Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,196

0 members and 1,196 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Hiss?

Thanks

Question Hiss?

I was trying to put my probe a little bit in my ball pyhtons hide just to see what the temp is at night Beacsue usally I have it just out on the glass to get the temp of the hot side , now I have had her for 3 weeks and she is amazing , very good with handling has not missed one meal , even ate in shed . so when I lifted her hide up and touched her on the side a litttle as I was doing it , I don’t know if she hissed 😂 but it was like a tiny loud breath , it wasn’t like hissing I’ve heard from other snakes it’s more a little loud breath . just wondering if this is hissing or not , and why this happened and also is this normal or any sign of aggression

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No one can tell you what YOU heard based on a description, some people interpret hiss as a respiratory issue and some interpret respiratory issue as a hiss, only by hearing it in person can someone tell you.

With time you will develop a sense of what is normal and what is not.

Chances are because you were moving the hide it was likely a hiss, and no it's not a sign of aggression merely a warning for you to leave your snake alone. Defensive behavior is pretty normal in young snakes, and than you have some snakes that are just vocal no matter what you do and how old they get.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-17-2019),dakski (01-17-2019),Vinc (01-17-2019)

Thanks

Re: Hiss?

I know it isn’t the infection Beacsue I’ve watched many videos and looked up stuff Beacsue of it , it was only when I touched her , and she is still young about 6 months , she probably didn’t want to be touched just wondering if this has anything to do with aggression , thank u for the advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
    I know it isn’t the infection Beacsue I’ve watched many videos and looked up stuff Beacsue of it , it was only when I touched her , and she is still young about 6 months , she probably didn’t want to be touched just wondering if this has anything to do with aggression , thank u for the advice
    Like said above, just means they want to be left alone (most of the time.) If you were a tiny noodle with a head, you’d be a little defensive (not aggression) too against a giant hand

-Jason

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdawgs56 For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-17-2019),Zincubus (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    My BP, Ralph, is super sweet and calm. Yet even he sometimes lets out a hiss when I lift his hide or pick him up unexpectedly.

I feel it is the ball python equivalent to "MOMMM I DON'T WANNA GO TO SCHOOLLLL" haha. Like a simple objection to the situation. Or sometimes just cause they're surprised. I try to make my presence known to my snake before I interact with him so he knows what to expect.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-17-2019),Zincubus (01-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    My BP, Ralph, is super sweet and calm. Yet even he sometimes lets out a hiss when I lift his hide or pick him up unexpectedly.

I feel it is the ball python equivalent to "MOMMM I DON'T WANNA GO TO SCHOOLLLL" haha. Like a simple objection to the situation. Or sometimes just cause they're surprised. I try to make my presence known to my snake before I interact with him so he knows what to expect.
    It's exactly this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro