Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,657

2 members and 2,655 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What’s next free kitten, free puppy?

While food is food and we on a daily basis feed rats and mice that other owner perceive as pet just like some BP owner see their BP as pet and some ophiophagous owners that see them as food there are lines I would personally never cross whether it’s a hamster, rat, rabbit, ferret, chicken or a snake.

First I would look at whether the owner of the animal placed on CL see that animal as a pet or as a feeder.

For example if someone place a rat as a pet on CL it would never cross my mind to get that animal and lie to them when all they wanted to do is give a second chance to a pet they could no longer keep for whatever reason (that is my moral compass dictating my actions). So why not it's just a rat? Well because 1# I don't lie, 2# While I never had to surrender an animal or put an animal for adoption I can imagine what it would be to have to do it.

Now if the same rat is considered a feeder it’s a different story.

Lines I would not cross even if they were considered feeders is feed a kitten or a puppy, again MY morals come into play here.

On the top of one’s personal morals there is also the public view and while I do not care what people think of me, I do care about representing this hobby in a positive manner.

What if you listed your retic free because you could no longer care for it and someone came and got it and you found out later own they have a restaurant and your snake was turned into a 2 course meal.

Oh and please stay on topic the hijack and useless comments from some are getting old especially when it goes on in about every thread, this forum is not having a high post count/popularity contest <------ It's green so it's an official request.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),cletus (01-26-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-25-2019),Dianne (01-25-2019),jmcrook (01-26-2019),Kira (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-25-2019),Sonny1318 (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    I wouldn’t feed that due to not knowing what’s the history of the animal is. And many more reasons that doesn’t really matter to this post.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts
    To put the shoe on the other foot, it would be like one of us offering to re-home one of our pet snakes & finding out that the "adopter" wanted cobra food.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    I really hope you don't do this!!! I have a ball python and 2 ferrets living in my household and honestly the thought of someone feeding ferrets to their snake really upsets me! Ferrets are incredibly intelligent and friendly animals that form bonds with humans. On top of that as far as animals go I think they are better compared to dogs and cats than mice and rats. They are not rodents. In America they are sold desexed, if that helps paint a picture that they are PETS. Nobody would take the time to spay and neuter feeder animals. They also have a life-span of up to 10 years, which is more than some breeds of dogs! Mice and rats rarely live over 2 years.

I also doubt a snake would even take a ferret as food? Like I said, they are not rodents. They are closely related to weasels and other animals like that. They smell nothing like a rodent, instead having a musky smell. And in the wild weasels and other animals related to the ferret like the mongoose actually hunt and kill snakes, so honestly I really don't think a snake would take it as food. Let me just say, if I put my ferrets and my ball python against each other the ferrets would quickly kill him. They are PREDATORS of snakes!

I think it would be very cruel to buy a ferret that is 99% likely to be a pet (Free ferrets? Definitely not from a breeder. And who else keeps ferrets other than pet-owners?), kill it, and then leave it for a snake that would most likely not recognize it as food. (Also I'm not sure what kind of snake you'd plan to feed it to, but ferrets might be bigger than you think they are. They vary in size but some grow to almost the size of a cat! Just Google "big ferret" and you'll see some pictures of some real chonkers! Especially right now in winter when they get some extra chub to keep them warm, lol.)

I feel like I have some valid info about ferrets since I actually own them and reptiles, so I really hope you listen to all the people who are saying that you shouldn't do this! Ferrets are such friendly and human-dependent animals. They aren't like feeder animals which are bred to not really care for humans, bred to not be at the same standard as pets, bred basically just to be food. Ferrets are bred to be pets, companions, and family just like dogs and cats.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to royalreilly For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-25-2019),Dianne (01-25-2019),MissterDog (01-25-2019),MR Snakes (01-25-2019),Sonny1318 (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Ferret for food?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    There is a person who has ferrets for free on Craigslist. Would it be ok to offer to Rainbow? I think she would eat it.
    I think the thread has answered this quite categorically but No.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-25-2019),jmcrook (01-26-2019),Reinz (01-26-2019),Sonny1318 (01-26-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by royalreilly View Post
    I really hope you don't do this!!! I have a ball python and 2 ferrets living in my household and honestly the thought of someone feeding ferrets to their snake really upsets me! Ferrets are incredibly intelligent and friendly animals that form bonds with humans. On top of that as far as animals go I think they are better compared to dogs and cats than mice and rats. They are not rodents. In America they are sold desexed, if that helps paint a picture that they are PETS. Nobody would take the time to spay and neuter feeder animals. They also have a life-span of up to 10 years, which is more than some breeds of dogs! Mice and rats rarely live over 2 years.

