Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

0 members and 2,970 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    ok i know u probably don't want to hear this but u need to. i know u put alotta effort into building your BP's enclosure (https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...bitat-thoughts) but the feeding issue is probably enclosure/husbandry related. esp. when u say that she is always in her cool hide. if u are open to the idea of offering an ASF, don't do that yet. first follow this guide (https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101) and offer a (live) mouse like a hopper.

Edit: also i know its hard to resist - but u gotta be hands off your cute new little BP until eat alot more consistently.
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-06-2019 at 08:16 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2019),Godzilla78 (02-06-2019),Luvyna (02-06-2019),MissterDog (02-06-2019)

Thanks

Re: My BP is afraid of her F/T food?

I know all this has got really suck cuz all you want her to do is just eat.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

There's loads of good advice above ....

My way never fails for me ... if it's gonna eat . Some will fast , I had one who didn't eat for 9 months !

It's a real good sign that yours shows interest in the food !!

I let the mice /rats thaw in the snake room ..

I then feed in the evening , dim lighting , wait until it's well settled under a hide .

I have the viv door open then get the rat in the tongs and blast with a hairdryer for ten seconds then INSTANTLY dangle the mouse in front of the hide entrance .. they usually take it first time but if not simply give it another hot blast and hang it on front of the entrance again .. if there is so much as a tongue flick I just continue until they grab it .

If it shows ZERO interest then I leave for a week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2019),Godzilla78 (02-07-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Mouse hoppers, it's what she was feeding on before and I've found most picky babies will take a mouse hopper (f/t) over anything else. Got one - small adult mouse? nope. Mouse hopper - okay! After a short while they will usually start taking lrager prey or can be switched to rats.
    Good luck!
    For the Horde!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-21-2019),Zincubus (02-07-2019)

Thanks

Yeah if I were you I would try something smaller than you would normally feed for a girl her size like a hopper

Thanks

Update

So after another failed attempt at feeding I’ve upped the temp in her terrarium. Ambient is now at 81 and hot spot is at 92 with UTH and ceramic lamp. I’m happy to say she is now loving a hide on the hot side and has been hiding in there for a couple days now.

Also today when I was picking up a fallen plant outside her hide she actually striked at me! She’s never done that before so I think I startled her and she thought I was food. I’m excited to offer her food again, I have a good feeling she’s going to take it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadowy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    So after another failed attempt at feeding I’ve upped the temp in her terrarium. Ambient is now at 81 and hot spot is at 92 with UTH and ceramic lamp. I’m happy to say she is now loving a hide on the hot side and has been hiding in there for a couple days now.

Also today when I was picking up a fallen plant outside her hide she actually striked at me! She’s never done that before so I think I startled her and she thought I was food. I’m excited to offer her food again, I have a good feeling she’s going to take it.
    glad to hear that your temps are better. what did u try to feed her this last time? also that sounds more like a defensive strike b/c u startled her instead of a hunger strike. but i do hope she eats for u. remember there's alotta good How To's here including troubleshooting hatchling/juvenvile eaters: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ips-and-Tricks good luck and keep us posted.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-21-2019)

Thanks

How long now since she last ate?

Thanks

She ate!!

SHE FED TONIGHT! I was getting so worried, she has lost a bit of weight. I’ve come to the conclusion the problem was probably a mix of the temperature, and also not feeding in a dark enough room. I’ve always offered in dim light, but the last couple times she been in pitch black darkness (making it hard for me to even see her, or know if she takes the food when she strikes lol). She’s been striking each time, but missing then getting frustrated and giving up. She’s obviously still very much afraid of me and her not being able to see me I think contributed to her successfully eating tonight, pitch black room and I barely pulled away the blanket enough to open the door. She striked almost immediately, missed, striked again and took it! So relieved.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadowy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: She ate!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    SHE FED TONIGHT! I was getting so worried, she has lost a bit of weight. I’ve come to the conclusion the problem was probably a mix of the temperature, and also not feeding in a dark enough room. I’ve always offered in dim light, but the last couple times she been in pitch black darkness (making it hard for me to even see her, or know if she takes the food when she strikes lol). She’s been striking each time, but missing then getting frustrated and giving up. She’s obviously still very much afraid of me and her not being able to see me I think contributed to her successfully eating tonight, pitch black room and I barely pulled away the blanket enough to open the door. She striked almost immediately, missed, striked again and took it! So relieved.
    Great !

A dark room ( I hold a little torch in my mouth lol ) and a ten second blast with a hairdryer and don’t blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast