Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 534

0 members and 534 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

Toref is looking good post shed and growing like a weed. Way to quick to weigh, but he's got to be 25% larger already.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2019),cletus (02-13-2019),Dianne (02-16-2019),jmcrook (02-12-2019),Kam (08-24-2019)

Thanks

Toref is still pretty shy, but boy is he eating like a pig, and growing!

Here some pictures from the past two days and a video of him eating today (including 1 where he attacked from above while hanging on his log). He's eating bigger pieces now and I don't have to cut the insects and mice up so fine. He also doesn't seem to mind the calcium and vitamin dusting I do 1X a week.

He eats mouse parts 2X a week and insects (cockroaches, crickets, and grasshopper are his favorites) 5-6X a week. His diet is varied and the insects are steamed in the can to preserve nutrients, however, they are not live. He doesn't seem to care for the live dubai and he's too small now for mealworms or superworms (plus he avoids them when in his dish from the can). With live food, I usually supplement for my other animals, but they get the benefit of me gut-loading the bugs. However, they also do not have UV lighting (Leopard Geckos and Ferry the Chewie). Toref has UV light, but he is eating dead prey items, so I supplement him as well. Calcium 1-2X a week and multi vitamin 1X a week.

Video of Toref Destroying Canned Cockroach parts: https://streamable.com/9ozs1

Last edited by dakski; 02-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2019),Dianne (02-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    He's so handsome & looking more confident too. I give him about a year & then we'll also need a video of you, counting your fingers...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-15-2019)

Thanks

David, I don’t appreciate you making me want a Toref as bad as I am right now! HE’S TOO CUTE! I love him. So jelly of you and Katie’s collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's so handsome & looking more confident too. I give him about a year & then we'll also need a video of you, counting your fingers...
    LOL! Actually not too worried on the finger part. He's pretty chill and when I go to pick him (1X a week to clean enclosure) he does spaz for a minute, but then more calm when I hold him. No letting him walk on me yet as he's way too fast. I have to restrain him and put him in a holding container. I also have to be very careful when I put him back. He's still rather small and super fast. Big and fast I can deal with, but also, he is supposed to calm down with age.

Regardless, he has made zero attempts at me at this small size. He hisses sometimes, but then calms down when I pick him. He was super squirmy in the beginning, but even that is dissipating.

Still waiting until he's a lot bigger to work on taming him down. For now, I am focusing on him seeing a lot of me and me watching him eat, etc. He's getting more comfortable with that.

He is definitely acting more confident and he sure is handsome, especially after the recent shed. His face is starting to look less baby like as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    David, I don’t appreciate you making me want a Toref as bad as I am right now! HE’S TOO CUTE! I love him. So jelly of you and Katie’s collection.

Sorry Jessibelle! He is pretty cool though. I'll have to see how he is when he's bigger and chills out some. That will be the litmus test on recommending them (Freckled Tree Monitors) as good pets as opposed to display animals. I think he will get there though.

He really is fun to watch. I should get a video of him just crawling and climbing all around his tank.

Also, it's MY Collection. ALL MINE!

LOL - JK. I do 98% of the work and 90% of the interaction. However, Katie does enjoy interacting when she feels like it. She especially loves holding Ezzy and Ferry and feeding Ferry. I am incredibly happy she shares the reptiles with me and allows me/embraces me having them, all of them, in our house.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-15-2019 at 11:37 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-16-2019),Dianne (02-16-2019),Jessibelle (02-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    LOL! Actually not too worried on the finger part. He's pretty chill and when I go to pick him (1X a week to clean enclosure) he does spaz for a minute, but then more calm when I hold him. No letting him walk on me yet as he's way too fast. I have to restrain him and put him in a holding container. I also have to be very careful when I put him back. He's still rather small and super fast. Big and fast I can deal with, but also, he is supposed to calm down with age.

Regardless, he has made zero attempts at me at this small size. He hisses sometimes, but then calms down when I pick him. He was super squirmy in the beginning, but even that is dissipating.

Still waiting until he's a lot bigger to work on taming him down. For now, I am focusing on him seeing a lot of me and me watching him eat, etc. He's getting more comfortable with that.

He is definitely acting more confident and he sure is handsome, especially after the recent shed. His face is starting to look less baby like as well.

Sorry Jessibelle! He is pretty cool though. I'll have to see how he is when he's bigger and chills out some. That will be the litmus test on recommending them (Freckled Tree Monitors) as good pets as opposed to display animals. I think he will get there though.

He really is fun to watch. I should get a video of him just crawling and climbing all around his tank.

Also, it's MY Collection. ALL MINE!

LOL - JK. I do 98% of the work and 90% of the interaction. However, Katie does enjoy interacting when she feels like it. She especially loves holding Ezzy and Ferry and feeding Ferry. I am incredibly happy she shares the reptiles with me and allows me/embraces me having them, all of them, in our house.
    Hahaha! Katie has the best of all worlds. 2% of the work, and as much of the handling as she wants, or 10% I guess. If only I could get my husband more on board...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    Hahaha! Katie has the best of all worlds. 2% of the work, and as much of the handling as she wants, or 10% I guess. If only I could get my husband more on board...

She can have as much time with the reptiles as she wants. She usually wants about 10%. It's Katie limited, not Dave limited.

Good luck working on your hubby.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Jessibelle (02-16-2019)

Thanks

Close call today.

I cannot begin to explain how fast Toref is. Think Speedy Gonzalez meets the Roadrunner and trapped in a 20"X12"X12" tank! He's insane. He's okay until I put my hand in. He still totally freaks when I do that.

Today, while trying to grab him (after taking out all the logs, etc), he managed to squirt out the tiny opening in the doors where my hand was. Jumped on the floor! He was as surprised as I was and I was able to snag him. Scared me to death. I could have lost him. I've never had an animal this fast and this frenetic and this afraid of me. Once I picked him up, he was pretty calm, or so it seemed.

I held him for a minute to show him I wouldn't hurt him. No biting, no hissing. However, the little PITA crapped in my hand. He's lucky he's cute.

Anyway, I am going to put my hand in more and just keep it there, let him see it and smell it.

There is no way he's moving to a bigger tank anytime soon.

I may even get a net to put over the door so if he runs out, he runs into that. Today was too scary.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2019),jmcrook (02-18-2019),richardhind1972 (02-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Sounds like the perfect nickname for him... "Squirt"!

Can't really blame him for decorating your hand though...can you guarantee you wouldn't do the same thing if some giant suddenly picked you up? He thought
    he was done for and that was supposed to make you release him- he can't help it you're so hard to gross out.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-17-2019),Dianne (02-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Sounds like the perfect nickname for him... "Squirt"!

Can't really blame him for decorating your hand though...can you guarantee you wouldn't do the same thing if some giant suddenly picked you up? He thought
    he was done for and that was supposed to make you release him- he can't help it you're so hard to gross out.
    Yeah, he definitely is a "Squirt."

I didn't blame him at all. I totally understand. Having said that, I was not pleased .

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast