Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

2 members and 3,049 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    So much for being ready and set up at least a couple of days in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Quick Advice Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    That's fair, but in my current situation the only other option is to then leave the 2 new ladies out in a container with no heating pad the entire night. Is that then the better option?
    No, that's not an option at all.

If they cannot escape their temporary containers, then put them (in containers) into a box or suitcase big enough for both, fill some jars with hot water & put them in
    too. You'll need to change the water when it cools down...how long that takes depends on how cold your room is & how insulated you can make the box or suitcase.

Ice chests are even better! I had to use them for an ice storm that left me without power or heat back in '09...I bagged my snakes, put several in each large ice chest
    with 2 jars of hot water and they were fine -about 80*- for 8-9 hours, at which point I refilled the hot water in the jars.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Stealth (02-02-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    No, that's not an option at all.

If they cannot escape their temporary containers, then put them (in containers) into a box or suitcase big enough for both, fill some jars with hot water & put them in
    too. You'll need to change the water when it cools down...how long that takes depends on how cold your room is & how insulated you can make the box or suitcase.

Ice chests are even better! I had to use them for an ice storm that left me without power or heat back in '09...I bagged my snakes, put several in each large ice chest
    with 2 jars of hot water and they were fine -about 80*- for 8-9 hours, at which point I refilled the hot water in the jars.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give this a go and check on them as needed.

For the record for anyone judging, I was supposed to get the rack 2 weeks ago and arranged pickup today as I am moving houses throughout this week and am moving extremely far away from the breeders. The rack was delayed and I could not postpone the pick-up today, I care about my animals deeply and due to circumstances out of my control I am simply seeking advice on how to do right by them until the rack arrives tomorrow. If I could go buy a rack right now at 11 pm at night believe me I would.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Nothing like an emergency, eh? You'll be busy tomorrow but they should be fine...I've moved halfway across country with bagged snakes in ice chests too,
    & they actually travel quite well. Incidentally, that ice storm here in '09 resulted in many losing their snakes, either outright or illness afterwards. All of mine
    were fine. (my power was out for 4 days, but some were out for weeks, since trees were down & blocking access to repair power lines)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-02-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks

Okay I think I managed to somewhat save the day. It's 1am and I have work in 4 hours... but I put them in an insulated box with a hotwater bottle wrapped in some towels. I have a thermostat leading from the box to right next to my bed, with an alarm set to go off every hour so I can quickly check temps and make adjustments if needed. If this rack doesn't arrive tomorrow someone is going to need a massive shoe removed from a very specific "hide"...

Thanks for all the assistance guys!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Okay I think I managed to somewhat save the day. It's 1am and I have work in 4 hours... but I put them in an insulated box with a hotwater bottle wrapped in some towels. I have a thermostat leading from the box to right next to my bed, with an alarm set to go off every hour so I can quickly check temps and make adjustments if needed. If this rack doesn't arrive tomorrow someone is going to need a massive shoe removed from a very specific "hide"...

Thanks for all the assistance guys!
    Seems like major overkill to me. I’ve been keeping reptiles a very long time and have found that often people over complicate things. My place stays mid 70’s at night so I don’t use additional heating for my bp or sand boa and they’re perfectly healthy. I use additional heating for my BCI but ball pythons don’t require additional heat at night imo and all you’re doing is leaving them for a day right? Just put them in secure containers with a hide and relax They will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12