Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,459

3 members and 3,456 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Help need answers cat got to my ball python!!!

Not sure what to say that hasn't been said.

Horrible situation all around.

Please do the right thing and take the snake to a vet ASAP. I'd hate to see a dead animal on your conscious, especially since the situation could have been avoided, and your window of opportunity to do the right thing is closing.

Also, if the snake is suffering now, which it probably is, it's just not fair to the animal not to get treatment.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-27-2019),e_nigma (01-27-2019),Sonny1318 (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anns View Post
    Can a ball python survive with a dislocated jaw? His lower lip is off to the side slightly, I don't actually know if its dislocated or not. He bled a little from the mouth. He is currently balled up not wanting to move. Still alive!!! No scratches.

I am seriously distraught about all of this! The worst part was seeing the jaw, and then having to clean up blood and poop. Uuuughh.

PLZ IM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS NOT "Go see a vet."
    Okay, I’ll play. Here’s your answer, give the snake to someone who will care for it properly. Plain and simple. If it’s not already to late. This is gotta be a joke? My cat just ran around holding my snake by its head in its mouth? Sweet. But hey, let’s be Logical.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-27-2019),e_nigma (01-27-2019),Kira (01-27-2019),MissterDog (01-27-2019),redshepherd (01-27-2019),zina10 (01-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    You are probably just kidding, but honestly, why punish another animal when there is only one at fault here? That is the owner. Owner needs to take responsibility. Keep your animals safe and away from one another. A dog would have/could have also messed with that snake. So could a toddler.

Making another animal suffer or subjecting it to danger does not make up for this happening in the first place.
    Yes I was being semi sarcastic. I wouldn’t turn an animal out to roam the streets. I would certainly find another loving home for it though. I’ve had cats in the past and I do enjoy them as pets. I wouldn’t trust one around defenseless and expensive snakes, no matter how many precautions are taken. It’s not the fault of the cat for being a cat. It’s just not a risk I would take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-27-2019),e_nigma (01-27-2019),zina10 (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Guys ( and gals ),

No point in dogpiling - the info is there and the reasons explained. I'm sure the OP feels bad enough about what happened to his pet and, hopefully, will do the right thing by the animal. Animosity rarely works in getting to a good ending so lets just give them the time to see a vet and keep the snakes wellbeing as a positive focus.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-27-2019),e_nigma (01-27-2019),Kira (01-27-2019),Taying (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    Honestly I think most have overreacted a bit. From what the OP has said I feel they know a visit to the vet may be required and that's why they don't need everyone telling them that. OP just wants to know if there is anything else they can do, possibly in addition to going to the vet.

Of course I could be wrong but that's how I read things. I know I wouldn't need everyone telling me that, just like most of you wouldn't.

The short answer is YES a snake can survive a bite from a cat. It depends on how severe the bite is and what kind of damage has been done. IF you are able to very carefully check out the snake and you know that there isn't much damage then you may not need a vet trip. You're the only person here that knows what actually happened. You don't go to the hospital for every scratch or cut or bruise and your pets don't need to either.

ALL THAT SAID if you don't know if the snake was damaged much or how the cat actually treated the snake then it's best to have a vet check the snake out.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

Anns (01-27-2019),Taying (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

I don't go to the hospital for every scratch. But in all fairness IF I was drug around by a much larger animal that is using its teeth and claws and it would leave me with a minimum of my mouth hanging open and bleeding from the head. I probably would LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

DandD (01-27-2019),pretends2bnormal (01-27-2019),Sonny1318 (01-28-2019)

Thanks
    My point was, I think OP already knew a trip to the vet may be necessary.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (01-29-2019),Taying (01-27-2019),zina10 (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    This is pretty unbelievable. If they had a protective agency for pets (Pet Services), they would take your pets away since you have made it so obvious that you won't do what it takes to care for an animal. And just how in the heck was the snake left out with a cat??? I know that question will go unanswered as the OP has gone awol. It really disturbs me as I discover the level of unresponsible pet owners that are out there.

Good wishes going out to the snake. Hope it finds a new home.

Thanks

Talking Re: Help need answers cat got to my ball python!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderNoodle View Post
    I'm having about as hard of a time swallowing this as the snake will probably have.

1) You say the snake was "dragged" around, not scratched or bitten? How is it bleeding? How did the cat manage to drag it around without using it's paws or mouth? Did the snake just get a free cat rodeo ride?

2) How was the snake in a position for you cat to get a hold of it? Was it just free roaming your house? Or did you consciously make the choice to let the snake and cat be near each other?

3) Go to the freaking vet. Part of the responsibility of owning a pet is insuring it's well-being. If you do not have the means to provide this then you probably shouldn't own a pet.

And the majority of humans cannot afford healthcare.
    I guess the majority just shouldn't have been born like you and millions of others.
    Meanwhile thousands of people need animal companionship because perhaps that's all that they have?
    You and anyone else who thinks that JUST because you cannot afford a vet bill shouldn't have animals MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH!
    You should feel ashamed of yourself!

Anyway now I know who needs to be put up on my ignore list. ^_^ Thank you for replying everyone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anns View Post
    And the majority of humans cannot afford healthcare.
    I guess the majority just shouldn't have been born like you and millions of others.
    Meanwhile thousands of people need animal companionship because perhaps that's all that they have?
    You and anyone else who thinks that JUST because you cannot afford a vet bill shouldn't have animals MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH!
    You should feel ashamed of yourself!

Anyway now I know who needs to be put up on my ignore list. ^_^ Thank you for replying everyone!
    If you buy a puppy, knowing you can't afford the shots that puppies need to get in order to be healthy, should you have bought that puppy?

I know that vet visits are expensive and can take a huge toll on people's wallets, believe me I do. But the animal's health needs to be a constant consideration. No one wants their animal to go through something that makes them need to go to a vet (RI, accidents like this, etc.) and no one wants to have to shell out the large amounts of money it costs. But... needs to happen sometimes when accidents like this occur.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treeman For This Useful Post:

Kira (01-27-2019),MissterDog (01-27-2019),zina10 (01-27-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast