Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

1 members and 2,833 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    And I’m sorry if I read into that wrong but the mods seem to always feel so superior to the rest of the forum that it drives people to Facebook. And I don’t have a Facebook and don’t plan on it. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I Wish I Could Reply to a Closed Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    Its statements like this from forum mods that have killed fourms, I don’t know u but that kind of statement just come across as u think ur better than other people here.

A simple we closed it because it was getting disrespectful or against forum rules. Or the op requested it. That would be a statement that had zero prejudice in it.

If a person states that they just wanted to chime in with info etc on a closed thread doesn’t mean they are going to abuse the forum rules.
    There is zero prejudice in my statement. It is not at all about feelings of superiority, or feelings at all for that matter. It is the most straightforward and simple way to explain why a person cannot respond to a thread that is closed. Nothing more.

Why can't you respond to a closed thread? Because it is closed. Pretty simple stuff.
    - Emily

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-19-2019),dr del (01-29-2019),e_nigma (01-29-2019),jmcrook (01-29-2019),MissterDog (01-29-2019),PitOnTheProwl (01-29-2019),Sonny1318 (02-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

And I’m sorry if I read into that wrong but the mods seem to always feel so superior to the rest of the forum that it drives people to Facebook. And I don’t have a Facebook and don’t plan on it. Lol
    Danger,
    If the remarks of the Mod drive you to FB, then that will be your choice. In my opinion, you seem to take issue with authority. Just as a teacher in class, or a boss at work, or a police officer is in charge, there is usually a hierarchy to any social structure and in it, a person or persons at the top. They have the final say. You don't have to like what they say or even agree with it, but you do have to acknowledge, respect, and conform to it. It is how society functions properly. This is an "at-will" forum and not a democracy. There are rules which are posted and available to you from the onset. It is up to you to know them and abide by them. Non-compliance is not without consequence. Power can be, and is often abused. However, I have been on this forum for close to a decade and I have not seen an abuse of power here. I myself have been reprimanded in the past for infractions, and after stepping back, I realized I was responsible for the issue. The statements the Mods have made here are not killing the forum but are rather preserving the integrity of it. I think if you go out and look for another forum or FB group, you will have a significant challenge finding one that rivals the quality and community of this forum.

The other thing you may want to consider is why their words make you feel they are acting superior? More times than not, what we perceive in written word comes from a place of what we feel about our world around us, since there is no tone of voice or inflection. You may at the time of reading the response, been already dealing with something that had you feeling less than confident, or powerless. Just for the sake of an exercise, come back in a day or two and reread what was written here and see if it still feels the same. If your day or attitude is in a better place, you may find the words are received differently.

I'll finish by saying that I am not suggesting you or anyone else her should be a "Yes" person or never question the status quo. Questioning anything is how we learn and grow. But the question should open up dialogue, not impugn the person being questioned. Just my thoughts.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-19-2019),Dianne (01-29-2019),dr del (01-29-2019),mlededee (01-29-2019),PitOnTheProwl (01-29-2019),Sonny1318 (02-19-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (01-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    There is zero prejudice in my statement. It is not at all about feelings of superiority, or feelings at all for that matter. It is the most straightforward and simple way to explain why a person cannot respond to a thread that is closed. Nothing more.

Why can't you respond to a closed thread? Because it is closed. Pretty simple stuff.
    Like my second post said, I could be wrong and it looks like I was. And for that I apologize. The fact that u didn’t delete my post and responded in a more than civilized way proved me wrong. And I’m glad to be wrong in this situation.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-29-2019),e_nigma (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    ok sometimes i'm browsing the forum and i happen upon something that i find interesting. i get to reading, i'm thinking and forming thoughts in my head and i scroll down to hit the reply button, but the thread is closed/locked! ahh oh no! i really wished i coulda chimed in. i really wish i could reply to some of these closed threads. why can't i? :/

Edit: please don't close/lock this thread.

As the other staff members have said we generally don't close the threads without a reason - though sometimes it can be a bit obscure like the info posted has been improved upon/ learned from in the subsequent time.

Its statements like this from forum mods that have killed fourms, I don’t know u but that kind of statement just come across as u think ur better than other people here.

A simple we closed it because it was getting disrespectful or against forum rules. Or the op requested it. That would be a statement that had zero prejudice in it.

If a person states that they just wanted to chime in with info etc on a closed thread doesn’t mean they are going to abuse the forum rules.
    We are, honestly, approachable guys - we all started off as regular members of the forum. We still are regularly posting members of the forum - if you think what you want to add has relevance or moves the discussion forwards then you can always just Pm us and ask.

We might be party to some info that makes us wish to keep the discussion in the past but everyone is free to ask us anything and we will answer if we can.

Like my second post said, I could be wrong and it looks like I was. And for that I apologize. The fact that u didn’t delete my post and responded in a more than civilized way proved me wrong. And I’m glad to be wrong in this situation.
    Thanks for this post. We are definitely not trying to foster a "them and us" atmosphere here.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (02-19-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-19-2019)

Thanks

Honestly, the lack of real aggression in these forums, the lack of dogpiling and just crass behavior has made this forum very fun to be apart of. I have probably not been active in a forum in... well.. early 2000s maybe? So many have so much vitriol and ganging up on someone for making a mistake and offering no help, merely criticism. I was genuinely excited to have my account approved by the mods here and no longer be a lurker, but a participant. Long live BP.net.
    Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus - "Always faithful terrible lizard."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e_nigma For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2019),cletus (01-30-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I think this is probably one of the most civilized and well moderated forums I've ever been a part of. You are able to have actual conversations without them turning into pissing contests by the end of the first page. Complete opposite of some of the guitar and hockey forums I've frequented in the past.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (01-30-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (01-30-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovepig78 View Post
    tehehe

Edit: also basically i wanted to add/suggest RHP's, CHE's and/or heat lamps as heating options to Deb's BP care guide and shopping list here but the thread is locked: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ips-and-Tricks
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-19-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    tehehe

Edit: also basically i wanted to add/suggest RHP's, CHE's and/or heat lamps as heating options to Deb's BP care guide and shopping list here but the thread is locked: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ips-and-Tricks
    This was written as a care sheet style thread based on my decade of experience and what work for new owners it has never been meant has an open conversation (hence PM me for additional guidance at the end of it) this is no different than any care sheet found on this forum which are all locked.

This was my choice just like my choice was not to cover bio active setup and many other different ways out there to keep animals. (such as not using hot spot and so forth)

If you want to give advice I am sure there are plenty of OTHER threads currently open where you can help, unless of course you prefer off topic threads that really don't help anyone
    Deborah Stewart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast