Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

4 members and 3,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,536
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: Ferret for food?

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Because these ferrets are FREE! LOL
    Are they someone's pets?? If so I would not. It's just not right.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-25-2019),JRLongton (01-25-2019),Kira (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Are they someone's pets?? If so I would not. It's just not right.
    I have to agree with this chief. Time for the OP to do another painting.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Please don't be one of those people who picked up free pets just to use them as food. I don't even know what else to say about that. Yea, it is food, but what is wrong with feeders bred for that reason? A domesticated pet raised as a pet learns to trust people and seek people's attention and companionship. To betray that trust just so you want to feed it out of curiosity...

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-25-2019),Bogertophis (01-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-25-2019),FollowTheSun (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-25-2019)

Thanks
    I thought it went without saying that Skyrivers is a decent and respectful person who could be trusted to do the right thing.

Of course he would tell the person the fate of the ferret, as would anyone on this forum.
    \m/

Thanks

I thought it went without saying that Skyrivers is a decent and respectful person who could be trusted to do the right thing.

Of course he would tell the person the fate of the ferret, as would anyone on this forum.
    Still, doing the right thing would be to NOT feed a pet to a snake. Come on, man!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-25-2019),JRLongton (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Still, doing the right thing would be to NOT feed a pet to a snake. Come on, man!
    Of course, but who said the ferret is a pet? There are lots of fools out there who breed animals either unintentionally (they have a male and female housed together and nature takes its course) or even bigger fools who think they can just up and start breeding animals.

Not looking to garner any ill will here, but personally I don't see ferrets as being any more pets than are rats, mice, chickens, or GPs. Its not like we're talking cats or dogs here, which of course are a totally different thing.
    \m/

Thanks

Of course, but who said the ferret is a pet? There are lots of fools out there who breed animals either unintentionally (they have a male and female housed together and nature takes its course) or even bigger fools who think they can just up and start breeding animals.

Not looking to garner any ill will here, but personally I don't see ferrets as being any more pets than are rats, mice, chickens, or GPs. Its not like we're talking cats or dogs here, which of course are a totally different thing.
    Now, now. Jumping to conclusions is what I do best.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (01-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Have you ever been around a pet ferret? They do bond with you and are truly pets. I had a couple of great pet rats as a kid, even taught them tricks. And my daughter has a pet chicken that actually will sit in her lap and beg for head scritchies and purr! (yes chickens purr)

If an animal is not a pet, has no bonding/trust with people, then yes it can be food.

By the way, a lot of people in other countries eat dogs and horses . . . maybe even cats ...
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ...I guess I have to question why as well. There are plenty of food sources out there. Why not just buy actual snake food?
    Besides the "variety"aspect & being "free", they probably have issues (health, age or attitudes) that make them not salable as pets...just my hunch.
    They might have just been 'breeders' in a ferret mill that weren't socialized, who knows? Or expensive health issues the owner is shirking.

I think I'd try to find out though...if they're truly good pets, I wouldn't. If not, go for it. Ferrets can be delightful (if destructive) pets, or just be "weasels".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (01-25-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Most ferrets in a typical household are purchased are desexed prior to purchase. There are many reasons for this including the fear that they escape (They are great at that), breed and wreak havoc on the local wildlife population as well as spreading disease. The chances of a backyard breeder like dogs for ferrets practically close to nil. Finding an unwanted litter of ferrets is unheard of.

Almost all ferrets offered in ads like this are personal keepers who no longer have the time or desire to care for them. They are difficult pets to keep and constantly relinquished to shelters and rescues.

Cats and dogs are domesticated for varying degrees as well as the amount of time it took. That does not mean any other pets are less valued. A golden hamster started ts domestication since its wild capture around 1930's. The bunny is theorized to have started its domesticaton because religion labeled bunny meat as fish so they can be eaten on Sundays about 300-500 years ago. I can go on but having owned all 4 of these species, their difference lie in what they are, and for the rest they do seek their owner's attention and bond with them.

I don't mind if the ferret was born and raised as a feeder as much as rats, bunnies and chickens are. But the ones we call pets were socialized and taught them that we are their shelter. There has to be a line somewhere when you feed a pet away just because.
    Last edited by Cheesenugget; 01-25-2019 at 11:43 AM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),FollowTheSun (01-25-2019),GoingPostal (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-25-2019)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast