Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,540

0 members and 1,540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is This Scale Rot? Please Help

My BP developed what I think is scale rot while a family member was keeping him for me. I had been having trouble keeping the humidity up, so I switched the substrate from cypress mulch to a combination of Eco Earth and Repti Bark which did help with the humidity but I guess too much. At first I thought the redness on his belly was just bits of the eco earth but it wouldn’t wipe off and now I am convinced it’s scale rot. I am attaching links to some pictures because I don’t know how to add pictures on here. I have been doing betadine soaks (10%) and applying neosporin (with no pain killers) twice daily since the 15th and I switched him to paper towel as substrate. I disinfected the whole tank, and poured boiling water on his hides and his branch. The redness on his belly looks a little bit better but his scales are starting to fall out, mainly while he is getting soaked. This is my first reptile and obviously first time dealing with scale rot so I am stressed on what to do. If it doesn’t get better in the next day or two I will have to take him to the vet but I would rather try treating it myself first, if I am able to. Does this look like scale rot? If it is, how severe does his look? Any tips on how to help him before I have to take him to the vet? I feel horrible for him.

http://i.imgur.com/E7xDtZg.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/18OxCXK.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ET4GJ6k.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/1pR98Ua.jpg

Thanks

Re: Is This Scale Rot? Please Help

Switch him to paper towels. What is your temperature and humidity at? I've delt with scale rot before and it looks like it is the start of it. I wouldn't use polysporin at all. Betadine soaks daily like you've been doing. If it is scale rot that's about all you can do for him.

I had a Male a couple years ago get scale rot and it covered about 1/3rd of his belly and took several months to heal.

You did the right thing by cleaning his enclosure. If it is scale rot it's in its early stages but it's best to see a vet if possible.

Edit because I cant spell
    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Toasted Hippo; 01-17-2019 at 11:33 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toasted Hippo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-17-2019)

Thanks

My humidity is now 50-55% and my temps are 75-77 ambient and my UT is set to 90. I have switched him to paper towels. Would you recommend doing the betadine soaks once or twice daily?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbs1417 View Post
    My humidity is now 50-55% and my temps are 75-77 ambient and my UT is set to 90. I have switched him to paper towels. Would you recommend doing the betadine soaks once or twice daily?
    I'd recommend once daily as to not stress the snake out to much. It may start to look worse before it gets better though but you seem to have caught it early. Good luck and hopefully you get the lil guy all better

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I see nothing worrying that won't disappear completely with the next shed.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2019)

Thanks

Thank you both for your replies. Here is an updated picture. I have lowered his daily betadine baths to once a day, as suggested, but I’ve very worried about him. His scales on his belly are falling out. Is this a normal part of the healing process? Does it seem like he is getting better or worse?

http://imgur.com/C7DQdfn

http://imgur.com/vXQ7gFr

http://imgur.com/nR9A4nb

http://imgur.com/ZNq22Zd

Thanks

Also, how do I go about feeding him? He is due for a feeding but how will I do the betadine baths when you’re supposed to leave them alone for 48 hours after eating? If I skip the baths for 2 days will his scale rot get worse?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Are there any signs he is going into shed?

I ask mainly because of the colour change of the scales. I'd be tempted to skip the baths alltogether for a few days and stop applying anything to the snakes skin.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Are there any signs he is going into shed?

I ask mainly because of the colour change of the scales. I'd be tempted to skip the baths alltogether for a few days and stop applying anything to the snakes skin.

He doesn’t seem to have any sign of shedding. His eyes aren’t blue and his stomach isn’t pink. His scales on his stomach have mostly fallen out. Is that a normal part of the healing process for this?

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I hope you get a response soon from keepers that have dealt with this. Ive never heard of scales all falling off their belly. Im sure you have Googled but id keep trying until you find something that is similar to help explain what might be happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast