Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,079

2 members and 3,077 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How long does mouth rot take to worsen?

So my hognose (2 year old female) has two orangey spots in between the scales connected to her mouth. They don’t come off with a q-tip. Honestly it’s really hard to find pictures online of mouth rot since most of what comes up are really severe, near-death cases of it. So I’m not really sure if what I’m describing is related to mouth rot at all, but I know there can be external signs of it as well.

The spots have been there since at the latest, December 18th, which is when I first noticed them, but I hadn’t taken her out for a few days prior so they might have been there longer. So I’m just wondering if I would have started seeing more worsening symptoms by now? Or is there no way to know?

I will I’ll try to get some pictures within the next few days if necessary.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This post has me a bit confused you are talking about outside the mouth?

Mouth rot symptoms are redness of the inner lining, pus and discharge, all that happens INSIDE, so my question have you examine the inside?

Do you have a picture of your snake (close up and high quality)

Inside and out please?
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-28-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Pics will sure help... I know I've seen pics of a fungal infection on a snake's belly that were "orange" in color...just another idea, as it sounds to me like you're
    talking "outside" the snake's mouth? Hope that's what it is, it's an easier treat than "mouth rot" inside the mouth.

Thanks

Re: How long does mouth rot take to worsen?

Yes, I’m referring to outside of the mouth. I have no experience with mouth rot so I was just going off of what I’ve read online that the symptoms start inside but some can spread outside. But I have no idea if that’s true or not.

I did look in her mouth a bit yesterday and it looked normal. Definitely no pus or redness at least.

Bogertophis- was the orange you saw on the snake bright orange or dull? The orange on my hognose is really dull looking, it looks pretty much brown in most lighting.

Here’s the best picture I have currently, I will get a clearer picture tomorrow so you can actually see it, this is just to show where it’s located (it’s on both sides in the same spot).

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am really not seeing anything unusual than again I am not looking at the animal itself in person.

Scales on snakes change over time some get hints of color so get discolor.

The only way you will be able to tell if your snake has mouth rot is by opening it's mouth right now I am not seeing evidence of dried of discharged around the mouth or anything so only by examining the inside will you be able to tell.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thank you for the help Deborah. I will keep an eye on her and if anything changes I can always take her to the vet. I didn’t see any pus/discharge or redness in her mouth at all. No extra saliva either.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm not seeing orange, or much of anything other than what looks like normal brownish pigmentation. Are you sure it's not a spot that's been there all along,
    only now you've just noticed it? It often helps to compare both sides on a snake...from here I cannot tell either.

(and yes, the orange was fairly bright- not 'dayglo' but obvious- in the photo of ventral scales on a snake with a fungal infection)

It might also be a little redness from pushing with her snoot? It's what hoggies do sometimes...

Thanks
    It looks more orange in sunlight, indoors it looks more brown. I know it’s new because I take tons of pictures of her and it was never in any pictures before December 18th.

I’m hoping she sheds soon (she hasn’t shed since July but has grown a ton). So if it’s still there it’s probably just a new spot of color.