Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,287

1 members and 3,286 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: First Time Fast

Thanks

First Time Fast

Hello, I am a pretty new snake keeper.

I have one 2 year old male ball python who has not eaten for 2 months. I make weekly offers of frozen-thawed rats that are warmed with a hair dryer. He hasn't refused food since I first got him on frozen when he was 4 months old. I am wondering if he is exhibiting normal fasting behavior?

Last meal eaten : Dec 9th, 2018
    Weight on Dec 2nd, 2018 (before eating) : 1657g
    Weight on Jan 8th, 2019 (around 1 month without food) : 1731g
    Weight on Jan 25th, 2019 (peed and pooed since last weigh-in) : 1664g

When I take the rat out and begin heating it he acts interested: comes out of his hide, starts smelling the air, S-coils when I put the rat in. He is acting like when I first got him and he didn't accept frozen yet. Is this normal fasting behavior? Should I try prekilled? How much weightloss should be concerning?

His hot-spot sits at around 90-92F and his cold end is at 80-82F. His humitiy jumps depending on if the heater is on but is always between 65 - 89 %. He is in a T-8 enclosure with belly heat and a RHP.

Sorry for another "my snake isn't eating post" but I couldn't find specifics on fasting anywhere. Thank you in advance.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Sounds like winter fasting. If you really worried try feeding live. I’ve had females not eat for 8 months. Just watch the snakes weight and visually inspect the snake to make sure it’s still looking healthy.
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.