Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 811

1 members and 810 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Pueblan off food?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Anyone have a mock up of this condo idea? Love it just can't picture it lol. And going back and looking at the care sheets his temps are 10 degrees lower than they should be. As soon as I get back to work I will get a larger watt bulb to raise temps. He is sitting at 75 on the warm side and no uth. Bad mommy!
    No wonder he's not eating... LOL -I would recommend using UTH, regulated down to about 86*...these are not snakes that bask, they prefer to burrow.

I don't have pics, but just picture using a cardboard box* like a hide that covers the whole cage floor, open to the bottom. And cut a few holes so he can come up from
    "the basement". *I've made custom hides before too (waterproofed sides, tile board top)- cardboard won't last forever- & most other things that are moreless the right
    shape (like a kitty litter box) won't fit in a 20L. If you manage to do this, the "upper floor" will be closer to the light also, making it warmer. (UTH is still best for milksn.)

*you can also use a large flat piece of corrugated cardboard cut to fit tank, only 6" longer & 6" wider than the tank- then cut the corners out & fold side flaps so it's about 3" tall. Does this help? Or did I confuse you even better? hahaha
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-09-2019 at 02:23 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    I guess you've never seen those cages like some pro-breeders use: where they have a wall of built-in cabinets separated into multiple snake enclosures with glass
    front doors that open, but each enclosure also has a hole in the floor that goes into a drawer underneath? (the drawers can also be opened) Snakes like kings &
    milk snakes love that..."a 2-story".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

I have an uth but it is not plugged in because im waiting on another jumpstart.

Snowmageddin has begun so it will be tueaday before i get all his good stuff. I have firmed up the heat in the living room too.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Yeah, I heard you all are getting slammed with another snow storm... Stay safe & warm...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    This has been a great read and very helpful!

thanks for posting and thanks to boger for all the great insight and advice.

I have a male MBK who has been off feed since mid November. It had me very worried at first as he was a ferocious eater for 3 months prior.

Once tenps started to drop toward middle to end of nov he began refusing.

I think he’s 2-3 years old. I’m unsure as I purchased him in August as an adult. He’s a big boy too at 1,000g. He hasn’t really lost any weight and I pretty much stopped offering him. He has a UTH that I keep about 86 but no other heat so lately his cage is around 70 ambient but at night and cold days can drop to 67-68.

Im assuming hoping and praying that all discussed here is what applies to my guy and once the weather breaks he will snap out of it.
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    This has been a great read and very helpful!

thanks for posting and thanks to boger for all the great insight and advice.

I have a male MBK who has been off feed since mid November. It had me very worried at first as he was a ferocious eater for 3 months prior.

Once tenps started to drop toward middle to end of nov he began refusing.

I think he’s 2-3 years old. I’m unsure as I purchased him in August as an adult. He’s a big boy too at 1,000g. He hasn’t really lost any weight and I pretty much stopped offering him. He has a UTH that I keep about 86 but no other heat so lately his cage is around 70 ambient but at night and cold days can drop to 67-68.

Im assuming hoping and praying that all discussed here is what applies to my guy and once the weather breaks he will snap out of it.
    Snakes that brumate in nature take their cues from the daylight (length of days are shorter in winter) and from the drop in temperatures. They also have improved
    fertility with a winter cool-down, and brumation is how they not only survive the cold but actually thrive. When I've brumated snakes to breed in the past,
    their temperatures were only down to about 50* to mid-50's*. If you're not breeding them it's better to avoid brumation if you can, since their immune system
    virtually shuts off when they're cold, so anything they might have been carrying & fighting off (unknown to us) can make them sick. Rarely, some snakes will even
    die during brumation, or awaken sick, so brumation is not without risks.

Phillydubs, keep in mind that the warmth in your MBK's enclosure will determine his metabolism & resulting weight loss, so since he hasn't eaten in a while anyway,
    you might want to lower his UTH some to mid-70's (if you don't want to risk brumation) & let him snooze a while. Put a towel over half his cage to darken it. Then
    in a month or so gradually warm him up...don't offer food until about 2 weeks after his cage temps. have been normal. (he'll be thinking about breeding too, sorry,
    I can't help ya there, lol) MBK's are awesome, I miss the pair I used to have. Just when you wonder if a snake will ever eat again, they turn into a bottomless pit...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (02-09-2019)

Thanks
    Eeden didn't eat again. I upped the wattage on his light so he is warmer. No dice at all! Odyn won't eat either. I'm about to cry! Do I just stop until spring....seriously!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Eeden didn't eat again. I upped the wattage on his light so he is warmer. No dice at all! Odyn won't eat either. I'm about to cry! Do I just stop until spring....seriously!
    I'm not surprised. Once a snake gets the idea it's winter, you may or may not change their mind. I still suggest UTH heat...belly heat rises into cage, & puts the
    warmth where they feel it best for digestion. Overhead lights less effective, since heat rises up up & away. Up to you...to keep trying or brumate a while. I know
    it's frustrating, but he's just doing what evolution is telling him to do. You blew it, letting him get too cool, lol. But he might have gone off-feed anyway, just based
    on day length. Try not to worry too much. If you can try belly heat &/or more warmth as he has now for another week or 2, that's probably what I'd do...& if that
    doesn't change his mind, then slowly (over a week or so) cool him down & let him snooze a while. He'll probably be just fine... this is what real snakes do.

And btw, crying won't change their snakey-minds, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-11-2019 at 10:40 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (02-11-2019),Sunnieskys (02-15-2019)

Thanks
    I'm just waiting on the thermostat and uth now. And I'm going to do the condo idea too. I don't have any place to bromate him.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Thanks

I'm just waiting on the thermostat and uth now. And I'm going to do the condo idea too. I don't have any place to bromate him.
    That's good. As far as any place to brumate, if you have a closet that's on an "outer wall" of your residence, it's likely cool enough: first, floors are cooler than
    higher up, & I'd be surprised (with the weather you're having) if such a closet isn't fairly chilly. That's just if he doesn't respond & eat with additional heat...

Keep in mind (IF you do let him snooze a while) that he doesn't have to be fully cold enough for serious brumation, just on the lower end of room temps. & in dark will keep him from losing too much body weight. Remember, temperature determines a snake's metabolism...cooler = slowed down.
    Good luck...either way, don't worry...this is all normal snake stuff.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-12-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast