate to waste them, so I just toss them out into the yard. They are always gone the next day, so something is eating them. At least it's not a total waste.
    Good idea!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-19-2019)

Thanks

Get a Boa lol they’re garbage disposal lol that’s the only reason she gets fed weekly some months hahaha. Also I know the stress, one of my 6 BPs didn’t eat for 6 months and at that time I didn’t have any other snake that was big enough to feed off the refusal lol. Now there’s never a waste that’s to Anubis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

When I lived in the So. Calif. desert I had no close neighbors & coyotes were always around (outside my secure fencing for my dogs) so when I had refused rodents
    I just tossed them over the fence in the evening & they were gone by next morning. Nothing wasted, & not regular enough to make wild animals dependent, though
    I will say that coyotes are smart, and when there was a long hiatus they awakened me about 4:30 am with a rousing chorus of what I suspect translated to "We're
    hungry! C'mon lady..." I sometimes put the rodents in the freezer to keep better (in the hot summer) & it was hilarious to watch a coyote who happened to show
    up "early" while the rat was still frozen: he knew what it was but never had one so cold...he grabbed it, then tossed it in the air & repeated for a while.I suspect
    that he found it "refreshing" at least.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-21-2019)