Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

1 members and 2,800 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Very cool!! I'm anxious to watch this thread and see how he/she grows. I love monitors and really look forward to having the space to keep one. Congrats!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

Toref is shedding on his tail and seems agitated. He's all over the tank all day and then crashes at night. He shows interest in food when I put it in, but hasn't eaten in a few days; since the shed started. He's got plenty of energy and seems fine otherwise.

They love crickets, grasshoppers, etc. When he gets older, he can eat small mice as well. They also eat ground turkey and chicken (boiled - no oil), egg, mouse parts when young (CUT WHILE FROZEN!), snail (can o' snails is awesome and Frank loves the snails as well), and other insects.

I will offer live Dubai roaches, super worms as he gets older, occasional wax worms, butter worms, etc. However, crickets are not allowed in this house.

I found canned crickets, grasshoppers, soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms), and mealworms. I think that will work great. He can hunt the live food I do not mind having in the house, and eat the canned stuff of the others. I put in chopped up cricket and grasshopper today. He seemed interested and excited sensory wise, but still did not eat. He didn't even eat his mouse parts, which he seems to favor, especially the heart.

Apparently the canned insects, although not as cheap as freeze dried, are much better for them. Happy to do that for him to give him a varied and complete diet.

He's beginning to come up the front of the tank to see me when I come in, but as soon as my hand goes in, even with food, he runs and hides. It's going to take time to build his trust. That's okay, we have many years together. I just have to be careful when I clean the tank, etc. He's super fast and tiny. Yesterday, I replaced the alfalfa with printless newspaper. I shoed him into his hide and quickly put the whole hide in a holding container. Wasn't going to risk trying to pick him up yet. Need to earn trust first.

On the alfalfa, and as mentioned previously, he ingested a few pieces while dragging mouse parts around and eating them. He's okay, but I don't want to take the risk. Also, they are kind of smelly, and he spends literally 99% of his time off the ground. I think he could care less what's down there as long as he can run around on his branches.

I will say it's pretty cool having an active, diurnal, animal in the house.

Some pictures below of the cutie.

He sleeps in the weirdest positions.

"Toref, what are you doing?" "Just hanging around, Dad!"

Last edited by dakski; 01-28-2019 at 07:54 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2019),cletus (01-30-2019),Dianne (01-28-2019),Kam (08-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I'll probably have to enjoy him vicariously thru you (thank you!), but he's really appealing to me as lizards go. Temptation...

I like his "snakey-ness"...an alert & speedy, slender-bodied, tongue-flicking "weirdo"...so ADORABLE! But I can also imagine him getting loose & running circles
    around me! (hope that never happens to you) This is the first I've heard of a monitor that stays smaller & handleable, & I've had bug-eating lizards before,
    so even that's not a deal-breaker to me. But I already have enough pets...so for now I'm a watcher. I know my limits too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'll probably have to enjoy him vicariously thru you (thank you!), but he's really appealing to me as lizards go. Temptation...

I like his "snakey-ness"...an alert & speedy, slender-bodied, tongue-flicking "weirdo"...so ADORABLE! But I can also imagine him getting loose & running circles
    around me! (hope that never happens to you) This is the first I've heard of a monitor that stays smaller & handleable, & I've had bug-eating lizards before,
    so even that's not a deal-breaker to me. But I already have enough pets...so for now I'm a watcher. I know my limits too.
    They are similar to Ackies in length, but a little thinner, and quicker. As he grows, and learns to trust, he should be able to be held without issue.

Right now, he's too scared and quick and small. He'll be quick when older too, but not as shy and scared. Also, a little easier to track a 24 inch lizard that fits in your hand than a this tiny guy! Good thing they grow fast. Full size within 12-14 months from now.

Similar diet to Ackies as well. Ackies tend to burrow, but these guy is like the Yafe (Carpet Python) of lizards. He's in the open 80% of the time and climbing, etc. He's fun to watch and is a great display animal as well.

However, some people say to rely on Ackie care sheets for this guys. DO NOT. Similar temps, but they need things to climb. They recommend height, but they adapt very well, apparently, to semi-terrestrial life as well. They don't have to get super high up, as long as they have things to climb and places to hide.

Additionally, these guys like it much drier.

Again, very rare. However, if you want something more common, but still rare, and still bad to the bone monitor, Ackies are great.

I know his breeder though, so if you are ever interested................

Seriously, it's good to know when to stop.

If he eats the canned crickets and grasshoppers, I will be ecstatic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-28-2019)

Thanks
    I bet as he grows, settles in & relaxes a bit more, he won't be a fussy eater at all. Just my hunch...

Ackies have less appeal since they're bigger, & like you, I like a more outgoing critter that climbs. That's why I'm a rat snake keeper too. (so we'll see? )

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-28-2019)

Thanks

I have great news! I guess Toref was just settling in a bit. He went nuts for his food this morning!

He ate:

-Part of a canned silkworm

-Part of a canned roach

-A canned cricket

-A few mouse parts

ALL WERE CUT UP.

However, I need to cut them a little smaller. He doesn't seem to mind, but the smaller pieces were easier. They smell and are wet and gross. I didn't feel well this morning and cut them as quick as possible.

Either way, I gave him some variety and he loved it! I have no idea how something that small ate that much! They have super fast metabolisms and his basking spot is 130F. They digest fast. He can apparently eat like that 5-6 days a week while this small. When an adult, he will eat every 2 days, or 4 times a week.

Additionally, I am so glad I found these canned insects. They are moist and supposed to be nutritionally much closer to live than freeze dried. They also trigger his food response big time. They do wreak, but he seems to like that.

They are scavengers as well as hunters. I plan to offer live dubai, occasional wax worms and butter worms, super worms when he's bigger, etc. So he will get live variety as well. However, they can live on canned insects and other lean protein. They do not have to eat live. He spends most fo the day running and climbing around the tank anyway, so it's not like the only exercise he gets is hunting his food.

Video of Toref devouring some food! https://streamable.com/5u1gv

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2019),Jessibelle (02-01-2019)

Thanks
    That video is so cute! Funny how he backed into his shelter with bigger mouthful. He's adorable...

That makes sense that he likes food that reeks...I'm sure they scavenge "road-kill" & other left-overs in the wild...he should be fairly easy to feed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Mmmmm, canned bugs.

Seriously though, for those of us that don’t care for live bugs that would be an alternative. Hmmm, I can see that no one will ever eat dinner at my house if they discovered canned bugs in the fridge.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Mmmmm, canned bugs.

Seriously though, for those of us that don’t care for live bugs that would be an alternative. Hmmm, I can see that no one will ever eat dinner at my house if they discovered canned bugs in the fridge.
    , LOL!

I think it's awesome. I don't mind feeding live insects, but only certain ones. However, for people that do not want to feed live insects, what a great option. It's also a pretty new option as freeze dried (ugh) used to be the only alternative to live.

I will not feed live crickets, grasshoppers, etc. Nothing that's smelly and makes noise. Katie has also 100% vetoed crickets in the house. She isn't even happy about the canned ones!

I will feed live Dubai roaches, wax worms, superworms, mealworms, butter worms, etc.

I have quite the arsenal of canned and frozen food for him and other things I can cook.

I have canned silkworms, soldier fly larvae, grasshoppers, cockroaches, crickets, superworms, and snails (just meat, out of the shell).

He loves the mouse parts (I chop up F/T mouse fuzzy's) and I am going to try hard boiled egg and scrambled egg (cook in microwave in bowl - NO OIL/Fat, etc.) as well as boiled ground turkey and boiled chicken pieces. Frank likes the latter as well, in addition to the snails, a favorite of his.

If that isn't a varied carnivorous diet, I don't know what is!

For what it's worth, Dianne, I keep the open cans in the wine cooler (for up to a week - I date them). The unopened cans stay good for 2-3 years (they have an expiration date on each can) on the shelf with no need to refrigerate. I wouldn't keep the in the regular fridge...not that I care, but I wouldn't dare risk Katie finding out! Toref and I might be sharing an enclosure if that happene; I do not think I'd be sleeping in the bedroom that night.

I do the same for the Frozen rodents for the snakes. I also have a lot of those! Chest freezer! It's near the wine cooler too! So that all works out great.

Oh, and Dianne....

MONITOR, MONITOR, MONITOR, MONITOR!!!!!!!!!!

Leachies are cool too and they eat powdered food mixed with water. Food for thought .

I love Ezzy and Ferry (my two Rhachodactylus), with Ferry being much more active of the two, but they are both active at night, like everyone else except Frank. I am loving how active Toref is, and during the day as well.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2019),Dianne (01-31-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Bad David, bad bad! LOL.

Definitely food for thought. I’ve also looked at cresties because of Zina’s posts with her little cutie. I have to admit that Toref is too cute for words...love how active he is. Still, I need to behave myself for a while.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast