Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

2 members and 2,808 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Stressed Mexican Black Kingsnake

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I find it doesn't help anyone to focus on "history" whether it was right or wrong. I get why people pointed out and assumed what they did (we see a lot on here stated like that where it was exactly that case, sadly..).

I'm still a "newbie" compared to most on here (got my first snake in 2017... aaaand now I have 15 across 9 species, lol), but what you described was exactly what happened with mine, so I figured sharing what I tried and what worked/didn't work may help out some.

It seems like it is likely you'll have at least several months to a year of stink before yours gets big enough to get over it (though I don't recall if you said the weight above?), and since it seems a lot of folks here have more success waiting for a bigger size than trying to socialize it out, that's probably the best way to go.

Briefly 1x weekly when doing a thorough spot-check is probably the best way to go till you get up around 120-150g. That's what I wish I had tried from the start anyway... would've saved my nose a LOT, my girl puts gasoline to shame.

I'm hoping you keep us posted how it goes and share some pics! I originally wanted a MBK, but since I couldn't find any, I picked the next most black kingsnake species we had at our expos. The chain pattern is pretty cool regardless, so I'm happy enough, but still love seeing MBK pics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You are completely right and I’m by no means on here to argue and at this point this thread has become focused on those back and forth comments anyways lol. Maybe I didn’t give enough detail so I’ll elaborate more on my future posts but I guess I should specify what “handling” means to me since for some people that’s like 15+ minute sessions whereas to me handling is at all picking it up out of its enclosure (in my hands) and for example moving it temporarily over to a different while I clean the first.

But that’s the overall impression I’ve got and I’m happy to be patient with him cause he’s a new species to me and I’m all about learning to make the animals I keep happy! It’s a learning process and I’m happy to adjust my methods to people’s recommendations

haha why thank you I’ll try to get a pic or two uploaded sometime it just takes my phone awhile to upload! I’ll give him some more time to get used to me and then i’ll Share some pics!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-01-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123