Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,382

3 members and 1,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Feeding Technique - Help Needed

Looking for some suggestions on getting my BP back in his enclosure after he strikes from within. I've had a very finicky eater for a long time but the past four weeks he's been slamming rats every time offered. When I open the enclosure door, I like to hold the rat a little ways from him as not to scare him. He's been known to reject food if it's not presented in the 'correct way'. Anyways, as of late, he's been striking and coiling the food outside of his cage with part of his body still in the hide. Last night was no different and I tried to figure out how to get him back in the enclosure so I could shut the door and go to bed. I decided to use a snake hook to nudge him a little bit because in the past this caused him to instantly retreat back into his hide w/ the rat in his grips. After a couple of nudges, he retreated back in his enclosure while dropping the rat. Unfortunately the rat was there this this morning which was upsetting because he showed such an aggressive feeding response. I'm wondering if I should just leave the room next time and let him hang out of the enclosure for several minutes before I check back? How do others handle this situation?

On another note, I accidentally dropped my f/t mouse while feeding my BOA last night. I had to make a decision on whether to try and pick it up and get tagged. Luckily, I escaped un-tagged and was able to secure it and re-offer.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All you have to do is when you snake is coiled tight around the prey's body and hanging out of the enclosure is grab him and put him back in it, I have to do that quite often with females this time of the year and it's not an issue.

As for retrieving a prey in your boas enclosure this is where a small hook to keep the animal away and a pair of snake tongs is necessary.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-30-2019),e_nigma (01-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: Feeding Technique - Help Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    All you have to do is when you snake is coiled tight around the prey's body and hanging out of the enclosure is grab him and put him back in it, I have to do that quite often with females this time of the year and it's not an issue.
    I chose to use my snake hook handle to lift him up rather then risk getting tagged and I guess this freaked him out enough to drop the prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    As for retrieving a prey in your boas enclosure this is where a small hook to keep the animal away and a pair of snake tongs is necessary.
    This is kind of what I did. I used the snake hook to boop him on the nose a little bit and make him retreat backwards while I created space to re-grab the mouse.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I chose to use my snake hook handle to lift him up rather then risk getting tagged and I guess this freaked him out enough to drop the prey

Once coiled tight there is no need to use the hook the grab him with your hand and move him back gently, it will remain coiled

This is kind of what I did. I used the snake hook to boop him on the nose a little bit and make him retreat backwards while I created space to re-grab the mouse.
    Rather than taping the nose use your hook to hold the animal back.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (01-30-2019),richardhind1972 (01-30-2019),Sonny1318 (01-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I agree with Deb. When my snakes grab their food outside of their enclosures I just use my hands and gently put them back inside.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (01-30-2019),richardhind1972 (01-30-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

I just pick my boas up once coiled too,they never seem to drop it either,they sometimes go really stiff as if your going to take it off them and coil even more

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (01-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    I just pick my boas up once coiled too,they never seem to drop it either,they sometimes go really stiff as if your going to take it off them and coil even more

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I was just worried about a quick uncoil followed up with a chomp on my hands

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Not been caught yet,they seem more bothered your trying to take the mouse/rat off them and hold onto it even tighter

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (01-30-2019)

Thanks

If you are worried when something like dropping a rodent in your boa's cage happens, a nice pair of long hemostats will probably serve you well. You can get them at reptile shows or online.
    But, agreed with everyone else. If a snake strikes and coils outside of the cage, gentle hands are the best way to put it back into the cage. They are most often more interested in coiling the prey and assuring it won't escape.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (01-30-2019),richardhind1972 (01-30-2019)