I also doubt a snake would even take a ferret as food? Like I said, they are not rodents. They are closely related to weasels and other animals like that. They smell nothing like a rodent, instead having a musky smell. And in the wild weasels and other animals related to the ferret like the mongoose actually hunt and kill snakes, so honestly I really don't think a snake would take it as food. Let me just say, if I put my ferrets and my ball python against each other the ferrets would quickly kill him. They are PREDATORS of snakes!

I think it would be very cruel to buy a ferret that is 99% likely to be a pet (Free ferrets? Definitely not from a breeder. And who else keeps ferrets other than pet-owners?), kill it, and then leave it for a snake that would most likely not recognize it as food. (Also I'm not sure what kind of snake you'd plan to feed it to, but ferrets might be bigger than you think they are. They vary in size but some grow to almost the size of a cat! Just Google "big ferret" and you'll see some pictures of some real chonkers! Especially right now in winter when they get some extra chub to keep them warm, lol.)

I feel like I have some valid info about ferrets since I actually own them and reptiles, so I really hope you listen to all the people who are saying that you shouldn't do this! Ferrets are such friendly and human-dependent animals. They aren't like feeder animals which are bred to not really care for humans, bred to not be at the same standard as pets, bred basically just to be food. Ferrets are bred to be pets, companions, and family just like dogs and cats.
    I have 4 ferrets as well. You made a lot of good points.

...and honestly, how freaking cute are they?!?! They're a LOT of work, but tons of fun. I turned a 4x6x6 closet into their enclosure. It's full of ramps, tunnels, a dig box, and stuff to climb and a few spots to sleep.
    They love it. Those little goofballs. They all look so funny with their winter weight and fur. Little chubbos!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2019),Dianne (01-25-2019),Reinz (01-26-2019),Sonny1318 (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I have 4 ferrets as well. You made a lot of good points.

...and honestly, how freaking cute are they?!?! They're a LOT of work, but tons of fun. I turned a 4x6x6 closet into their enclosure. It's full of ramps, tunnels, a dig box, and stuff to climb and a few spots to sleep.
    They love it. Those little goofballs. They all look so funny with their winter weight and fur. Little chubbos!
    I almost bought one, many years ago. Terribly tempting. But it wasn't the right time & place, & I was going to be moving again within a year.
    Besides, I had two chipmunks* for entertainment & chaos... (*legally, not w/c or native, & long story!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    It's not something I would ever consider.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-26-2019),Reinz (01-26-2019),Sonny1318 (01-26-2019)

Thanks

I don’t know if this was brought up or if it’s relevant (Deb please don’t smash me). Ferrets are awesome pets, I had one growing up as a kid named him Walter. He swam in the tub hid stuff in couch cushions and was generally mischevious and hilarious. So I’m on the nope train with this one.

it appears this was brought up but ohhh well
    Last edited by DandD; 01-26-2019 at 02:30 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2019),Sonny1318 (01-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I had a ferret a long time ago. They're a little stinky, okay a lot. And he was a very hyper crazy little beast. He just wanted to play. I had him for years. I forgot the kind, with a “M” tattoo on his ear or something, he was “white” one. Big multi level cage, he was a terror, but in a very good way. Just wanted to run and rough house. Yeah lotta valid points made here. I’ve seen many a picture of a reticulated python at market being sold as common as chicken. This isn’t another stay on point is it?
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 01-26-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (01-26-2019)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345