Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

1 members and 3,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Snapping juvenile new home

what are some tricks you guys have for getting humidity up? I used to use aspen shavings, but I fear it getting in the way of eating (i forget the term).

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdc873 View Post
    what are some tricks you guys have for getting humidity up? I used to use aspen shavings, but I fear it getting in the way of eating (i forget the term).
    Move the water bowl part way on top of the UTH and it will warm the water and release humidity.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Add a 'humid hide' with damp moss or orchid bark inside it. This can also go part-way over the UTH...your snake may accept & love it as the "warm hide".
    You'll have to replenish the moisture now & then, of course, as it will slowly evaporate...that's the idea.

Aspen does nothing for the overall cage humidity...you might want to try Reptile Prime as the substrate...many here use & swear by it. And no, I'm not getting
    any kick-backs to say that, lol...it seems like a good product & I just bought a bag myself, to use in humid hides.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdc873 View Post
    There was someone on another post that recommended wetting a large towel (and wringing it out) and placing it over about 75% of the top of the enclosure (if you have a screen top). I actually did this last week since we're having quite the cold snap in Illinois, and my infrared heater zaps a lot of the moisture that my humidifier puts out. Brought my humidity up from 30% to 65% in a matter of hours. I wet the towel every 2-3 days and my humidity has been in the 50-60% range ever since.
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mandymg86 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    If you have screen tops like I do, they also make a great place to dry my sweaters that say "hand wash, dry flat". I blot them in a towel first & dry that
    over a different cage. Who says snakes aren't useful?

Thanks

hey guys - quick update here

I have definitely left her alone for a while now! Upped the humidity to good levels with moss and towel over the cage. She definitely likes hiding on the cool side now because theres more moss which she burrows under. So definitely a noodle who likes to be hidden. But she has good temps and is back and forth between the sides.

I did a few of the tricks you guys said. I kept my hands in the tank without necessarily feeding or messing with her hide for cleaning or anything.

Another time I transferred her (not with hands but with a hook) into a see through carrier. And just had her near by without me bugging her (I guess to try and show her I'm not a threat as you guys said?).

It's been a few months now and she is such a good eater. She definitely still jumps back in her hole if her head is out and we walk by the cage though. So still very jittery?

How do you proceed to the next step of trying to handle? Any tips?

Thanks
    Next step... pick her up and handle her. There's a chance you will get bit but it doesn't hurt especially from a small snake. When you reach in for her go slow and let her know you're there. Do it confidently, don't pull you hand away every time she looks at it. Even if she bites don't pull your hand away too quick, it could hurt her. Just have to get in and do it.

She will probably pull back into her hide when she sees you until she's a little bigger.

Did you get the ambient temperature and humidity up?

Thanks

yeah temps are much better now thermostat makes a huge difference in keeping things regular

Humidity is up to 40% + (varies throughout the day)

I will try and handle her soon and let you guys know whats up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12