Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 292

5 members and 287 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

minatrea (49)
venefica (19)

» Stats

Members: 63,383
Threads: 237,156
Posts: 2,462,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Zrycc
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    2,782
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

    Toref is looking good post shed and growing like a weed. Way to quick to weigh, but he's got to be 25% larger already.






  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-15-2019),cletus (02-13-2019),Dianne (Yesterday),jmcrook (02-12-2019)

  3. #32
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    2,782
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

    Toref is still pretty shy, but boy is he eating like a pig, and growing!

    Here some pictures from the past two days and a video of him eating today (including 1 where he attacked from above while hanging on his log). He's eating bigger pieces now and I don't have to cut the insects and mice up so fine. He also doesn't seem to mind the calcium and vitamin dusting I do 1X a week.

    He eats mouse parts 2X a week and insects (cockroaches, crickets, and grasshopper are his favorites) 5-6X a week. His diet is varied and the insects are steamed in the can to preserve nutrients, however, they are not live. He doesn't seem to care for the live dubai and he's too small now for mealworms or superworms (plus he avoids them when in his dish from the can). With live food, I usually supplement for my other animals, but they get the benefit of me gut-loading the bugs. However, they also do not have UV lighting (Leopard Geckos and Ferry the Chewie). Toref has UV light, but he is eating dead prey items, so I supplement him as well. Calcium 1-2X a week and multi vitamin 1X a week.

    Video of Toref Destroying Canned Cockroach parts: https://streamable.com/9ozs1










    Last edited by dakski; 02-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-15-2019),Dianne (Yesterday)

  5. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,280
    Thanks
    7,317
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,480 Posts
    He's so handsome & looking more confident too. I give him about a year & then we'll also need a video of you, counting your fingers...

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-15-2019)

  7. #34
    Registered User Jessibelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-07-2018
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Images: 5

    Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

    David, I donít appreciate you making me want a Toref as bad as I am right now! HEíS TOO CUTE! I love him. So jelly of you and Katieís collection.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-15-2019)

  9. #35
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    2,782
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's so handsome & looking more confident too. I give him about a year & then we'll also need a video of you, counting your fingers...
    LOL! Actually not too worried on the finger part. He's pretty chill and when I go to pick him (1X a week to clean enclosure) he does spaz for a minute, but then more calm when I hold him. No letting him walk on me yet as he's way too fast. I have to restrain him and put him in a holding container. I also have to be very careful when I put him back. He's still rather small and super fast. Big and fast I can deal with, but also, he is supposed to calm down with age.

    Regardless, he has made zero attempts at me at this small size. He hisses sometimes, but then calms down when I pick him. He was super squirmy in the beginning, but even that is dissipating.

    Still waiting until he's a lot bigger to work on taming him down. For now, I am focusing on him seeing a lot of me and me watching him eat, etc. He's getting more comfortable with that.

    He is definitely acting more confident and he sure is handsome, especially after the recent shed. His face is starting to look less baby like as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    David, I don’t appreciate you making me want a Toref as bad as I am right now! HE’S TOO CUTE! I love him. So jelly of you and Katie’s collection.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry Jessibelle! He is pretty cool though. I'll have to see how he is when he's bigger and chills out some. That will be the litmus test on recommending them (Freckled Tree Monitors) as good pets as opposed to display animals. I think he will get there though.

    He really is fun to watch. I should get a video of him just crawling and climbing all around his tank.

    Also, it's MY Collection. ALL MINE!

    LOL - JK. I do 98% of the work and 90% of the interaction. However, Katie does enjoy interacting when she feels like it. She especially loves holding Ezzy and Ferry and feeding Ferry. I am incredibly happy she shares the reptiles with me and allows me/embraces me having them, all of them, in our house.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-15-2019 at 11:37 PM.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (Yesterday),Dianne (Yesterday),Jessibelle (02-15-2019)

  11. #36
    Registered User Jessibelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-07-2018
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Images: 5

    Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    LOL! Actually not too worried on the finger part. He's pretty chill and when I go to pick him (1X a week to clean enclosure) he does spaz for a minute, but then more calm when I hold him. No letting him walk on me yet as he's way too fast. I have to restrain him and put him in a holding container. I also have to be very careful when I put him back. He's still rather small and super fast. Big and fast I can deal with, but also, he is supposed to calm down with age.

    Regardless, he has made zero attempts at me at this small size. He hisses sometimes, but then calms down when I pick him. He was super squirmy in the beginning, but even that is dissipating.

    Still waiting until he's a lot bigger to work on taming him down. For now, I am focusing on him seeing a lot of me and me watching him eat, etc. He's getting more comfortable with that.

    He is definitely acting more confident and he sure is handsome, especially after the recent shed. His face is starting to look less baby like as well.



    Sorry Jessibelle! He is pretty cool though. I'll have to see how he is when he's bigger and chills out some. That will be the litmus test on recommending them (Freckled Tree Monitors) as good pets as opposed to display animals. I think he will get there though.

    He really is fun to watch. I should get a video of him just crawling and climbing all around his tank.

    Also, it's MY Collection. ALL MINE!

    LOL - JK. I do 98% of the work and 90% of the interaction. However, Katie does enjoy interacting when she feels like it. She especially loves holding Ezzy and Ferry and feeding Ferry. I am incredibly happy she shares the reptiles with me and allows me/embraces me having them, all of them, in our house.
    Hahaha! Katie has the best of all worlds. 2% of the work, and as much of the handling as she wants, or 10% I guess. If only I could get my husband more on board...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #37
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-08-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks
    2,782
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,535 Posts
    Images: 134

    Re: Toref/Torefet: Varanus Tristis Orientalis/Freckled Tree Monitor

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    Hahaha! Katie has the best of all worlds. 2% of the work, and as much of the handling as she wants, or 10% I guess. If only I could get my husband more on board...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She can have as much time with the reptiles as she wants. She usually wants about 10%. It's Katie limited, not Dave limited.

    Good luck working on your hubby.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Jessibelle (Yesterday)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1