Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,001

0 members and 2,001 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Congrats Dakski
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: My Collection is Complete: I am done acquiring reptiles

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I think you’ve brought up some excellent points, and something all of us as keepers need to consider. There needs to be balance between what we want, what we can responsibly care for, and the other commitments in our lives...present and future. These beautiful animals are completely dependent on us for their quality...and quantity...of life. Below is some of my soul searching as I decide just what I want to commit to and can comfortably handle.

Prior to April 2018, I had the love of my life. The 9 animals I had for the last few years was my limit due to work hours and wanting to spend more time with him. And there were times he felt like he was in third place after work and animals when I came home after a 10-11 hour day and spent 2 hours feeding and/or cleaning cages. I wasn’t willing to add anything else, no matter how much I wanted it, because it wasn’t fair to us as a couple or him as my partner to add additional commitments. Losing him last year was the hardest thing I’ve ever endured. I know he’s in a better place, and have no doubt he’ll be waiting at the pearly gates to meet me when my time comes. 💕 Until then, I’m looking to what makes me happy and fulfilled.

In the last year since he’s been gone, I have gone a bit hog wild on new additions, getting some long time wish list animals as well as some newly discovered morphs. Even after losing a couple of the original 9, I currently have 15. Number 16 is waiting for temperatures to get warm enough to ship. Every time I think the weather has improved and I can start looking to ship, we get another cold snap...supposed to be in the teens by the end of the week. To say the least, I am tired of winter.

Before adding my banana pied this past weekend, I looked at how I want my reptile room to look and the room available. I can comfortably house 16 without adding another stack of cages, keeping the current footprint the same when I revamp my cages to the Reptile Basics cages. This will reuse existing heat panels and thermostats, only adding a couple of rhp’s and thermostats to account for recent additions. The cage revamp is because it is difficult to clean the back of a 30” deep cage that is only 12” high. The new cages are easier to clean and I can easily reach every part of a 24” deep cage. I want to get set ups now that will still be manageable as I get older. Only Duncan will remain in her current 8’ cage which is tall enough I can easily clean the back by leaning into the cage. I may look to add additional animals as some of my older animals pass, but I’m in no hurry for that to happen.
    First, Dianne, I am terribly sorry for your loss. That sounds so painful. I know he's waiting too and you will be together again.

Secondly, excellent point I think many people do not get. Reptiles are more like fish than dogs. They rely on us for everything! They cannot adapt or learn to live with our schedules, etc.

Finally, thank you for sharing. I hope it helped you as much as it was meaningful to us.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-29-2019)

Thanks

I am sorry for your loss

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Dianne (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    First, Dianne, I am terribly sorry for your loss. That sounds so painful. I know he's waiting too and you will be together again.

Secondly, excellent point I think many people do not get. Reptiles are more like fish than dogs. They rely on us for everything! They cannot adapt or learn to live with our schedules, etc.

Finally, thank you for sharing. I hope it helped you as much as it was meaningful to us.
    Thanks, Dave. It hasn’t been easy, and some days are harder than others, but my faith is bigger than my sorrow. I turn to God in both the good times and the hard times.

And I totally failed to mention in my original post that I commend you for all that you do while battling health issues. I only got a small taste of that after a recent surgery...even simple stuff just wiped me out. You truly do set a great example for how to balance life, love, and our pets. I know that I always appreciate your insight, and love when you share updates on all of your crew. I think many people get so caught up with the “next” animal that they get overwhelmed, losing sight of what brought them to the hobby in the first place. Then it just becomes another chore. You sharing updates on each animal shows an appreciation of the individual....plus I just love the eye candy.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2019),dakski (01-29-2019),EL-Ziggy (01-31-2019)

Thanks

So, I haven't felt well this past week and have been busy with work and a few special dates with Katie (we went to a food festival over the weekend - an all day Saturday thing).

I had to do a total clean of all the leopard gecko tanks this today and spent some time with Toref, Yafe, Feliz, Solana, Ferry, and Figment, in addition to all the Leopard Geckos.

It's funny. Today, it actually felt like I have a lot of reptiles and tanks!

I am sure that feeling will pass.....................at least I hope so.

All kidding aside, I am glad to have stopped and be enjoying who I have now. On good days, it's no big deal, but my health is an issue. The past few days, it's felt like a lot. I don't want to overburden myself and end up neglecting my animals. That's not an option.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2019),Dianne (01-31-2019),EL-Ziggy (01-31-2019),FollowTheSun (01-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    So, I haven't felt well this past week and have been busy with work and a few special dates with Katie (we went to a food festival over the weekend - an all day Saturday thing).

I had to do a total clean of all the leopard gecko tanks this today and spent some time with Toref, Yafe, Feliz, Solana, Ferry, and Figment, in addition to all the Leopard Geckos.

It's funny. Today, it actually felt like I have a lot of reptiles and tanks!

I am sure that feeling will pass.....................at least I hope so.

All kidding aside, I am glad to have stopped and be enjoying who I have now. On good days, it's no big deal, but my health is an issue. The past few days, it's felt like a lot. I don't want to overburden myself and end up neglecting my animals. That's not an option.
    I am sorry you were not feeling well. How often do you have to do total cage clean-outs? I had an idea . . . as the mom of a 15 year old who is studying animal science ... I'm sure your local high school has an FFA club. Those kids get credit for working on projects involving animals, habitats, etc. Maybe you can invite some FFA kids to come out every so often to learn about critter care, and in exchange they help you clean the habitats, or be able to watch the snake eat or something?
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I am sorry you were not feeling well. How often do you have to do total cage clean-outs? I had an idea . . . as the mom of a 15 year old who is studying animal science ... I'm sure your local high school has an FFA club. Those kids get credit for working on projects involving animals, habitats, etc. Maybe you can invite some FFA kids to come out every so often to learn about critter care, and in exchange they help you clean the habitats, or be able to watch the snake eat or something?
    That's not a bad idea at all FollowTheSun.

I do full F-10SC cage cleanings taking everything out and cleaning (hides, tank without substrate, bowls, etc.) monthly.

I clean the whole tank when a snake goes and weekly clean Frank's tank (Blue Tongue). I use paper substrate for everyone, so it's pretty easy to clean quickly.

I clean water bowls weekly - fresh water and clean the bowl.

I clean hides if wasted on, or monthly.

However, if I have a bad day, it's not terrible for the reptiles and survive until the next day. Was not the case when I kept and bred big cichlids (fish). You miss a water change and it can be bad news. That's why I grew my reptile collection and dropped the fish.

Thank you again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (02-02-2019)

Thanks

Well, I've been sick for a month with a bad head cold and off and on fever, etc. It's finally improving. However, I am worn out. I wasn't able to use my CPAP regularly, so I am exhausted again on a level I can't explain (between not sleeping well and kidney not functioning at a high level, and being sick, etc.).

In times like these, it feels I have a lot of animals and sometimes it feels like a chore. This will pass, and I will be more diligent about maintaining tanks and handling, etc.

To be clear, when I am sick, everything gets done, but not always ASAP, especially with the smaller animals (like the leopard geckos). The Leopard Geckos all go in the same spot and are in huge tanks. I might clean after two small poops instead of 1, etc. I also haven't been handling anyone near as much as I would like. I need to spend more time with Yafe to continue to help him chill, and I miss regular time with everyone else.

Again, this will pass. However, it's times like these that it feels like a lot.

I got the 13 reptile crew, and stopped there, knowing that I will have times like these health wise and it can be tough.

It's hard to function and to get motivated when I feel this badly, but I don't let it get me down. I will feel better soon and be able to get back on track.

I write this post to be open and also so people think about their ability to take care of their animals as life changes and with challenges. I am lucky, I am able to work from home most days, and therefore, have time and energy to take care of the reptiles. If that weren't the case (not likely given my job), it would be a different story.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2019),Dianne (03-03-2019),octo_owl (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Sorry to hear you've not been well...& especially for sharing your experience as a "reality check" for those accumulating lots of animals without ever thinking
    this can happen to them too. I suspect that most of us older members know this all too well, but you never know when life may 'bite you' -even when you're
    young...plenty of things (like accidents) aren't foreseeable. You have my sincere wishes to feel better a.s.a.p.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    David, I hope you feel better soon.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli