Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

1 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Five Lined Dumpy Family 2019

The big update...
    It's not a good one guys. Luckily no frog or lizard is harmed tonight but we learned something has happened and there is a change coming for the Skink Dynasty.

So I was feeding earthworms to my toads of another faction and I learned from my vet tonight the worms carried a parasite nematode. My toad is being treated so it will be okay I have dewormer on me. However the Skinks were offered the same worms. So now they do have some type of parasites if they didn't already. I'll be monitoring them carefully they have been doing well and I've been feeding them more so that's good at least. The Skinks and tree frog have been doing well adjusting to the new climate and enclosure. The inverts however have been passing away. Kingdoms will talk about this too but I'm thinking part of it is because my environment is a little too sub tropical for the inverts I've had and also the nematodes could be killing them. The Bumblebee Millipedes are zoned for this climate so they should thrive. So the big update is that the Skink Dynasty has been invaded by the nematodes and potentially claimed casualties. The Dumpy Family is going to be examined by the vet from poop samples and Max will be going to the next appointment. So the Dumpy Family will be taken care of first just to see how they are. They are an older group and need to be respected as being on my care first. I plan on getting the Skinks looked at but it will be a little bit. I'm working on getting other factions done first to at least have someone done.

So nothing good to report on but I'll have more on the news this weekend.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Maybe we will see Kingdoms soon!

There isn't too much to report on with the Five Lined Dumpy Family but enough for a good post.

The Skinks are doing well since being most likely infected with the nematodes in the worms. I've been feeding more to help them poop out more even though it may not help they will gain weight which they need. Florence is eating but I haven't observed him hunt yet.

The babies are growing but not yet big enough to go in but I'm not putting them in until the Skinks are treated for nematodes. The inverts are good and the Bumblebee Millipedes are growing bigger. I'm very happy to have them.

The Dumpy Family is okay. Max is going to the vet so we will see how she is doing. She's been good and alert but I think she looks like she has something on her legs that can be treated now so nothing gets fatal. Fin is happy and the male frogs are doing well. More active!

Kingdoms will still go on as Max is being treated because she is staying in her home. Nothing will break up the Five Lined Dumpy Family. They will be treated as a group. So we won't have any division.

Kingdoms and the Five Lined Dumpy Family are going to have some competition coming. As I've been saying with more animals getting healthy and reunited it will create other factions that will be pushing the Five Lined Dumpy Family to have better coverage and will hopefully create some dedicated fans to their favorite faction!

Kingdoms will come out after the 100 subscribers special which will introduce the challenger the faction that will compete all year with the Five Lined Dumpy Family. After we hear of the other faction we will see Kingdoms.

Make sure to checkout the Instagram of the Five Lined Dumpy Family! They need your help to grow their fan base! Instagram will be for exclusive content on the Five Lined Dumpy Family so be sure to follow them to see updates on them!

Checkout a picture from the Instagram page below!
    Last edited by AAronCap; 03-10-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks

A good update coming soon
    Last edited by AAronCap; 03-16-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks

The first video of Kingdoms is almost done!!

Last night I finished up putting together the footage for Kingdoms episode 1. It is a much better story then what would have been if the episode prior posted. I'm very excited for this to be released. I have to do the audio for the video still so hopefully by this Friday it can be out. It will be slightly did then what I originally thought but I found a great story and I think this is the most angles and the best quality for the clips that I have put together. It will be the first series released to my channel in 1080 and 60fps.

The episode is under 16 minutes so far and it might end up staying that way. The Skink Dynasty will be the featured enclosure this episode and the Dumpy Family will be the second episode. I don't want to ruin too much. You will see Max appear in episode 1 still but I don't want to give too much away like I said. There is death, life, and mystery in episode 1.

Max went to the vet and they said she was okay but she could be developing some infection in her legs. So I will probably when I go back to the vet for other animals get a prescription for her. It's been pretty slow right now because I haven't been recording because I've been busy but I have enough content to get to episode 3! So I'll have plenty of time to get footage.

The Bumblebee Millipedes and Canyon Isopods make an appearance and so do the baby Cope's Gray Tree Frogs. The babies are a favorite of many and so are the inverts. I take them seriously as a part of Kingdoms. It will be very exciting to see the day we can put the Canyon Isopods, Bumblebee Millipedes and Cope's Gray Tree Frogs together in the Skink Dynasty.

Fin is doing well in the Dumpy Family. He's swimming around and is still very happy. Spurgeon has let me hand feed him so he's becoming more tame and comfortable with me. Kingdoms episode 3 will be fun showing more tame animals.

I hope you are ready for the first episode of Kingdoms coming maybe this week!

Ideas for Kingdoms 3
    Pharaoh the Skink hunting a Hornworm
    Whites Tree Frogs vs Kenyan Roaches

Thanks

Kingdoms
    https://youtu.be/BUVyoAnGd-o

Thanks

Kingdoms 1 and beyond...

Kingdoms is finally out and the first episode has been doing well. It's the fastest video this year in terms of views but was not liked by as many people. There were a good bit of comments but I could always use more! Kingdoms Episode 1 features the Skink Dynasty and how Pharaoh interacts with his ecosystem. What was your takeaway from the episode?

The future of the Skink Dynasty has many faces emerging from Millipedes to Cope's Gray Tree Frogs and it will continue to be a big part of the Skink Dynasty. The invasive inverts will add more conversation during the episodes in the future.

Kingdoms 2 will feature the Dumpy Family and I'm not too interested to share the details but Max really shows up and I'm excited to feature their family.

Kingdoms 3 has begun filming and in like 15 minutes I got some of the biggest clips of the video already. I believe that one part has never been filmed on camera and I'm very excited to see what else I can get on film.

Max overlooks the Dumpy Family

Thanks

Scientific discovery?

So I was waiting to post this after the third episode of Kingdoms, but I'm too excited to wait. So the Skink Dynasty has two possible discoveries. I'll explain the more interesting one now I can wait for the other.

The Southeastern Five Lined Skink is said to only eat live insects, but I've been discovering something very interesting and uncharacteristic about them. I believe the Skinks are consuming carrots, blueberries and strawberries! There is one snail left in the Skink Dynasty and I put fruits in last night. I was anticipating the snail to eat all he could. This evening I saw blueberries taken out of the container and one was split into two and one was absolutely crushed. I'm only releasing the footage in the third episode of the berries. This was unbelievable to see the carnage done to the blueberries and I saw bite marks in the carrots.

I will be working diligently to try and record one of the Skinks to see if they are truly consuming the fruit. If I get this on video it would be undeniable evidence.

Why does this matter? Try and find information on American Five Lined Skinks eating fruit. It's not common and I haven't found any research to show they eat fruits. There is no research on the Southeastern Five Lined Skinks on this subject. This could explain more about these mysterious Skinks. We don't know much about this subspecies so this could be a real discovery!

Why it makes sense
    These Skinks can live on islands where no water is present to drink. No freshwater but they flourish. They would most likely find fruit on the islands and in their territory and the fruit especially has juice in it. Blueberries are sweet and would be very healthy for the Skinks to eat but they must eat wild berries as well. They could get an easy meal and water which makes it very desirable. These Skinks seem to be very opportunistic and I have more to back this up but I don't wish to reveal all yet. So they are very opportunistic and I would not put this past them. That would show a higher intelligence in my opinion that these Skinks possess.

This could ask the question do Anoles eat fruits and vegetables too? Do other native skinks? What about other lizards if given the opportunity?

Have you ever seen a native lizard eat fruit?

Do you consider this to be a discovery?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Do you know the species of worm that carried the nematodes?...E. foetida?
    Are the night crawlers considered safer?

Thanks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (03-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Do you know the species of worm that carried the nematodes?...E. foetida?
    Are the night crawlers considered safer?

Thanks.
    It's the red wriggler earthworms. Sold at bait shops, Walmart, Petco and PetSmart. Nightcrawlers from certain places may be okay. Josh's Frogs has them and they usually have good quality feeders. The ones to watch are the little red works, garden worms those are nicknames and common names. I'll have to search Latin name and get back to you.

Thanks

I found the Latin name

Eisenia fetida

They contained many nematodes. Luckily my toad was being dewormed but the Skinks ate the works too so I know they got some. It's a very expensive feeder when you add the vet bill to the price of the worms. There may be some places that carry healthy worms but it's not easy to find.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast