Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

2 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

His mouth keeps opening

Hey guys!

i came home from work today and picked up ekans (my BP) and he seemed to be acting fine. But I could hear him breathing again from time to time and he kept opening his mouth. Any ideas on why he was doing this?

Thanks

Re: His mouth keeps opening

Does he have any mucus on his nostrils? What sounds does he make while breathing (raspy, wheezing, etc.)? What humidity level is it in the tank and how long has it been since it was last cleaned fully? It could be a respiratory infection.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    It sounds like he does have a respiratory infection.
    Mucous and drooling and such wouldn't be noticeable until it's already pretty severe, so it's better to catch it in the beginning symptoms like this. You'll want to bring him to an exotics vet to do a culture.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 01-27-2019 at 06:52 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2019),MissterDog (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    Yes, I believe a trip to the vet would be a great option. It does sound like a RI.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    As already said, "mouth breathing" is the initial sign of an RI (respiratory infection); better you get antibiotics going before it gets severe enough to result in
    bubbles & mucus in his mouth, as snakes cannot cough & they can choke to death, unable to breathe, with an RI. Not a nice way to die...

Thanks

Like other people have said, it does sound like a respiratory infection. "Mouth breathing" is one sign of it. A wheezing or gurgling sound when breathing is also a sign. A slight whistling sound can be attributed to a small piece of stuck shed in the nostril area, but with the noises he's making, plus the open mouth breathing, makes me think respiratory infection.

Thanks

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your replies!I was just telling my husband I think it’s connected with a RI. We do our best to keep his cage humidity at 50 but once in a while after we mist when it drops it will go to 60-65 until it drops back to 50. I also am in a search for a reptile vet so I can get him seen. Just got my wisdom teeth taken out this morning so I’ll have a lot of time to look for a vet!

Thanks

It’s been about two weeks since it was fully cleaned.
    also the noise he is making isn’t like a wheezing it’s more of a little whistle but very faint. I am going to take him out and see how he is acting and I’ll shoot an update

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RatchelMatchel View Post
    It’s been about two weeks since it was fully cleaned.
    also the noise he is making isn’t like a wheezing it’s more of a little whistle but very faint. I am going to take him out and see how he is acting and I’ll shoot an update
    Might also be that he needs a little more humidity...a consistent 60% (& 70% when in shed)? Could also be a bit of dry stuck shed in nostrils. They shed the outer lining of their nostrils, & when it's too dry, a bit can get stuck in there & cause a whistling. They don't know how to "blow their noses"!

Hope you feel better soon...I can remember the day I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out. Didn't feel a thing: I even watched with a
    mirror while my excellent & trusted dentist worked on them...they came out pretty easily, but oh, later on...ouch!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-28-2019 at 07:57 PM.