Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

2 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: How common is BP neglect? Do they still thrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekerk View Post
    Look up afroherper on YouTube he picked up a extremely neglected bp one of worst things I have ever seen, stuck shed sores bites mouth rot underweight ri.

Can they thrive when neglected I would say no, but they can survive.

https://youtu.be/h1xpb24N4G4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That video seriously made me tear up. so happy she’s with someone who will take care of her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    I was doing cage maintainence the other day and my boyfriend commented on how spoiled my BP is, and how overkill and OCD I am with the husbandries. I just replied I was doing what I had to in order to keep her healthy.
    He then informed me he used to live with a guy who had a BP, all the guy had was a heat lamp on one side. Didn’t monitor temps/humidity, didn’t mist. Just left him with a heat lamp, water bowl, and a hide. He told me the BP was an adult and looked healthy (besides escaping the cage often and scaring him on multiple occasions lol)
    I’m just wondering how often people don’t closely monitor their snakes habitat and how well they thrive. I was under the impression most BP owners knew the husbandry is incredibly important in the snakes overall health.

I'm not sure of the frequency but when I got my 5 yr old normal and she was being kept in the same conditions. They had one of those red heat lamps running 24/7 and was just sitting on top of the open screen. No misting, thermometer, hydrometer, thermostat, UTH, or anything. The water dish was completely dry and there were shed pieces and #2 logs everywhere. There was so much feces I was thinking that maybe what I read was wrong and it was a daily thing. She did seem well fed but the shed situation was a mess. Eye caps were stuck along with all down her backside. I thought it was just a run of the mill bad shed but after having her for a week or two she went in to shed again which didn't go too smoothly. I had to soak her and work what I could loose with a towel. Thankfully the eye caps came off that time also. Overall she is doing pretty dang good these days though. She's actually in shed right now. She's almost got it all off except one cap and a bit behind her head. Not as good as the last few sheds, but the husbandry is spot on so I'm confident it will work itself out. She's been a great pet though. Seems to be more on the active side and is as friendly as they come. She's also never missed a meal, even when she's in blue so that's been nice. Just a fat kid in a snakes body I guess.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2019),e_nigma (01-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    From what I've seen most people don't take care of BPs very well. Usually there's only one heat source (uth or heat lamp) that's not on a thermostat. No way to check temp or the humidity. Nothing covering the screen lid so ambient temp is too low and it's dry. Plus they usually feed too small or not often enough.

Just go on craigslist and check out some of the snakes for sale and you will see. I've now bought two off craigslist and both were tiny for their age and cages were dirty and not set up properly.
    My boyfriend is looking to buy a snake from a woman who has been underfeeding her 1 year old BP. She doesn't know his weight (and she's had him for a YEAR!) and has been feeding him rat pups pretty much the whole time. He's getting fed, which I guess is better than the alternative, but after seeing pictures and guesstimating on his weight...he's not getting fed the right size prey.
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP - Orion (2018)
    0.1 Coral Glow BP - Pax (2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123