Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

1 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Do you think this egg will make it? (half veins, pic included)

We candled an egg and found it just has half veins, and they seem pretty weak. There are a few more small veins than is showing up in the photo, but not much more. I've searched the forum and found some anecdotes about half eggs making it, but no photos included, so I have nothing to compare it to... I'm just worried these veins aren't strong enough. Has anyone else had an egg similar to this make it?

This was the lone egg that came from a clutch of slugs, and it's been a rollercoaster so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's hard not to... The mom is 7 years old. This was her fourth year being bred BUT only her first clutch. She'd never ovulated before, but the male we have been pairing her with is a great breeder (so... many... locks...) and has fathered clutches. We tried pairing her a little earlier this season to see if it would help, and it did! She ovulated for the first time ever, and had her pre-lay shed in early January. The next day, she passed a 2 small slugs (there was no mistaking it. They were a bit smaller than the size of my smallest pinky finger joint) with a urate, so that deflated our excitement a bit... She was building well though, so hopes back up... Then a week and half later, three more slugs (this time about as big as my thumb knuckle) with another small urate. She was still coiled and huge so we kept an eye on her. She ended up laying a little early (day 26) with 9 more eggs!... But 8 were slugs. This one half-egg is the only one we have. We'd be so happy to get even one baby from her. This has been such an up and down!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'd incubate it, wait & see. Be careful you don't turn it...avoid handling...it might just make it, no way to "know". Only time will tell, I've seen eggs that
    looked just as wimpy that keep on improving. How long ago was this laid?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gemini Pythons (02-05-2019)

Thanks

Re: Do you think this egg will make it? (half veins, pic included)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd incubate it, wait & see. Be careful you don't turn it...avoid handling...it might just make it, no way to "know". Only time will tell, I've seen eggs that
    looked just as wimpy that keep on improving. How long ago was this laid?
    It was laid on Feb 1, and the photos were taken the day after it was laid (Feb 2nd). We've been incubating it and treating it as we would any other egg. A few of the replies on other similar posts said they saw more veins developing on their half eggs, but I've been avoiding candling it again just to keep temp fluctuations/out of incubator time as minimal as possible. (And honestly, a little of it is denial because I'm worried I'll see is going downhill, haha)

Thanks for the encouragement! It's good to hear that you've had eggs make it through that you weren't sure would make it!

Thanks
    When in doubt, incubate it. As long as you have your temps and humidity on point then at the very least you gave it a fair shot.
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirus Uno For This Useful Post:

Gemini Pythons (02-06-2019)

Thanks
    Oh yeah...if your photos are from the day after it was laid, that's even better, IMO. I've seen some eggs where you couldn't see anywhere near veins this
    good for 2+ weeks, & they came out fine. Don't stress, nothing you can do about it anyway, just wait & see. I'm crossing MY fingers for ya...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have incubated eggs like that in the past full term now that does not mean it will make it full term, there is never any guarantee regardless of how good the egg looks.

All you can do is wait and see and avoid checking on the egg too often or cutting early which is usually a beginner mistake that often cost them their eggs.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh yeah...if your photos are from the day after it was laid, that's even better, IMO. I've seen some eggs where you couldn't see anywhere near veins this
    good for 2+ weeks, & they came out fine. Don't stress, nothing you can do about it anyway, just wait & see. I'm crossing MY fingers for ya...
    That's great to hear! We're very much just hobby breeders (we take it very seriously, but we only breed for one or two clutches a year) and we've never had anything like this happen! I understand that it's still no guarantee it'll be okay, but i feel much less pessimistic now, thank you! I'll post an update with whatever ends up happening in the end!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have incubated eggs like that in the past full term now that does not mean it will make it full term, there is never any guarantee regardless of how good the egg looks.

All you can do is wait and see and avoid checking on the egg too often or cutting early which is usually a beginner mistake that often cost them their eggs.
    Thank you, that's still reassuring to hear, though I understand it's no guarantee! I really appreciating that you guys have all given me some hope though!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Pythons View Post
    That's great to hear! We're very much just hobby breeders (we take it very seriously, but we only breed for one or two clutches a year) and we've never had anything like this happen! I understand that it's still no guarantee it'll be okay, but i feel much less pessimistic now, thank you! I'll post an update with whatever ends up happening in the end!
    In years past I did a little "hobby breeding" too, & it's like Deborah said, a perfect looking egg can go bad too, so you just have to wait & cross your fingers.

Thanks

Talking

We just opened the incubator up and saw this little face staring back at us!! A cute little Lavender Albino
    Thanks to everyone who gave us words of encouragement in my initial post. I really appreciate it so much, especially since I felt so crestfallen at the time. Thank you all!!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemini Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-06-2019),cincy (04-09-2019),Cloudynight1017 (04-08-2019),Dianne (04-06-2019),dr del (04-06-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (04-07-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (04-06-2019),Timelugia (06-17-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast