Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,762

0 members and 2,762 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: My Collection is Complete: I am done acquiring reptiles

I understand being ill or just too tired to do cages....as I get ready to clean Duncan’s cage that should have been done yesterday. Prayers for a speedy recovery from your illness and more good days than bad ones.

It’s a balance that needs to be evaluated from time to time. I know I’ll add more snakes along the way. In fact, I added a pair of unplanned bps yesterday from a local guy downsizing his collection. This will change my final layout, but I have time to figure out exactly how I want to change things as they will be in quarantine tubs for the next 2-3 months. Before I went through with the purchase, I looked at how much time would two extra snakes involve (as I’m still waiting to add one more in the near future that will be shipped). I already know what the price of new setups will be, and food costs. It’s an ongoing evaluation as life changes.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I felt like re-visiting this thread today. For those that don't know, towards the end of 2019 I re-homed Toref (who turned out be a female), the Freckled Tree Monitor who never calmed down for me. I put Shayna in his tank (4X2') and put Jeff, my newest Boa/addition, in Shayna's old 6X2', which he will grow into and Shayna didn't use all of.

Then, this year, we lost Kayla, one of our three Leopard Geckos. That allowed me to put Feliz in a 6X2' from a 4X2', and move Solana from a 3X2' to a 4X2'.

I have not gotten any new animals. I now have 12 and essentially, 12 tanks (one that was split into 2 3x2's is now 1 6X2').

The link below shows the current state of the reptile area.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Complete/page6

As many of you know, I had a kidney transplant and have a myriad of health issues related to that and having kidney disease since I was 23 (I am now 40). This past week was really tough. I had a few really bad days and ended up getting food poisoning or a stomach bug the past 2 days. That's about 5 days in a row that I couldn't do much for the reptiles. Luckily, everyone seemed fine today when I did all the cage maintenance and changed everyones water (2 days late for fresh water - but no one was out - I did check that two days ago - I change at least weekly).

Weeks like the last one make me reflect on my collection and how much I love them, but my fears about getting sicker and not being able to properly care for them. What does this mean RE the current collection and getting new reptiles down the road? Nothing for the current collection right now, and probably nothing for my plan of not acquiring more, at least while the current collection is intact.

My mother came up to visit today (1 1/2 hour drive for her and my stepdad) and she helped with cage maintenance. Mostly handing me things (cleaner, paper towels, hides, etc.) and holding occupants while I cleaned their tanks. I asked her to make sure I locked everyone's cage and dotted my "I's" and crossed my T's, etc. It was really helpful. Even if I only saved a few minutes of time with her help, the company was great and it seemed less tedious. There were a few times I was very weak and had to hold onto the wall or the tanks for stability, but I got through.

I am obviously a special case/circumstance. However, I wanted to share this for two reasons.

1. I like documenting things and sharing my feelings for my own edification, but also because of the support I get here.

2. I've seen other users here, many new, ramping up their collections and quickly. I just wanted to remind everyone that these animals live a long time, rely on us, and we don't always know what life is going to bring.

I've been sick for a while and because of that I work from home and have time for the reptiles that many other people don't have. If my health continues to deteriorate, especially in a way that impacts my ability to care for the reptiles, I will re-visit things, but for now, I know I am writing following a bad week where I wasn't able to help my reptiles thrive. Yes, everyone is fine, and I assumed they would be, but I want my collection to thrive, not just survive, and when I cannot facilitate that, feel sad and powerless. Perspective is important in life and right now I am in a bad spot and I know that. There are many other days when I feel Eh, but having to feed the dogs and take care of the reptiles, etc. helps get me going and out of bed.

Anyway, I rambled here, but I wanted everyone to see me reflect on my collection, and hopefully encourage others to do the same and take stock.
    Last edited by dakski; 08-18-2020 at 09:21 PM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-18-2020),Caitlin (08-24-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-18-2020),GoingPostal (08-19-2020),jmcrook (08-18-2020),Phillydubs (08-19-2020),WrongPython (08-19-2020),XpensiveWino (08-18-2020)

Thanks
    You're a strong person to share so openly. I'm nowhere near you in CT. I did actually check to see where you listed as home. I'd come do cage maintenance with you. Perspective is almost always good, even when it's not comfortable or convenient.

I guess COVID screws up that thought process.

My point is I'd help a stranger if I could, especially if I found them to be poignant and civil. Being into reptiles is a plus.

As many have said, I hope your good days outnumber your bad ones.

There a song writer I very much like named Ray Wiley Hubbard who wrote (I might not get it exactly correct) "The days my gratitude exceeds my expectations, those are the best days."

My very best to you. Thanks again for this thread.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XpensiveWino For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-24-2020),dakski (08-18-2020),jmcrook (08-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

I hope you're back at full strength soon Brother Dave. It's great that you have help when you need it. I had to depend heavily on my family when I had surgery 2 years ago. It was a humbling and enlightening experience. None of us can do it all by ourselves. I'm glad the critters are all doing well too. That's another benefit of keeping snakes, you can be down or away for a few days and they'll be ok. Get better bro! 🙏🏾❤
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2020),XpensiveWino (08-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

My Collection is Complete: I am done acquiring reptiles

I saw no rambling. I did see a thoughtful and well considered post about knowing how to be humble and self aware as a keeper though.

I always appreciate your transparency about the reality of keeping a decent number of animals. What constitutes a lot or too much? That all depends on one’s circumstances. As you said, with your medical history and what level of care you wish to provide to your animals, 12 is your number. And I see plenty of evidence in your posts that supports your awareness and ability to do so.

I personally would love to have a room floor to ceiling with 15-20 snakes but that is just not in the cards. I’m a full time college professor and artist and spend an enormous amount of time on my career and studio practice. I currently have 6 snakes and it’s the most animals that have ever been in my care at once.

There are times like when I decide to deep clean every enclosure in one night that I wonder if it’s too many, but I’m well within my means and know I can spread cleaning out over multiple days. Sometimes I just get in the zone and go for it. But most often checking on everyone, changing water bowls, and spot cleaning takes just a few minutes a day. And that’s what I’m comfortable with providing for while still maintaining free time for myself.

I agree that many keepers would benefit from a quiet bit of time to reflect on what their motivations are for acquiring and keeping a massive number of animals. If you can provide for them well, enjoy doing it, and the animals are thriving, great!

What I’ve never understood though is the whole, “I just learned that there are snakes in all sorts of colors and I’ve never considered keeping reptiles as pets before but I think I’ll get 15 of them.” Get one or two, keep them for some time and get used to it and GROW into keeping rather than just GO into keeping.

Feel better soon, bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 08-18-2020 at 10:00 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-24-2020),dakski (08-18-2020),GoingPostal (08-19-2020),Phillydubs (08-19-2020)

Thanks
    The challenge is what it’s all about. Don’t go with the flow. Flow with the go! Just keep going brother. As a medic I’ve seen people live for way longer than these doctors talk about! Besides I need you to stick around for my snakes😉

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    It's definitely good to be able to determine where your line is and stick to it! And you have a level of self-awareness and care for your animals many can learn from, it has already served as a reminder for me to focus.

I hope you've hit a productive/comfortable spot in your health again, so you can get back to what you enjoy. Sounds like the animals are in good hands, even if you can't give them all the attention you'd like every day. Luckily, snakes are pretty flexible on that. I don't have experiences with lizards, but I imagine they're similar, if a little more upkeep.

I don't have the physical limitations you have, but I have had to come to terms with space I currently have to work with, and how to maximize it. Between the rats and the snakes, there definitely has to be a lot of planning and changes at times with how everything is set up. Right now while I'm not working, though, I plan on using this time to strictly get cages set up, space maximized, and establish breeding plans before returning to work - probably a part time job. That way maybe it won't be so bad to keep up with my goals while working - so much of my time was taken up by work and just caring for the animals, I didn't have as much time as I'd like left over for actually setting things up. I've been tempted by quite a few animals that I simply, NEED, for my boa breeding plans, but I still need time to make some changes. A baby is one thing, but the snake I had an eye on was an adult and would require an actual viv and not a growout tub. The cost of the snake wouldn't be an issue with a payment plan, so I really had to focus on the space aspect to keep myself away. lol My snake room has changed in the 3 years I've lived here, and I've nearly got it maximized. I'm trying to do so without giving up the animals I currently have, as I've had most of them for quite some time, and without sacrificing space for the animals as much as possible.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-24-2020),dakski (08-23-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Thank you everyone for the support. I felt better for a bit, but the last week has been once of my worst in years. I was barely able to get out of bed 6 of the last 7 days and the day I did, I was up for 8 hours and it wiped me out.

Good news is the kidney is doing well per recent bloodwork. The bad news is this comes with the territory.

I wanted to add something to this thread about TYPE of reptiles.

I'd be curious to see what others think, but in my mind, some reptiles are easier to keep than others. For example, my BP, my boas, and my CP, are all pretty easy. They don't go to the bathroom daily (not even close), eat every 2 weeks +, need fresh water weekly, and I try to handle them 2X a week, but if I slip on a given week, do not have to worry about them missing it or getting aggressive. Again, not even close.

My corn snakes are second. They are similar to the above mentioned species, but go the bathroom more. Overall, pretty close.

Then comes the BTS. He eats 2X a week and I usually clean his tank 3-4X a week, but if I miss a day, he's okay.

Next is the leachie. She eats 2X a week and needs her tank cleaned weekly, but it's pretty quick.

Finally are the Leopard Geckos and the Chewie. They eat regularly, get cleaned regularly, etc.

Having said all that, I want to be clear that I went with species I know can go a few days without care if necessary. They needed to this past week and no one is worse for the wear.

However, and getting back to my point, if I had a monitor, or a tegu, let's say, that would be different. They would likely suffer from these prolonged absences.

I would say in general, lizards are more work than snakes, and certain lizards are very demanding. I will add tortoises and turtles in here as well. They need daily care (food).

My point is keep these things in mind when adding to your collection. How much work does each animal add? As far as I am concerned, a monitor = 7 snakes in terms of work feeding, cleaning, and keeping them tame, etc. That's why I don't have one.

I am hoping to get back on track here soon, but I wanted to mention a) thanks to everyone who has been supportive here, and b) number of animals is one thing, but type of animal is important as well.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (09-02-2020),GoingPostal (09-02-2020),jmcrook (09-02-2020),Toad37 (09-02-2020),WrongPython (09-02-2020)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Absolutely. My retic is definitely the hardest snake to own. If my physical health fell even the slightest I wouldn’t be able to keep her. She’s just too big and heavy, and her cage cannot be left alone after a bowel movement. One bowel movement after a meal and she ruins every square inch of bedding. I need to be capable of sitting on the floor and cleaning everything. The rest of the snakes are all quite easy, and that’s what I like about snakes. I’ve never tried to branch out to lizards of any kind because it seems they’d need more upkeep and attention to diet than I’d like. I can go multiple weeks without interacting with the snakes if need be. So long as I make sure to spot clean real quick after meals and change water at least once a week. Most of my snakes are eating on a monthly basis, but the garters. The litters also need daily cage cleanings. And for now it’s work but not impossible to keep up with, and that’s only because of how many I have atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-02-2020),jmcrook (09-02-2020)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234