Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,857

3 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Quick Advice Needed!

So I have an interesting situation that I would like some advice on.

Earlier today I picked up 2 new ball pythons that were given to me in containers. There is air holes and bedding in these containers. Here is where things get tricky.

I was supposed to receive my new rack today, HOWEVER, it has been delayed and will now only arrive tomorrow.

So for one single night I have to make sure these new little guys are happy- and I have a plan, but I need to know if it's a good idea or not.

Background: I don't have a temperature controlled room, I use individual heating units per terrarium/rack. I have a juvenile Ball Python in a very nice glass terrarium, she is my only Ball Python with a terrarium. It is 100% possible to fit the delivery containers inside the terrarium so they will be kept at the correct humidity and temperature throughout the night. They do not need to be quarantined as I have know both breeders for years.

Is it a good idea to put the containers inside the terrarium with my other ball python? At no point will either of the 3 snakes have direct contact, but I was wondering if this could stress all 3 of them out and do more harm than good or if it's better to do this rather than let them get cold tonight.

Thank you in advance! I would never normally pick up new snakes without the space to provide them with, but the delay was extremely unexpected and now I just want what is best for the animals.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I have to honest it could work, I’d personally have to see pictures, not mention you gave no size of any of the containers or the tank. But almost everyone on here is going to recommend a quarantine period. Just being honest, best of luck. You need to quarantine. It’s possible for one night to warm them with warm/hot water bottles, but sticking them all in the same rack in a day or two “not quarantine”. Peace, hope this helped.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 02-02-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Stealth (02-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: Quick Advice Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I have to honest it could work, I’d personally have to see pictures, not mention you gave no size of any of the containers or the tank. But almost everyone on here is going to recommend a quarantine period. Just being honest, best of luck. You need to quarantine.
    I don't have exact measurements but the containers would fit with more than enough space for the owner of the terrarium to roam around freely tonight and both snakes are good fits for the containers. They are not cramped or uncomfortable and have a make-shift hide in with them.

I know why quarantining is the best option but in my current situation is really not possible, luckily both breeders are at the top of their class in my country and both house hundreds of extremely well looked after snakes. I know it's always best to make sure but in this situation the odds are definitely in my favor.

My main concern is will they be aware of each other and stressed out by one another? Since it's only a single night and temperatures are around 26 degree Celsius here I am able to leave them out without them cooling down too much. But, if I can house them in a correct temp and humidity tonight with little to no risk then I feel it could be a better option for them.

Thanks
    Do you have an extra thermostat and some kind of heater? You could just put them in a box (while in the containers) and heat the box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Do you have an extra thermostat and some kind of heater? You could just put them in a box (while in the containers) and heat the box.
    Normally I would but tonight I am unfortunately only left with the two options above. Usually I am a lot more prepared as the animals are my top priority but this delay really came out of nowhere.

Thanks

Go to Walmart and get some cheap rubber containers to keep them in. Since it’s only temporary as long as your house is in the 70’s you should be fine as far as temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I wouldn't do it. I just wouldn't risk not following proper quarantine procedures, regardless how long I knew the breeder.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (02-02-2019),MissterDog (02-02-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I wouldn't do it. I just wouldn't risk not following proper quarantine procedures, regardless how long I knew the breeder.

That's fair, but in my current situation the only other option is to then leave the 2 new ladies out in a container with no heating pad the entire night. Is that then the better option?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Me neither...it's asking for trouble times three.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-03-2019)

Thanks
    Put them in a cooler or some kind of insulated box and use bottles of warm water to keep ambient air temp up. The more warm water you have and the less air space you have the longer it will stay warm. Re- heat as necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast