Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,091

1 members and 2,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

Toref looking great dave.
    I love the way lizards seem to listen to you when you talk to them
    I've the heard the thing about a scenting with a t-shirt in the tank, great idea, got nothing to loose either, fingers crossed

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 09-25-2019 at 02:45 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

When I put my shirt in the tank, I made another change as well. I replaced Toref's two cave hides (the ones with the lid on the top, but the bottom is solid and it's not the tank floor), which he is outgrowing, with the black Reptile Basics hides I use for the snakes as well. They have an offset opening, so he can feel secure in there, but maybe not quite as secure, which might not be a bad thing. They are also much lighter and easier to maneuver.

He was peeking out of one when I went to bring his food and he watched me put it down, then hid, then when I walked away (had things to do) he ate everything I put out.

I would really like him to be more aware of what I do in the tank, especially bringing food, so he gets used to that. Before, with the old cave hides, he was so tucked in there, I do not think he saw me put the food down and did not associate me with the food.

Hopefully, this is a good step also.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2019),richardhind1972 (09-27-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    When I put my shirt in the tank, I made another change as well. I replaced Toref's two cave hides (the ones with the lid on the top, but the bottom is solid and it's not the tank floor), which he is outgrowing, with the black Reptile Basics hides I use for the snakes as well. They have an offset opening, so he can feel secure in there, but maybe not quite as secure, which might not be a bad thing. They are also much lighter and easier to maneuver.

He was peeking out of one when I went to bring his food and he watched me put it down, then hid, then when I walked away (had things to do) he ate everything I put out.

I would really like him to be more aware of what I do in the tank, especially bringing food, so he gets used to that. Before, with the old cave hides, he was so tucked in there, I do not think he saw me put the food down and did not associate me with the food.

Hopefully, this is a good step also.
    Fingers crossed that will work dave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Those changes sound like they may help, I hope so too, Dave.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-27-2019),richardhind1972 (09-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Fingers crossed that will work dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Those changes sound like they may help, I hope so too, Dave.

Thank you both. I have nothing to loose and everything to gain. He's also getting some size to him, which won't hurt (well, except for the nails/claws part ). They are supposed to chill as they get bigger. I figure, by weight, he's about 1/6 to 1/8 of the way there. However, growing, as it does, is going much faster now as he's eating more and is a good 50G or so (if I had to guess) now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2019),richardhind1972 (09-27-2019)

Thanks

Man, Toref can eat. He ate 4 large crickets and a large pinkie today. No wonder he's growing like crazy. He eats 4-5 days a week and that much in each sitting. I am sure he would eat more, but I don't want him getting lazy and compliant. Plus, historically, feeding every day, he skipped meals.

I have to be cognizant of offering more every few weeks though, as he's growing that fast! I think I am going to need a bigger bowl!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-28-2019)

Thanks

So, Toref is not calming down. The opposite. He leapt out of his tank today when I went to pick him up and I grabbed him behind my head before he jumped off. Further, when I went to pick him up from his holding enclosure, he tried to bite me. Oh, and yes, he did pee on me again.

I've had him for the better part of a year now and he's not calming down. He's growing like a weed and I learned recently that Monitor's are mildly venomous - not just Komodo Dragons, but all Monitor's. That's why I didn't get a a hognose snake, being a kidney transplant recipient and immune suppressed.

He's going to get a lot bigger - about 6-7X his current size, and if the aggression/defensiveness continues, he poses a decent threat. Further, the time and risk reward is not paying off. I spend a ton of time feeding him, cleaning up after him, etc. I still can't handle him.

Katie suggested to me tonight that we give him back to the local breeder I got him from. I would be lying if I said I hadn't had that thought. She's not pushing and has zero interaction with him. She just knows I vent about him a lot.

I have never given up on an animal before (as an adult) and stick by commitments. Further, I wanted a challenge. However, I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew here.

I also think I am anthropomorphizing. He doesn't care if I give him back to the breeder and he gets another home. It's not like he loves me (understatement of the year).

Any thoughts? Everyone I've spoken to says he's old enough that this is probably his personality. I've also read in (special ordered out of print) monitor books that mention this species, that they are very flighty and do not tend to calm down. They may be the size of Ackies, but not the temperament of them.

Again, I don't want to do wrong by Toref, but I do not think this a good fit. I've had this thought for a while, but was hoping he would grow out of it.

Every animal I have is handleable and docile. He's the outlier.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-03-2019),richardhind1972 (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    It's a lot of work taking care of an animal you can't really relate to as you'd hoped. What they call a "thankless job", really. I don't blame you one bit for feeling
    this way. The only difference between you & me is that I knew without ever owning a monitor that it wasn't a pet I wanted. I wasn't aware that they are considered
    to be mildly venomous...I thought it was just that their saliva was full of toxic germs because of their scavenging diet in the wild (which isn't much "better").

Gee, & to think we talked you out of a hognose snake, lol. "Oops!" I personally wouldn't care for his flightiness & speed either, but your health truly is the
    most important consideration, IMO. The bigger he gets, the bigger risk of his bites to you. I'd rather have YOU around than Toref.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-03-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-03-2019)

Thanks

Well, Toref is getting a new home. Or, should I say, Torefet! Turns out Toref/Torefet was a girl. That may have been part the problem as the females are known for being more skittish.

Old enough to sex now anyway.

I had bought Torefet from the my friend who owns a killer reptile store. The breeder, his buddy, came in and spoke to me for a while, and specializes in dwarf monitors. I thought I had it covered.

I gave Torefet back to the shop owner last night. He offered me credit or money. I said I don't want anything except a promise that you either give her back to the breeder, or find the best home possible and do not just sell her to anyone. He agreed. The shop owner is a standup guy who's been doing this for 20 years.

Of course when he took Torefet out of her carrying container, she peed on him, repeatedly! Multiple times! He was surprised, but amused.

For the record, I know I did the best for Torefet, but also recognize that this wasn't the best fit. Katie cemented it for me and gave me an out while still keeping my chin up, so did many on this forum.

Every animal I have is interesting, but all are handleable and not a threat to me. Torefet was pushing it to begin with, but turned out much more interesting than handleable, interactive, or even a display animal. I need to stick to my philosophy that if my niece (8) can't handle it, I shouldn't keep it.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-05-2019),Bogertophis (10-04-2019),cletus (10-04-2019),richardhind1972 (10-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Really sorry that you had to get rid of him, but happy for you that it ended on a somewhat positive note.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-04-2019)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast