Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,024

2 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Kenyan Sand Boa Disappeared!

Tonight, I was checking in on my ksb and I couldn’t find him! I keep him in a rack system, so to check on him, I just lift the tub up and look underneath to see his belly. Normally, I would leave him alone afterwards and not mess with him, but, when I couldn’t find his belly underneath, I checked his hides, and then dug through the bedding, only to find him not there! I use aspen bedding, and sifted through it very carefully multiple times to be sure, because some people say that they can hide easily in there.
    Another note is that he’s very young and he hasn’t eaten for me yet (hence why I like to check up on him but not touch him or mess with him).
    Also, I have absolutely no clue how he escaped! Since I last offered him food last Friday, I haven’t touched him at all. I have looked in his cage to see if he would eat the food that I left in there (he didn’t). Once, I saw him hanging out on top of the bedding. The last time I opened his enclosure was earlier today, and I wanted to change his water. I made sure to close his cage when I left the room to fill it. In addition, there’s no way he could have escaped his tub while it was closed (right?). The slit at the top is far too small for him to squeeze through, no matter how small he may be. Also, I doubt he could have climbed up to reach it in the first place! Although he could have “stood” on one of his hides, none of them are really close enough to the edge to allow that.
    I’m completely at a loss! Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m so worried about him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Good luck finding him (& in good condition). You'd be surprised at what snakes will squeeze thru to escape...I once had a hatchling king snake that escaped
    thru the tiny gap in the track of the sliding screen lid (on a glass terrarium). I found her pretty fast...hiding in a boot in my closet. The sliding screen had a
    peg that secured it, but even with the peg in place, there was just a little bit of wiggle room for that silly king snake to find her way out. From then on, I had
    to tape it so it couldn't move, until I got another cage set up; and from then on, I've made my own cage tops. Hope your little guy turns up. Don't give up!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Kenyan Sand Boa Disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Herp View Post
    Tonight, I was checking in on my ksb and I couldn’t find him! I keep him in a rack system, so to check on him, I just lift the tub up and look underneath to see his belly. Normally, I would leave him alone afterwards and not mess with him, but, when I couldn’t find his belly underneath, I checked his hides, and then dug through the bedding, only to find him not there! I use aspen bedding, and sifted through it very carefully multiple times to be sure, because some people say that they can hide easily in there.
    Another note is that he’s very young and he hasn’t eaten for me yet (hence why I like to check up on him but not touch him or mess with him).
    Also, I have absolutely no clue how he escaped! Since I last offered him food last Friday, I haven’t touched him at all. I have looked in his cage to see if he would eat the food that I left in there (he didn’t). Once, I saw him hanging out on top of the bedding. The last time I opened his enclosure was earlier today, and I wanted to change his water. I made sure to close his cage when I left the room to fill it. In addition, there’s no way he could have escaped his tub while it was closed (right?). The slit at the top is far too small for him to squeeze through, no matter how small he may be. Also, I doubt he could have climbed up to reach it in the first place! Although he could have “stood” on one of his hides, none of them are really close enough to the edge to allow that.
    I’m completely at a loss! Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m so worried about him!

If it's tiny it could still be in there somewhere... in the water bowl , wedged under the water dish or wedged in the top of a hide .... wrapped around any fake foliage or branches ...

Thanks

About 3 years ago I had a KSB escape. I found him not 2 feet from his enclosure hiding behind a bag of substrate. Check the immediate vicinity first in anything the could be a snug hiding spot

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks

KSB Escape

My daughter has a tiny KSB in a 5 gal aquarium with a sliding screen top with aspen bedding, a water dish & no other decorations. The tank is at least 4" taller than the snake is long but somehow the little magician managed to escape? Not only did he have to reach the top of the tank but then squeeze through the screen lid?
    Complete Mystery?
    We found him shortly after in a bag of bedding located on the floor below the shelf it was on.
    Maybe put a shallow dish of aspen on the floor in the area?

Thanks

Re: KSB Escape

Quote Originally Posted by ScalesFins&Feathers View Post
    My daughter has a tiny KSB in a 5 gal aquarium with a sliding screen top with aspen bedding, a water dish & no other decorations. The tank is at least 4" taller than the snake is long but somehow the little magician managed to escape? Not only did he have to reach the top of the tank but then squeeze through the screen lid?
    Complete Mystery?
    We found him shortly after in a bag of bedding located on the floor below the shelf it was on.
    Maybe put a shallow dish of aspen on the floor in the area?
    Had same thing happen many years ago with a hatchling Cal king in a glass terrarium with a sliding screen top. The peg used to lock the lid in place left just enough
    wiggle room for the lid to slide outwards by maybe 3/8", but it was enough for a tiny snake to find & wriggle thru to "freedom". I'm glad you found your KSB, and
    I found my albino king hiding in a boot in my closet, but I've been making my own SECURE cage lids ever since. I've kept many colubrids over the years...you
    really have to be careful when they start off so tiny...it's easy to underestimate their escape-skills.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-05-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks

!

This very well could have been my story today...I went and checked on the snakes this morning after I woke up, and after I finished checking the temps in Pax's cage, I turned around and saw that I didn't put the lid back on Orion's cage last night. THANK GOODNESS he was just sitting on the dresser next to his cage (he's in a 10gal since he's new and it's just sitting on top of an old dresser of mine). I'm double and triple checking locks from now on out!
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)

Thanks

It may be a bit Overkill but I've got mine secure like I've got a reticulated python in there and it's just a baby ball. Lol

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 02-05-2019 at 03:03 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Dianne (02-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    It may be a bit Overkill but I've got mine secure like I've got a reticulated python in there and it's just a baby ball. Lol

It's not over-kill...snakes are NOT fun to play "hide & seek" with. They're MUCH better than we are...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-09-2019)

Thanks

Giiiirl I don't even want to find out.
    I have four dogs in the front part of my house and it will be game over

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast