Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,884

1 members and 2,883 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rats spin off

Thanks

Re: Inbreeding With Rats?

NO IT'S NOT OK
    BUY FROZEN

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    NO IT'S NOT OK
    BUY FROZEN

Jellybeans - Is this a serious response? Breeding your own feeders is very much acceptable. Many feeder breeders pre-kill the rats themselves humanely using CO2 to freeze their own feeders or feed directly as pre-killed. How do you think that frozen feeders come to exist?...
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-16-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks

As long as they are killed humanely I have no issues with it
    But to each their own these are your pets and not mine

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

NO IT'S NOT OK
    BUY FROZEN...
    At some point the frozen rats were live too, y'know...
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-16-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks

I guess I was speaking from the heart because I used to have rats as pets and I loved them dearly they were wonderful pets but they all died from some kind of tumor because of all the years and years of inbreeding
    So the word inbreeding was just a bad word for me. That's one reason I could never feed live it will always have to be frozen

Thanks

NO IT'S NOT OK
    BUY FROZEN

Ummm... Okay? lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (01-17-2019)

Thanks

I guess I was speaking from the heart because I used to have rats as pets and I loved them dearly they were wonderful pets but they all died from some kind of tumor because of all the years and years of inbreeding
    So the word inbreeding was just a bad word for me. That's one reason I could never feed live it will always have to be frozen

I had a family of pet rats too, long before I ever got into snakes. They're intelligent, trainable & affectionate. I got a nip by mistake once & the 'perp' actually cowered
    in anguish because he obviously realized his mistake & felt bad. I wasn't mad & let him know that...he was the one that liked to lean on the cage wall standing on his
    hind legs, while I gave him a good back rub. And I know from interviews with actors in horror movies that the rats that appeared to be biting or eating them were all
    carefully licking them clean, also with no mistakes. I could do that with my own pets as well...rats will aggressively grab your fingers & but then carefully & gently lick
    all the food off, lol. And they do great work licking peanut butter jars clean....saves water before recycling.

I used to breed lots more rodents than I do now, & since some were sold to local pet stores as potential pets, I've always avoided inbreeding too. Though with rats as
    with humans, tumors can be both genetic & environmental as to causes. Our world isn't getting any safer or cleaner...it SHOULD be, as we know better, but making
    the commitment & enforcing laws to keep pollution in check isn't easy. We need better education too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I had a family of pet rats too, long before I ever got into snakes. They're intelligent, trainable & affectionate. I got a nip by mistake once & the 'perp' actually cowered
    in anguish because he obviously realized his mistake & felt bad. I wasn't mad & let him know that...he was the one that liked to lean on the cage wall standing on his
    hind legs, while I gave him a good back rub. And I know from interviews with actors in horror movies that the rats that appeared to be biting or eating them were all
    carefully licking them clean, also with no mistakes. I could do that with my own pets as well...rats will aggressively grab your fingers & but then carefully & gently lick
    all the food off, lol. And they do great work licking peanut butter jars clean....saves water before recycling.

I used to breed lots more rodents than I do now, & since some were sold to local pet stores as potential pets, I've always avoided inbreeding too. Though with rats as
    with humans, tumors can be both genetic & environmental as to causes. Our world isn't getting any safer or cleaner...it SHOULD be, as we know better, but making
    the commitment & enforcing laws to keep pollution in check isn't easy. We need better education too...
    This one was my little hairless love

Thanks
    He was awfully cute, Jellybeans...I hesitate to mention that the "hairless" gene isn't normal & takes some inbreeding...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I can understand where you're coming from, but you may be best off just avoiding this subsection on the future. (Save you some heartache) Lots of people come for advice on how to get started or for help because this is the best way for them to feed their snakes. (Most do not actually feed the rats to the snakes live unless the snake would starve itself otherwise. Typically, the rats are pre-killed by the same method as the companies selling frozen rodents online, i.e. CO2)

I wouldn't say that inbreeding was definitely the cause of those tumors, though. Rats in captivity live longer than in the wild and, same as with humans expanding their life span, they begin developing otherwise unheard of health defects (i.e. tumors, mental diseases, etc.)
    This is a large part of what makes rats such valuable test subjects for scientific research like working to cure cancers/tumors in both the rodents (though probably far beyond the cost a pet owner could or would pay when it is discovered) and later humans.

I grew up with hamsters and gerbils and currently have 4 gerbils (2 same-sex pairs), so I understand the sentimentality, but snakes have to eat too. Breeding my own is as much for lowering the cost of keeping snakes (I've got 15 snakes now) as it is to ensure that the food my snakes eat is high quality. I have the ability to ensure high care standards for the rats, high quality food, and safety from disease/parasites, etc while I have them and a quick/painless and humane death when it becomes necessary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (01-17-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast