Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,629

1 members and 1,628 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

What to do when things go wrong? Discussion.

After my issue with Rainbow and Monty, some members of the forum brought advice on how to keep things from going wrong. This is a place advice on what to do when things do go wrong. It happens to everyone eventually if you keep them long enough. This is going to be limited to the specific subjects listed below. Please share and respect everyone and their opinion. Please keep in mind that this is almost purely opinion but some tried and true practices. Share the good and bad alike.

Rules
    1. No bashing another opinion.
    2. Express yourself and respect others.
    3. Discussion is encouraged by asking questions with respect. (Saying you disagree is acceptable. Saying someone is wrong is not.)
    4. No species specific discussion about weather they make good pets or not. (We all make our own decisions on what we feel like we can handle.)
    5. RESPECT

Subjects of discussion.

1. Bites

2. Constriction

3. Hots

4. Cohabitation.

Go...……….

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I'll go.

The only bite I've ever had that HURT!

Totally my fault. Of course.

The mistake I made ? I was distracted.

The culprit was a 6 foot BCI, common redtail boa. I was going to grab the water bowl to give him fresh water. The bowl was not far from the opening of the hide.

Background story. It was a rainy day and I had a worker come to my house to install a satellite dish on top of the roof. I told the worker it would be ok if he came on another day, given it was beginning to rain. But he insisted it would be alright. He put the ladder on my back porch (on tiles) and proceeded to do his thing.

As I was reaching for the water bowl I suddenly heard a GOD AWFUL racket. It sounded like my roof was coming down. Then a loud crash. During all that I turned my body and looked up. My arm was still in the cage and I guess I moved that as well, right in front of the hide. And in a very quick motion. I guess my boy figured there is a rat running past my hide, I better grab it quick. Or..he was startled. Either way, he hit. And HARD.
    Already freaked out by racket, and then that sudden pain, I instinctively pulled my hand back. And drove his teeth deeper. His upper jaw was in the top of my hand, lower jaw in the bottom of my hand. Right in between thumb and index finger. His teeth hit the big vein on top of my hand.

Thankfully he released pretty quickly. There was quite a bit of blood running down my arm and pooling under the skin on top of my hand. In no time I had a golfball sized swelling on top of my hand, all blood under the skin.

I ran to the door leading out to my back porch and found the guy and ladder laying on the ground. On his way down he ripped off my gutters and also broke off the umbrella on my table. Then he looked up and saw me standing there with blood running down my arm.
    Oh it was a lovely scene Of course all that happened while my mom and grandma were visiting from Germany.

So, what did I learn ? NEVER be distracted when dealing with those animals. Have your eyes and mind ON THEM always, when dealing with them. Even if a guy falls off your roof, taking down everything in his path..

My hand turned all kinds of colors during the next couple of weeks. And I picked teeth out of it even days later...
    Last edited by zina10; 01-21-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019),CALM Pythons (01-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2019),e_nigma (01-26-2019),the_rotten1 (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Re: What to do when things go wrong? Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I'll go.

The culprit was a 6 foot BCI, common redtail boa. I was going to grab the water bowl to give him fresh water. The bowl was not far from the opening of the hide.

Background story. It was a rainy day and I had a worker come to my house to install a satellite dish on top of the roof. I told the worker it would be ok if he came on another day, given it was beginning to rain. But he insisted it would be alright. He put the ladder on my back porch (on tiles) and proceeded to do his thing.

As I was reaching for the water bowl I suddenly heard a GOD AWFUL racket. It sounded like my roof was coming down. Then a loud crash. During all that I turned my body and looked up. My arm was still in the cage and I guess I moved that as well, right in front of the hide. And in a very quick motion. I guess my boy figured there is a rat running past my hide, I better grab it quick. Or..he was startled. Either way, he hit. And HARD.
    Already freaked out by racket, and then that sudden pain, I instinctively pulled my hand back. And drove his teeth deeper. His upper jaw was in the top of my hand, lower jaw in the bottom of my hand. Right in between thumb and index finger. His teeth hit the big vein on top of my hand.

Thankfully he released pretty quickly. There was quite a bit of blood running down my arm and pooling under the skin on top of my hand. In no time I had a golfball sized swelling on top of my hand, all blood under the skin.

I ran to the door leading out to my back porch and found the guy and ladder laying on the ground. On his way down he ripped off my gutters and also broke off the umbrella on my table. Then he looked up and saw me standing there with blood running down my arm.
    Oh it was a lovely scene Of course all that happened while my mom and grandma were visiting from Germany.

So, what did I learn ? NEVER be distracted when dealing with those animals. Have your eyes and mind ON THEM always, when dealing with them. Even if a guy falls off your roof, taking down everything in his path..

My hand turned all kinds of colors during the next couple of weeks. And I picked teeth out of it even days later...
    I forgot to mention. The first words out of his mouth (the guy laying on my porch) were "I hope you have good insurance". What a donkey butt. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to put a ladder up to the roof (on wet tiles) on a rainy day, nor to climb on a wet roof. He insisted it was fine. And I got bit
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019),CALM Pythons (01-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2019)

Thanks

I'll go.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a rough day all together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks

I forgot to mention. The first words out of his mouth (the guy laying on my porch) were "I hope you have good insurance". What a donkey butt. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to put a ladder up to the roof (on wet tiles) on a rainy day, nor to climb on a wet roof. He insisted it was fine. And I got bit
    He came to perform a service. He did damage to your house. Sounds to me he needed the good insurance.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019),e_nigma (01-26-2019),Hannahshissyfix (01-22-2019),zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    He came to perform a service. He did damage to your house. Sounds to me he needed the good insurance.
    Exactly ... he should have PL insurance ( public liability ) .

I have a feeling it's compulsory to be honest ... in order to protect their customers ( you ) should anything go amiss .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-21-2019)

Thanks

After my issue with Rainbow and Monty, some members of the forum brought advice on how to keep things from going wrong. This is a place advice on what to do when things do go wrong. It happens to everyone eventually if you keep them long enough. This is going to be limited to the specific subjects listed below. Please share and respect everyone and their opinion. Please keep in mind that this is almost purely opinion but some tried and true practices. Share the good and bad alike.

Rules
    3. Discussion is encouraged by asking questions with respect. (Saying you disagree is acceptable. Saying someone is wrong is not.)
    4. No species specific discussion about weather they make good pets or not. (We all make our own decisions on what we feel like we can handle.)
    5. RESPECT

Subjects of discussion.

1. Bites

2. Constriction

3. Hots

4. Cohabitation.

Go...……….
    Let's get back on track.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    1. Even with binder clips, snakes can still escape tubs. It happened with my ones with a slim head and my ball python. With enough persistence and time, they will get out. So I learned to put the slim snakes (ie colubrids) in lockable glass tanks like Critter Cage or a pvc cage like AP. Or if I choose to continue to use the tub, add more clips and keep the room door (keep the room clutter free and snake proof) closed in case it gets out again, I can find it.

Or go rack.

On a side note, depending on your state/city laws, as the home owner, you may be liable for injuries the worker sustained from your property. For example, in FL, if you hired a contractor who had no insurance to work on your roof, he slipped and fell, he can file a claim with your home insurance. Without going into too much details, just know what it may seem obvious (like he should not be working on a roof while raining) may not free you from being liable.

Whether or not he gets any money depends on how much fault the insurance company thinks he has on his part vs your part as the owner, and how hurt he is or how the injury contributed to aggravate his existing injuries. So it is always recommended to hire licensed contractors who are almost always insured. So if their employees were hurt, they would file the claim with their employer's insurance.

Ok, back on track.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    1. Even with binder clips, snakes can still escape tubs. It happened with my ones with a slim head and my ball python. With enough persistence and time, they will get out. So I learned to put the slim snakes (ie colubrids) in lockable glass tanks like Critter Cage or a pvc cage like AP. Or if I choose to continue to use the tub, add more clips and keep the room door (keep the room clutter free and snake proof) closed in case it gets out again, I can find it.

Or go rack.

On a side note, depending on your state/city laws, as the home owner, you may be liable for injuries the worker sustained from your property. For example, in FL, if you hired a contractor who had no insurance to work on your roof, he slipped and fell, he can file a claim with your home insurance. Without going into too much details, just know what it may seem obvious (like he should not be working on a roof while raining) may not free you from being liable.

Whether or not he gets any money depends on how much fault the insurance company thinks he has on his part vs your part as the owner, and how hurt he is or how the injury contributed to aggravate his existing injuries. So it is always recommended to hire licensed contractors who are almost always insured. So if their employees were hurt, they would file the claim with their employer's insurance.

Ok, back on track.
    He was licensed and insured, not independent, either. I told him explicitly that I didn't think it was a good idea to get on the roof in the rain. I told him I wouldn't mind re-scheduling. He had a attitude to begin with, did NOT want to reschedule and all but insisted to get the job over with. He also seemed rushed. Short of ordering him off of my property, there was nothing I could do. Me nor my insurance had to pay a penny and he had to come back and fix my gutters. Which he did a crappy job of, because they leaked from that day forward.

Back on topic, I agree about snakes being escape artists. If a lid even gives a tiny bit, they will sqish their way out, even if it means they cause themselves harm by getting scrapes or even getting stuck. Seen it all !!

I also had one get loose in car while driving. That was bad...especially since I couldn't pull over or stop right then. I was on one of those long drawn out bridges. I held on to him with one hand and was driving with the other. He was just a small russian ratsnake, but he had hooked himself around the headrest post, and there was no getting him off while driving. As soon as I could, I pulled over and wrestled him off of there and back into his tub

Since then I double and tripple check when traveling with snakes !!!
    Zina

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2019)

Thanks

Rules
    5. RESPECT

Subjects of discussion.

1. Bites

2. Constriction

3. Hots

4. Cohabitation.

Go...……….
    Let's get back on track.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Just my .02 but I've been reading your two threads and I really think you need to let go of your over analyzing everything that's said and stop trying to tell people what they can and cannot say. It's an open forum and if you don't like what's said then just ignore it. But when you chastise people for not being on subject and then start a new thread and make your own posting rules and publish them in RED BOLD letters, it's over the top.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (01-21-2019),Bogertophis (01-21-2019),Hannahshissyfix (01-22-2019),jmcrook (01-21-2019),Kira (01-21-2019),MissterDog (01-21-2019),redshepherd (01-21-2019),Sonny1318 (01-21-2019)

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast