Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

2 members and 3,203 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help with more heat issues please.

Hello, It's me again. I'm getting close to the right temps in both my snakes habitats. I was worried that they were too hot and it turns out that they are not even close according to my new heat gun. I was terrified that they were too hot and it turned out they were very cold. I have the heating pad up all the way and it's still not there. I want to add a lamp that will give more heat but I need two pieces of information. What wattage should I get and what color should I get? I understand that snakes see some colors and it kind of concerns me that it would irritate them with some. Should I have two bulbs with different colors to simulate day and night? Should the temps vary at all between day and night?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Thanks

Re: Help with more heat issues please.

A ceramic heat emitter will be your best best for supplemental heat. No lights or anything is preferable. Remember ball pythons live their lives in termite mounds they only come out to feed and breed. Yes night time drops are perfectly normal, just remember that ideal temps are as follow, 90 on the warm side and 80 ambient through out the enclosure. What kind of enclosure are you using? If it’s a tub I’ll wait for someone that uses them to chime in because I have all 7 of my snakes in glass tanks. If it’s a tank your using, ensure that the heat mat is on the outside and that the glass temp from the inside reads 90. Not substrate temp, because that means the glass temp will be well into the 100s and when they burrow to the glass (and they will) they will burn them selfs and cause some seriously problems or kill themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Phoenix Rising (01-17-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

This is how I heat my tank sorry for the poop but don’t have another pic of where I have heat mat.

I hate a heat mat inside the tank (inside a thin glass encloser I made for mat) this stops snake sitting direct on it. I have probe set to 28 degrees Celsius, I then have a CHE slightly to left of hide so heat is not direct going on top of hide I have this set to 26 degrees the combined heat sources give his hot spot a nice 30-31 degrees Celsius and a ambient air temp of 26 degrees on warm side and 24 cool side.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamiekerk For This Useful Post:

boidavid (01-18-2019),Phoenix Rising (01-17-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Forgot to add CHE do dry up the air a lot but my viv holds humidity well my sensors are at 55-60 percent and I haven’t misted in about a week. Ignore that stick on piece of rubbish I have proper probes on both side now

Thanks

Analog readers are trash, really invest in a digital one. Much more accurate. Also heat mats should never be on the inside. How are you regulating the heat mat?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Help with more heat issues please.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Analog readers are trash, really invest in a digital one. Much more accurate. Also heat mats should never be on the inside. How are you regulating the heat mat?

ignore the stick on ones I have 2 heat probes inside, the Matt is regulated with a Matt stat the mat is inside a glass enclosure that I made so it works exactly the same as it was under a tank which is perfectly fine as the snake cannot directly lay on the mat.

Last edited by Jamiekerk; 01-17-2019 at 09:45 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I made it so I could safely put a mat inside due the enclosure being made of wood it would not work outside the enclosure due to thermal blocking.

Thanks

Ohhhhh I misunderstood, got it

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Help with more heat issues please.

Ok, I see the definite positives for the ceramic heat emitters. Now, what size should I get? I see 60W, 75W, and 100W. My enclosures are glass and one is a 20 gallon long [30x12x12] and the other is a 30 [36x18x12].

You all are awesome with your help!!!

Thanks

I have all digital thermometers. The heat mats are outside the tanks on the end and I have the probe between the mat and the bottom of the glass that are connected to thermostats. I also have a temp gun and check with that several times a day. The thermostats are at their highest but it's still not high enough when I check with a heat gun. I do find that the heat gun is very close to the temp that I have a probe under the glass in the middle so it leads me to believe it's pretty accurate. Much better than the thermostat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast