Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 905

2 members and 903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Help!

Registered User UruguayanSnakeLover's Avatar
    Thanks

Help!

Hi everyone, I´m reaching to you cause I dont know how to cool down my ball python enclosure, the heating mad is set at 32 degrees (celcius) but due to the high heat climate right now her cool spot is at 29-31 degrees, i change her water everyday but she is not eating and I think she might be overstressed.

Thanks already!

Thanks
    How big is the cage? Where do you have the heat pad? Do you have any other heaters? Are you using a thermostat? Is the cage in your house and getting that hot?

Please convert your measurements to farenheit, it will make it much easier for most of the people here to help you. The easier you make it the better chance someone will help.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Help!

Would a humid hide be any cooler given your climate?

I'm not certain that would be the cause of the non-eating however given their natural temperature range.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    If you think she might be craving some cooler temps, why not put some ice in her water bowl at one end of the cage...see if she hangs around there?
    Some snakes like to wrap their water bowl when they want to be cooler...I don't think a BP would get in, either, even if the bowl is large enough.

You might want to lower the heat mat temp. by a few degrees while your seasonal temperatures are so warm. (do BPs even need a reason to go off
    food? probably nothing to worry about...)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    .... Please convert your measurements to farenheit...
    FYI, it's super easy to google "convert 32* C to F" (about 89* F.) and 30* C is 86* F.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Some people only use ambient heat. Meaning, they heat the entire snake room to around 28/29 Celsius and then provide heat mat for the species that need a warmer hotspot or are gravid, etc.

So I don't think you are running overly hot.

Can you find some kind of clay pot to use as a hide? Like a clay flowerpot? They can make GREAT hides. They mimic what is used in the wild, to get into a dark, tight and also more humid area. If you keep the clay pot filled with a bit of moist moss or substrate and then also mist / wet the clay pot itself, it will be several degrees cooler and also more humid. And if that is what your snake craves, she will go in there.

Back when I used clay pots I would score the edge a bit and then carefully break a piece off with a hammer. Just enough so the snake has a opening to get into. You can also enlarge the opening on top of the clay pot and use that as the entrance. Make sure the hole on top is big enough for the snake to fit through, or to small for it to try and get stuck. Fill it in with something if its questionable. If you remove a piece of clay to make a side entrance, use sandpaper to smooth out the edges.

I have broken a few pots trying to make hides , but they are cheap, and usually I got a few good ones. They are great as humid/cooler/darker hides. Keep misting it and keep the moss/substrate moist.

Could there be another reason she is stressed? How old is she? How long have you had her for? Has she previously been eating/acting fine? How have you set her up, how big is the cage, does she have privacy, hides, etc etc
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    FYI, it's super easy to google "convert 32* C to F" (about 89* F.) and 30* C is 86* F.
    I know, I did and am willing to do that. Other people won't so I recommend doing it to get more replies. There's a large forum that I spent tons of time on just teaching people. One thing that I noticed was that people who don't take time to make the post easy to read (punctuation and whatever else) or didn't convert numbers to the most common type of measurement, didn't get many replies. Just trying to help out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    I know, I did and am willing to do that. Other people won't so I recommend doing it to get more replies. There's a large forum that I spent tons of time on just teaching people. One thing that I noticed was that people who don't take time to make the post easy to read (punctuation and whatever else) or didn't convert numbers to the most common type of measurement, didn't get many replies. Just trying to help out.
    That's true (making it easier) but I'm also glad that we attract members from around the globe...it keeps things interesting & it's not that hard to meet them halfway. (I figure English might not be their first language...)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-24-2019 at 07:18 PM.