Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

2 members and 2,821 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Identifying Arroyo gene in this combo?

Hey all, I have an awesome male I picked up from Powerline Reptiles a couple months back. He's a Superfly Leopard Poss Arroyo (50% het TSK Ax). Hes really a stunner, awesome busy patterning and faded colors on this little guy. I'm fairly fresh to morphs and when there's stuff in multi gene combos like this that's hard to identify I'm pretty much completely lost. Wondering if anyone here has any tips for IDing Arroyo in this combo, or even if you can help me out with educated guesses. Heres a picture of him, as well as him with the rest of his clutch, top, second from the left:

Luckily they hit two superfly leos, so I have something to compare to. Just seems like there's something more in this dude than the other one, fingers crossed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heartley For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-29-2019),e_nigma (01-30-2019)

Thanks
    So I just hopped on MorphMarket to try and look at some arroyo stuff to help you out, as well as on WOBP. Funnily enough his old ad on MM for your little guy is still up, with him listed as on hold, apparently MM ads are slow to update. Lol

Anyway, since arroyo is normally more of a darker morph, like mahogany or chocolate, I'd expect it to darken the animal up instead of lighten it. But it also adds more distortion in the pattern, so since his pattern is busier it could be because of the arroyo. For reference, the only one it the clutch that I'm almost positive contains arroyo is the darkest hatchling in the center bottom, and the one to it's left may be a pastel arroyo, but mixing arroyo and leopard really makes ID difficult.

My best guess would be that his brother is either firefly leopard and he's the only superfly leopard, (which may not likely/possible due to the pairing) or that his brother is the one with the arroyo gene.

But the only way to know for sure is breeding him out. I'd breed him to a normal female, since he's superfly you'll minimum get a pastel arroyo. Then, if you wanted to, breed the pastel arroyo back to a normal to isolate the arroyo gene.

If you didn't get him for breeding purposes then I wouldn't worry too much about it, he's absolutely stunning and that's all that matters.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Heartley (01-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: Identifying Arroyo gene in this combo?

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    My best guess would be that his brother is either firefly leopard and he's the only superfly leopard, (which may not likely/possible due to the pairing) or that his brother is the one with the arroyo gene.
    Thank you for the reply! In other pics you can tell from blushing and such they're both superfly, pairing was leopard firefly het axanthic x arroyo firefly though. I'm gonna be breeding him, hoping he's got arroyo still but hes still an awesome pickup even if that doesnt prove out.

I was thinking the almost complete dorsal stripe with a few little arroyo-ish spots in it was maybe a marker? Crazy hard to tell though cause leopard can do those things too in certain combos. Thinking of grabbing a bumblebee female for him too, I'd love some leopard bee stuff, but I'll definitely grab a normal too, thanks sm for the advice.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Arroyo adds rusty blushing color, and adds a bold stripe down the back it also distorts/reduces the pattern. I also have an arroyo combo male I got from Powerline Reptiles, great guy, and I can see the arroyo influence in my male pretty well since she's only a 2 genes (mojave arroyo)
    it seems yours has arroyo, but its still hard to see it when there is more than 2 genes.
    Here's my boy:

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alexiel03; 01-30-2019 at 12:39 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-31-2019),Heartley (01-30-2019)

Thanks

Thanks, gorgeous male by the way! The dorsal stripe was mainly what had me hoping hahah. Definitely one of the trickier morphs to spot in combos, particularly with something like leopard mixed in. Thank you again for helping!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heartley View Post
    Thanks, gorgeous male by the way! The dorsal stripe was mainly what had me hoping hahah. Definitely one of the trickier morphs to spot in combos, particularly with something like leopard mixed in. Thank you again for helping!
    You're welcome, its definitely harder to ID since its kind of a subtle morph.
    The trick is to learn what each morph does, then its easier to see them in combos. Also breeding to prove it out is one of the best ways to know if certain are there for sure

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

Heartley (01-30-2019)