Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,700

1 members and 2,699 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts

Re: Feeding ball python for the first time, refused?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Aww that's so cute! I'd love a lap snake. I think mine is still a bit nervous about being taken out, if I let him roam around he tries to get under furniture or into tight spots. I always have to keep a close eye on him.
    Just be gently & patient...holding them close to us so they feel sheltered works best...they stress when out in the open (instincts to beware of predators).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (01-28-2019),Luvyna (01-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Feeding ball python for the first time, refused?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't leave prey items on paper towels...it takes very little moisture for a paper towel to stick to the rodent, & then be ingested by the snake. That can result in
    a health issue (serious blockage) as snakes cannot digest paper towels. It's best they don't swallow any substrate: even though a little may not hurt, & probably
    happens in the wild, it's easy to avoid with our pets by putting prey on something that functions safely as a "plate", such as a paper plate, a plastic food container
    lid, even a piece of cardboard.

Mice & rats smell & presumably taste quite different. Some snakes automatically like both, but others take some persuading to switch from one to the other. That's
    likely what your problem was.

Some snakes need more than a week of settling in before they'll feed also. Do you know when she ate last, Shadowy? She might even be going into a shed.
    (I assume you know not to handle a new snake until it's feeding reliably -preferably 3 times- at normal intervals.) Just be patient & try not to worry.
    And by the way...
    This ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    Update! I offered her a fuzzy rat today, refused to start with but I left it in there about an hour ago, I just checked on her and it’s gone! I feel so much better. My next idea was going to offer her live prey.

Also funny story, I got in touch with the breeder and it turns out she was eating mice before. So I’m not sure why she didn’t like the mice I had offered before. I guess I’m fortunate it was so easy to switch her to rats. Lol
    That's great news !

A drop feeding Royal python is a definite PLUS

My Royals all do best strike feeding from within their hides , evenings only and in dim / low lighting ... the master~stroke is to give them a blast with hairdryer a moment before offering !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (01-28-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123