Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,602

1 members and 2,601 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus

Thread: Lessons learned

Thanks

Lessons learned

In light of skyrivers recent thread I thought it might be kinda fun/interesting/beneficial to share some experiences of the harder lessons learned.
    I started with my first male ball python in 5th grade, within a few years with the support of my mom I had several other reptiles including 2female ball pythons. My bedroom had a nook with a built in desk that my dad took out and we did a built in in wall cage about 5 1/2x3x3 ft cage with sliding doors. It was a very naturalistic setup with multiple levels, large branches, waterfall and a misting system. The trio lived in there for several years but one night my big female Mia that was just a touch under 6ft escaped by pushing her way between the plexiglass doors. Our house was built in 1959 and had the old underground hvac system, of course my vent cover wasn't on because we were remodeling and she ended up down there under the house. We of course assumed the worst till almost 2 full months later when my mom heard my Legos moving around on my floor. Took a trip to the vet the next day to get checked out. She had a minor RI and 9 eggs in her haha. Less then 2 weeks later she laid. Shortly after we replaced the plexiglass with 1/4" tempered glass on steel track that she couldn't bend.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Lessons learned

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeboyaz View Post
    In light of skyrivers recent thread I thought it might be kinda fun/interesting/beneficial to share some experiences of the harder lessons learned.
    I started with my first male ball python in 5th grade, within a few years with the support of my mom I had several other reptiles including 2female ball pythons. My bedroom had a nook with a built in desk that my dad took out and we did a built in in wall cage about 5 1/2x3x3 ft cage with sliding doors. It was a very naturalistic setup with multiple levels, large branches, waterfall and a misting system. The trio lived in there for several years but one night my big female Mia that was just a touch under 6ft escaped by pushing her way between the plexiglass doors. Our house was built in 1959 and had the old underground hvac system, of course my vent cover wasn't on because we were remodeling and she ended up down there under the house. We of course assumed the worst till almost 2 full months later when my mom heard my Legos moving around on my floor. Took a trip to the vet the next day to get checked out. She had a minor RI and 9 eggs in her haha. Less then 2 weeks later she laid. Shortly after we replaced the plexiglass with 1/4" tempered glass on steel track that she couldn't bend.
    How much fun was that? I could share a few stories for sure. Like when I was exhausted and put Oreo back my California King snake. I apparently forgot to put the clips on. I went into the living room a few minuets later and Oreo had made her way into Rainbow's enclosure. Guess she is just so small that she found a way in. I got to her quickly but Rainbow showed no interest in eating such a small thing. LOL Now I am paranoid about my latches and locks.

How did the Eggs do? Were you successful at hatching them?