Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

0 members and 2,827 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hasn't eaten

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Hasn't eaten

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    Yesterday was 2 weeks since I last offered. I'm going to wait until Saturday to offer again. If he's not acting any differently and showing his usual signs of hunting I may skip this coming Saturday, too. I pretty much rescued him and I 2as told he's 5 but I'm not totally certain. I've been wondering if he is a lot older than that. I don't know enough to tell the difference or even if there is a way of telling the difference. His vet said he is healthy and looks great. Good heartbeat, etc. So I'll monitor and offer here and there. Hopefully he accepts sooner than later.

Thanks again for all the replies and comfort.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Well ...

This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm continue until it's grabbed ...

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-11-2019)

Thanks

I feel your pain..it’s been 13 weeks for my girl! Everything I’ve gathered though tells me it’s normal and she still looks healthy. I don’t have a lot of expert advice, but I can offer moral support ahaha. We’ve just got to hang in there and wait!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purpleroan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-11-2019),HeathBish (02-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purpleroan View Post
    I feel your pain..it’s been 13 weeks for my girl! Everything I’ve gathered though tells me it’s normal and she still looks healthy. I don’t have a lot of expert advice, but I can offer moral support ahaha. We’ve just got to hang in there and wait!

One of my Royals went 8 months or so and has been one of my best feeders since ..

I think I saw the record 'fast' was by a Royal ... two YEARS !!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-11-2019),purpleroan (02-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Well ...

This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm continue until it's grabbed ...

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

I've read this at one point and have tried everything except the hair dryer thing. This weekend or next I'll try with the hair dryer as well.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

One of my Royals went 8 months or so and has been one of my best feeders since ..

I think I saw the record 'fast' was by a Royal ... two YEARS !!

Omg That's a long time!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    I've read this at one point and have tried everything except the hair dryer thing. This weekend or next I'll try with the hair dryer as well.

Sent using Tapatalk
    The hairdryer trick works 99% of the time IF the snake shows some interest .. even a couple of tongue licks .. if it doesn't get it first offering ..just give it another hot blast and offer it INSTANTLY whilst it's still warm and keep repeating until it's taken .
    Many only strike from within the security of their hides ..

This trick won't work if it's simply not hungry or if it shows ZERO interest..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The hairdryer trick works 99% of the time IF the snake shows some interest .. even a couple of tongue licks .. if it doesn't get it first offering ..just give it another hot blast and offer it INSTANTLY whilst it's still warm and keep repeating until it's taken .
    Many only strike from within the security of their hides ..

This trick won't work if it's simply not hungry or if it shows ZERO interest..

Love the haidryer trick! Sometimes just being warm is not enough for a snake, but the hairdryer has netted me great success.

My BP gets fussy if mouse is wet, yet will drag it through her water bowl once she has it, prompting another water bowl cleaning.

I do gun temp the mouse to ensure I am not offering anything overly hot, shoot for about body warmth.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by e_nigma View Post
    ...yet will drag it through her water bowl once she has it, prompting another water bowl cleaning...
    I thought it was only my silly snakes that did that? My Florida (yellow+) rat snakes get so excited over food that when they
    grab it from my tongs, they sometimes tumble off their branch & into their water bowl with the food. (NOT "picky eaters"!)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-11-2019 at 08:52 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (02-12-2019),HeathBish (02-11-2019)

Thanks
    My little guy (hatched in October) just got done fasting for going on five weeks. Last night was two of two normal feedings in a row. I didn't worry too much cause our guy had no personality change at all during fasting (insert shrug emoji here).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to galaxy7 For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-13-2019)

Thanks

I came on for the same reason and the replies have been helpful. My Queen is also fasting and hasn't eaten in 7 weeks. She is 9 years old and not loosing weight so I am not too concerned.
    She has zero interest in food. She won't even poke her head out of her dome when she smells the feeder. If I take the dome away, she'll walk over the feeder like it's lettuce.
    It's matting season and winter, so hopefully spring will bring back her appetite. It amazes me how these creatures can go so long without eating. Dino DNA!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to squatsnstilettos For This Useful Post:

HeathBish (02-17-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast