Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

2 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you don't already have one, a digital temp. gun can be a great tool to quickly and simply verify if temps "feel" okay or are indeed safe. Also, that show can be crowded and people can appear to run short on patience and awareness of others around them so you may need to create space for them to be able to see and not get trampled if they're more reserved.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Remember that it's a LOT of work for the sellers to be there: they may have traveled many miles to do so, & besides working hard to set up & keep track of
    everything, they need to not only answer questions & show their animals, but make sure nothing is stolen from them & keep everything safe from clumsy hands.

Reptile expos are a lot of fun, with lots to see & buy , but they are frightening for the animals & exhausting for the vendors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

gunkle (01-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Oops, I forgot to say create space for your kids, the "them" in my post never was defined.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Reptile show etiquette??

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    Is haggling except-able or frowned upon?
    Haggling is acceptable if you are buying a high priced snake and/or multiples and you are paying CASH. If you are buying snakes in the $50-100 range: don't try to haggle.

Haggling Tip: Count your cash out on the vendors display table and spread it out when you make your offer--Usually a crowd will 'shoulder in' to see what you are buying and the vendor will experience a great deal of pressure to successfully complete a sale. More than once I've had breeders turn my offer down only to be 'overridden' by their wives seconds/minutes later as they stare longingly at the money...
    *.* TNTC

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2019),dr del (01-31-2019),gunkle (01-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This has more to do with customer to customer manners. When I go to any shows, it is quite annoying to see groups of other people just standing, chatting away and blocking what usually is an already crowded, narrow corridor or walkway. These shows can take place in a large conference room to am auditorium but most repticons are held in smaller space than an auditorium where space can be limited as you try to pass through the crowd. If you made your purchase or you are not buying, please move to the side so others can pass through. This is especially welcomed by those in wheelchairs or strollers who are trying to enjoy the show as well.

My last suggestion is keep your goal in mind. Remember what you came for and try to stick to it. It can be tempting to pick up a different animal and/or more animals than you had prepared for. Impulse buying is rampant at these shows and it is quite tempting to rush and get something because someone else did as well. I had done it a few things, walking in to get a corn (original first choice) but end up with a Children python.

At the same time, if you do change your mind, it is not a bad thing as long as you do your research and know your commitment to the animal, and know your limits.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Reptile show etiquette??

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Haggling is acceptable if you are buying a high priced snake and/or multiples and you are paying CASH. If you are buying snakes in the $50-100 range: don't try to haggle.

Haggling Tip: Count your cash out on the vendors display table and spread it out when you make your offer--Usually a crowd will 'shoulder in' to see what you are buying and the vendor will experience a great deal of pressure to successfully complete a sale. More than once I've had breeders turn my offer down only to be 'overridden' by their wives seconds/minutes later as they stare longingly at the money...
    Oh you're GOOD! Dang!

Thanks
    Thanks everyone some great tips here. The whole family is looking forward to the Expo. Now I need to get cracking on those enclosures. The wife wants to make a weekend of it and find a room somewhere the night before as a mini vacation with the kids.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12