Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,927

2 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Pine bedding toxic for rats?

Hey so I’m not a rat breeder yet but plan to in the future for my snakes. Doing some research early and found that a lot of feeder rat breeders use pine bedding either pellets and/or shavings for their breeders. I’ve also found online that it says it’s toxic to the rats. Most pet rat breeders are very adamant about not using this bedding ever. I heard kiln dried didn’t help very much either with ridding it of the toxins. So why would all these breeders be using it if it’s toxic and could and will kill their rats? Just very confused and need some clarification for all of this.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pine bedding is fine, been using for 12 years without issue, additionally commercially sold pine beddings are kiln dried.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Pine bedding toxic for rats?

I'm not sure where you heard kiln dried does not help with the oils as that's the only kind of pine that IS okay to use.

Many people will still avoid it for pets just in case, I think and to spoil their pets, but pine is cheaper than aspen so it is more economical for breeding large numbers of rodents.

Some lines of rats or mice may be more sensistive, I think, but they seem to be less healthy animals overall from what I have read or it isn't the pine oils causing an issue, but rather a dusty brand/source of the bedding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Im interested in this topic as well. I know many people use it just fine, but I've also heard some people say the only time they've pulled their tubs out and seen dead rats is when using pine bedding, and have since switched. So sorry OP, not sure, but I'm interested to see what people who actually use it for their rats have to say.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Used pine bedding for many years breeding rats...no problems, & still using for mice...same thing, just fine. (-no cedar shavings ever though)

Thanks

I’ve used both shavings and paper pellet cat litter. As far as odor control, the shavings are terrible. I was much happier with the paper pellet cat litter. I think I paid around $12 for a 30 pound bag of it at the big pet stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-27-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I've had issues with different brands of Pine Bedding (increased mortality--about 1% of the population dies/week). If you notice your rats/mice start sneezing as soon as you clean their cages: then you might have an issue.

Tractor Supply Pine Flake (8 cu. ft/$6) seems to work fine for me: I open the bag and dump the shaving into a plastic bin the week before I use them and let them 'air out'. No issues. Saves a lot of money in the long-run vs. Aspen.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 01-27-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    I've had issues with different brands of Pine Bedding (increased mortality--about 1% of the population dies/week). If you notice your rats/mice start sneezing as soon as you clean their cages: then you might have an issue.

Tractor Supply Pine Flake (8 cu. ft/$6) seems to work fine for me: I open the bag and dump the shaving into a plastic bin the week before I use them and let them 'air out'. No issues. Saves a lot of money in the long-run vs. Aspen.

Becareful using Tractor Supply Pine Flake, depending on where they source the flake it may or may not be kiln dried. Was using it for little over a year then almost 1/2 my colony stated dying off. The ones that got bedding for the new bag I had opened. Contacted TSC about it and they informed me that the new bag may not have been kiln dried. I tried warning people in the reviews section of the product online and they kept moderating my review (refusing to put it up). If you look in the Q&A section of the large flake web page ( I'm Stephen 321) I tried getting a clear answer as to whether or not the pine flake is safe for animals and they couldn't/wouldn't answer online. Just said call customer service or a vet...like a random vet would know if their product is safe.