Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

3 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My BP got loose

Thanks

My BP got loose

I feel terrible. It is my daughters BP, and I did not have clamps on the top, just a heavy rock. He got out about 2 days ago. It is just about the time he would normally eat a f/t mouse. Early on, he ate live mice.

If I were to buy a live mouse today, and stick it in his tank (aquarium with all glass sides), I assume the mouse couldn't climb the walls to escape. Is that a safe assumption? I put his tank on the ground now, and am hoping if he smells the mouse, he'll come eat it, and then curl up in his 'hot' hide to digest it.

Also, I have a trail cam usually used outside to see bigger animals. Would that pick up movement if he was in front of it, does anyone know?

My wife is not a fan of snakes, so she's pretty freaked out. My perfect goal is to find him quickly, and get him back in his home with some very good clamps on top.

I did try the plastic bag trick, but over many hours, did not hear him at all. I didn't know if he has found 1 particular spot and is just hanging there for a while. Currently he was eating f/t weanlings. Does that mean they are weaned? Ideally, I want to get a mouse that can at least last a few days with a little food so he has time to sense him and or come out from where he is hiding.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I have already checked under the washer/dryer, around the furnace, and the stove, dishwasher, and fridge.

Thanks

Thanks
    Maybe heck the room he was in completely, like in between everything. Maybe he’s still in the same room. Also make sure there are no holes in the walls since i’ve hear of bp’s to go into te walls and hangout there.. i’ve also heard of bp’s to go under couches etc.. hope you find him soon!! The trick you said with the mouse might be a good idea, and maybe if you place his/her hide on the floor with bedding with a heat lamp and water he may go there.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasmijn For This Useful Post:

Acedink (01-17-2019),Phoenix Rising (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    Great, thank you. Just feel so bad. Wife is stressed because he's loose, my daughter goes down and is like, "Hey Banana, it's Elena" thinking he's gonna come slithering out. I just feel terrible. Have no appetite or anything.

Thanks
    When my BP got out I found him behind the freezer, curling up at it for the warmth that the back put out. Maybe check behind your fridge? Or anywhere else warm. Good luck!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Acedink (01-17-2019),Phoenix Rising (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks. I'm hoping he is still on the lower level where his cage is. I'll see if I can think of anywhere else that is warm he might be.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: My BP got loose

Quote Originally Posted by Acedink View Post
    I did not have clamps on the top, just a heavy rock.
    If your ball python squeezed out of his cage under the weight of the large rock: then he probably scraped himself up or bruised himself and has been likely sitting in the exact same spot for the last two days feeling some pain. Since it is winter and warm air rises: It would not be a surprise to me if he was hiding in an elevated position (probably within 10 feet of the enclosure).
    *.* TNTC

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Acedink (01-17-2019),Bogertophis (01-17-2019),Phoenix Rising (01-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    If your ball python squeezed out of his cage under the weight of the large rock: then he probably scraped himself up or bruised himself and has been likely sitting in the exact same spot for the last two days feeling some pain. Since it is winter and warm air rises: It would not be a surprise to me if he was hiding in an elevated position (probably within 10 feet of the enclosure).

Thank you. I will check around when I get home.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Using a live rodent to bait him is a good idea, but don't underestimate how high they can jump when motivated...you'll be looking for a mouse instead of the BP,
    and they're more destructive. Good luck finding your snake though...hope it's soon. I agree he probably hasn't gone very far.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-17-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    I guess I could try covering half or 3/4 of the cage, and hopefully the mouse wouldn't try that side, or put the top on, and maybe at least put the trail cam on it to see if he tries to get the mouse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    When my BP got out I found him behind the freezer, curling up at it for the warmth that the back put out. Maybe check behind your fridge? Or anywhere else warm. Good luck!
    He already checked there. I lost a gopher snake once and found that he had crawled under the couch and found a way to get into the spring area under the seating through a slit in the underwrapping. He was just fine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Acedink (01-17-2019),Bogertophis (01-17-2019)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast