Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

4 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Pricing possible hets

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on pricing possible hets. The pairing is an OD 100% het pied x YB Fire. All of the babies will be 50% possible het pied. The reason I ask is that I see OD YB Fire from 250-600 but I've seen OD YB Fire het pied for 1800 (all on Morph Market)--a huge difference! Is there a middle ground to aim for with possible hets, particularly considering an OD YB Fire het pied snake is an absolute powerhouse for any pied project.

All of this assumes of course that I get an OD YB Fire snake, but the same applies for any of the possible combos.

Thanks in advance!
    Gabriel
    Last edited by gabrielgartner; 02-04-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Pricing possible hets

As a general rule the only possible het that adds value is something new like sunset or monsoon I'm not saying the possible het pied orange dream fires are worth nothing I'm saying a lot of people won't pay extra for a possible het pied that being said always price to snake and what you feel it's worth it's your time your energy that's going into it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Selling hets is already a difficult task, without a reputation even harder.

Poss hets are really just a gamble and generally priced identically to non het animals when it comes to common recessive mutations.

My advice don't get ahead of yourself and price your animals before they hatched, first because you do not know what you will produce and if you produce any, second, second YOUR reputation will come into play and third pricing will be different for 2019 animals.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-04-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

The problem with possible hets, is that it could be het and worth significantly more. OR... it could be not het at all, and worth significantly less. The only way to know the true value of the genetics is to breed it.

For those that are just collectors and not breeders, hets have practically no value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Selling hets is already a difficult task, without a reputation even harder.

Poss hets are really just a gamble and generally priced identically to non het animals when it comes to common recessive mutations.

My advice don't get ahead of yourself and price your animals before they hatched, first because you do not know what you will produce and if you produce any, second, second YOUR reputation will come into play and third pricing will be different for 2019 animals.

Thanks for for the advice Deborah. I'm certainly not trying to get ahead of myself or counting chickens (snakes) before they hatch, I was mostly just curious given the disparity in pricing.

cheers, gabe

Thanks
    I’m not a breeder yet, but maybe I can give you a viewpoint from an aspiring breeder.

I wouldnt pay a dime more for a poss het unless, as stated above, it’s a very new morph. There’s just too much to lose with time vested and money for housing and food. Very easy to get burned. I think most people will agree that anyone interested in het recessives will just shell out the money for guaranteed genetics.

Thanks
    Price them for what they are visually. Throw in a "by the way... They might be Het pied. Keep me back to breed with the other Het and try your luck. If it proves, cool. If it doesn't... Ask yourself how pissed you would be if you paid extra for a possibility.
    Last edited by Sirus Uno; 02-05-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)