Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,375

1 members and 1,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My BP got loose

Thanks
    guess maybe I'll put the mouse in the tank, put the lid on, and just wait for a while, see if he comes out and approaches the tank, and then I could just grab him. He's very shy. if not, then i'll have to come up with another idea. What would the mouse eat? Just throw some like Cheerios in there? Water is already in there.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: My BP got loose

Quote Originally Posted by Acedink View Post
    I guess I could try covering half or 3/4 of the cage, and hopefully the mouse wouldn't try that side, or put the top on, and maybe at least put the trail cam on it to see if he tries to get the mouse.
    How tall is the tank? Covering part won't do anything, a mouse would go for the opening. You'd be better off putting the mouse in a small plastic ventilated "Critter
    Cottage" with food & water, & leave that in the tank...the mouse's scent will spread just fine.

You could put (unsalted) nuts-seeds-grains including popcorn (popped or not) in. Cheerios, meh. Lettuce or slice of apple for moisture.
    Raw carrot, uncooked green beans, stuff like that are best, not "manufactured" foods. Uncooked pasta ok too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-17-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    hes in a 10 gallon tank now, so not very tall. He would need to be upgraded to a bigger tank probably in the next 2-3 months.

Thanks

hes in a 10 gallon tank now, so not very tall. He would need to be upgraded to a bigger tank probably in the next 2-3 months.
    Mice can jump out of a 10 gallon...or at least, I wouldn't bet on them staying in it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-19-2019),Sonny1318 (01-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Mice can jump out of a 10 gallon...or at least, I wouldn't bet on them staying in it.
    Well, I do have a small critter carrier at home already I could use. I'll also of course check again in the room, especially under and in furniture.

Thanks
    also, how good are those metal clamps that they sell at Petsmart? Looks like the bottom slips up under the top plastic of the tank and then the top part notches over the lid. I saw a video review of a different one (1 plastic piece inserted underneath the top part, and then a second plastic piece clipped on to that, and then it could slide on/off) that looked VERY flimsy.

Thanks

Well, I do have a small critter carrier at home already I could use. I'll also of course check again in the room, especially under and in furniture.
    Perfect. (they are so handy to have) Hope you find your snake soon, before you have to do all this stuff... As already mentioned, snakes seem to gravitate to upholstered
    furniture & beds...if there's a hole in the lining, they find it & go inside. (remember they're looking up from floor-level) Don't sit down until you check under all the cushions.

Thanks

also, how good are those metal clamps that they sell at Petsmart? Looks like the bottom slips up under the top plastic of the tank and then the top part notches over the lid. I saw a video review of a different one (1 plastic piece inserted underneath the top part, and then a second plastic piece clipped on to that, and then it could slide on/off) that looked VERY flimsy.
    I've never trusted those clips either. IF you weigh down the lid, you don't do it with something heavy in the middle. That makes the screen sag & as you now know,
    the sides can still be pushed up just enough. Assuming the tank is rectangular, you weigh it down at each end, with something that's slightly longer than the cage is
    wide going across for support (so the weight isn't on the screen but on the sides of the tank) and THEN put something heavier than a snake can lift on each side. Best
    to error on the side of caution (a little heavier than you think possible).

For store-bought screen tops you can also strap them down, even w/ bungee cords, attaching them to the base that the tank sits on. Metal strapping that plumbers
    use is useful too, in a pinch: it has holes that can easily be hooked into, so cut 2 pieces that fit under tank with a couple inches folding up on either side to hook into.

Most of my tanks have tops I made of wood (frame) with welded wire, & I attach eye-bolts to each corner & run a light chain (w/ snap-bolt clip like on a dog leash)
    to eye-bolts installed in the wood cabinet the tank sits on. Nothing can push MY lids off when the chains are attached...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Sorry for the bad quality picture, you can get these through Amazon and other online pet shops. Four per tank lid, I like to see the ball python that could pop this one (with the matching Zilla screen top).
    Trust me they’re extremely strong, I’m surprised more people don’t know about these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 01-17-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

cincy (01-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Sorry for the bad quality picture, you can get these through Amazon and other online pet shops. Four per tank lid, I like to see the ball python that could pop this one (with the matching Zilla screen top).
    Trust me they’re extremely strong, I’m surprised more people don’t know about these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^ I have these as well. Or at least I did. I've just switched to a tub. But when he was in his tank, these were very strong and kept his screen lid in place. I recommend them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-17-2019)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast