Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 509

0 members and 509 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Bad David, bad bad! LOL.

Definitely food for thought. I’ve also looked at cresties because of Zina’s posts with her little cutie. I have to admit that Toref is too cute for words...love how active he is. Still, I need to behave myself for a while.
    I understand and was truly joking/teasing.

Not many breeders in the country; many more Ackie breeders.

If you ever are interested, I'll hook you up. Otherwise, feel free to live vicariously through me.

Cresties are adorable too and you cannot go wrong with one. I do think Zina10's Smeagol is particularly photogenic. However, you are talking about a whole other ball game when talking Crestie vs. Monitor. It's like a corn snake vs. a Boa. Not that one is better than the other, just completely different animals.

Good for you being disciplined. I greatly respect that.

Thanks

Very Cool Animal

Congratulations on your new family member!
    What a cool little guy, gotta love the personality of monitors especially the tree variety.
    Seems like you're taking all the right steps to getting the little guy socialized.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6..._as=subscriber

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ScalesFins&Feathers For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: Very Cool Animal

Quote Originally Posted by ScalesFins&Feathers View Post
    Congratulations on your new family member!
    What a cool little guy, gotta love the personality of monitors especially the tree variety.
    Seems like you're taking all the right steps to getting the little guy socialized.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6..._as=subscriber
    Thank you.

The socializing part is a challenge, but I am up for it, and I know it will be incredibly rewarding in the long run.

Thank you for the link/videos.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I understand and was truly joking/teasing.

Not many breeders in the country; many more Ackie breeders.

If you ever are interested, I'll hook you up. Otherwise, feel free to live vicariously through me.

Cresties are adorable too and you cannot go wrong with one. I do think Zina10's Smeagol is particularly photogenic. However, you are talking about a whole other ball game when talking Crestie vs. Monitor. It's like a corn snake vs. a Boa. Not that one is better than the other, just completely different animals.

Good for you being disciplined. I greatly respect that.
    I know you’re teasing..as am I...but they ARE tempting. 😁

I am trying to be disciplined. I have 15 snakes right now, with one other bp I’m looking to bring home once the temperatures stabilize for shipping. Wouldn’t you know we’re getting a warm spell next week when I’ll be out of town. 🙄 Crossing my fingers for some milder temps in February. This has been a chilly winter with quite a few days well below freezing. It was 10 when I got up and 12 when I left for work. That probably doesn’t sound all that bad for some of you up north, but my thin southern blood wants it at least 60. lol

I plan to revamp my cages in the not too distant future. Once I do that and sell the existing 8’ cages, I’ll have a better idea of what kind of space I’ll have left over, if any. I also have to consider how much daily cleaning, feeding, and interacting my work schedule will really allow. The snakes are the ideal pet in many ways because even with 15 I don’t have daily cleaning. That said I can usually count on several of them going at once with multiple cages to clean, and can count on at least 2-3 cleaning days per week.

An animal that requires daily interaction, feeding and/or cleaning won’t fit in my current schedule, there are just too many long days right now. I don’t feel it is fair to an animal to bring them into a situation where they won’t get proper timely care or where I can’t keep to a regular feeding schedule. The snakes are mostly nocturnal, so feeding late evenings isn’t an issue. Still, I know you’ll post lots of pictures, so I can “share” the experience through you. 😊
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I know you’re teasing..as am I...but they ARE tempting. 😁

I am trying to be disciplined. I have 15 snakes right now, with one other bp I’m looking to bring home once the temperatures stabilize for shipping. Wouldn’t you know we’re getting a warm spell next week when I’ll be out of town. 🙄 Crossing my fingers for some milder temps in February. This has been a chilly winter with quite a few days well below freezing. It was 10 when I got up and 12 when I left for work. That probably doesn’t sound all that bad for some of you up north, but my thin southern blood wants it at least 60. lol

I plan to revamp my cages in the not too distant future. Once I do that and sell the existing 8’ cages, I’ll have a better idea of what kind of space I’ll have left over, if any. I also have to consider how much daily cleaning, feeding, and interacting my work schedule will really allow. The snakes are the ideal pet in many ways because even with 15 I don’t have daily cleaning. That said I can usually count on several of them going at once with multiple cages to clean, and can count on at least 2-3 cleaning days per week.

An animal that requires daily interaction, feeding and/or cleaning won’t fit in my current schedule, there are just too many long days right now. I don’t feel it is fair to an animal to bring them into a situation where they won’t get proper timely care or where I can’t keep to a regular feeding schedule. The snakes are mostly nocturnal, so feeding late evenings isn’t an issue. Still, I know you’ll post lots of pictures, so I can “share” the experience through you. 😊
    Dianne,

Toref needs daily interaction now, but as an adult, will eat every other day and can interact a few times a week to keep the bond. Now it's work because I am building the bond; like having a puppy.

He does poop regularly, but I use paper substrate, and have to remove him, the logs, and the paper to clean. I am doing that every 5-7 days, not daily.

Is he more work than the snakes? Absolutely. He is and will easily be the most work of all my animals. However, he's not a burden as the interaction is rewarding. If I had to guess I would say 1 Toref = 4 to 5 snakes in work (boids and pythons). He probably equals 2 corns or other colubrids who poop all the time.

Additionally, he's loving the canned stuff.

Today I offered a wax worm, a Dubai roach, cut up cockroach and cut up silkworm. He devoured everything canned and left the live roach and the live wax worm!

What a weirdo! Either way, that bodes well for those who want a monitor, but do not want to feed live insects.

Not pushing you at all. Just clarifying.

Good luck redoing your space and keep us in the loop.

I will keep updating on Toref.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (02-01-2019)

Thanks

Gahhh I am so jealous!!!!! S/he is SO CUTE!!!! I am in love and fascinated with monitors! I hope you enjoy it and post a lot of updates for all of us!

Side note, where did you get those awesome branches and bark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-02-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    Gahhh I am so jealous!!!!! S/he is SO CUTE!!!! I am in love and fascinated with monitors! I hope you enjoy it and post a lot of updates for all of us!

Side note, where did you get those awesome branches and bark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. He's pretty cool. He will be even cooler when I win his trust and can interact with him without hysterics! He doesn't bite or anything, but boy does he squirm. Good thing he's pretty tough.

I think he's the perfect monitor (for me anyway). He will stay small, but has the personality and spunk of the bigger monitors. He also is active and climbs, etc. He found his hides the other day and has been spending a lot of time in them. However, he comes out for food and water and has an incredible sense of smell. I put fresh water in this morning (he always has water, but sometime wood pieces fall into it overnight while he's running around). Not sure if putting fresh water in made him think about it, or was just curious what I was doing, but he came over after a minute and drank. It was really cute.

As mentioned, I like these guys and Ackies (which are easier to find), but love the climbing/arboreal aspect of him.

Most of the branches/wood are cork bark. Expensive, but great. I use it for my leachie and chewie too (Ezzy and Ferry). I take it out 1X a week, F10SC it, then rinse with water, let it dry, and it's good to go the next day. I have two sets for everyone so I can rotate.

The small flat pieces are some form of treated wood. I'll have to ask my buddy how owns the local reptile shop, where I got them.

You can get flat pieces of cork bark too and use a lot of those and will as Toref gets bigger. It's much studier than what's in there now, but he's tiny now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Jessibelle (02-02-2019)

Thanks

I made a video compilation of Toref eating a ton today. He actually ate more after this! There a couple items left in the food bowl after an hour. WOW!

https://streamable.com/qdrgz

Enjoy!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-03-2019),Jessibelle (02-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Thought for sure he was going to grab the dubia...the motion caught his attention but I guess it didn't smell good enough? or should I say "bad enough"?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Thought for sure he was going to grab the dubia...the motion caught his attention but I guess it didn't smell good enough? or should I say "bad enough"?
    I think "bad enough" is correct! Those canned bugs smell awful. However, he loves them. I cannot wait until he's big enough that I don't have to cut them into tiny pieces. Yuck!

He doesn't seem to dig the Dubai, but loves the canned cockroaches. Oh well.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast